Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

The Cleaners-when Mike and I covered the first issue on IIWY?(?) I knew I wanted this trade. I'm glad I bought it. The story has twists without being stupid and has a visual style more akin to CSI than a comic book. Loved it. The art has a Tom Raney meets Bernie Wrightson thing going for it that is out of this world. 9/10

Comic books: 55

Trade paperbacks: 15

Graphic novels: 1

Omnibuses: 2

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ghoul #2-Only got this because I had already bought it before reading the first issue. Another chunk of shit. The art isn't even up to Wrightson's standard and the writing...don't get me started...1/10

THE GHOUL HC

Written by Steve Niles, art and cover by Bernie Wrightson.

When Los Angeles Detective Lieutenant Lloyd Klimpt finds himself in the middle of a Hollywood mystery that falls way outside the norm, he knows he's going to need a different kind of help than he's used to. He finds it in the bizarre form of The Ghoul, a monstrous investigator with a reputation for solving the world's weirdest crimes.

88 pages, $14.99.

Point Blank-I read this in single issues when it came out and I remmeber liking it a lot more than I did this time around. It was probably my introduction to Brubaker but by today's standards, it's one of his weaker stories. That said, the Grifter/Lynch dynamic is tight and the use of TAO (maybe the greatest Alan Moore character creation ever) is solid. The story swerves wildly without control at times and I really feel that a tighter four issue collection would have been better. The art was pretty bad too. Colin Wilson is not really suitable for this type of story. Either Philips or Bisley (who did the covers) would have been a much better choice for interiors. What the book does well, as elnino said, is introduce Holden Carver. Fucking great character and you had to know that Brubaker would continue with him after this. Overall, I love the Wildstorm Universe and dig the dark alleys we can sometimes get taken down. 6/10.

Comic books: 55

Trade paperbacks: 16

Graphic novels: 1

Omnibuses: 2

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 384

Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman, volume one

Tom Strong, book one

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 385 (or 386)

Choker #1

Hit-Monkey #1

Milestone Forever #1

Ultimate X #1

X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back #1

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Azzarello does the impossible: he makes Lex Luthor sympathetic, and makes it easy to see his point of view on Superman. If he's right, that's up to the reader to decide, but it's hard to deny Luthor's point. Artistically, Bermejo's style keeps changing, which is a bit of a bother, but that's mostly due to having three extra inkers on the comic.

Planetary, volume two: The Fourth Man

Warren Ellis continues to show what a fanboy he is. Here we have tributes to the JLA, John Constantine, Spider Jerusalem, and more, but he makes the stories his own and he's having so much fun writing it. Best of all is how the mystery about Snow deepens while these homages are taking place. Ellis balances everything quite well.

Teen Titans: Year One

This looks fantastic, but the writing is a major misfire. A Year One story should take place over the first year of a hero's / team's career, not be a handful of disjointed stories. But that's what we have here. These tales could span a week, a month, or a year. One can't tell, so the Year One banner means nothing. Worse yet, the collection ends on a whimper. The big bad is set up early on, but we never see him defeated. The Titans simply rush him with a "Titans Together," and... it ends.

Comic books: 24

Trade paperbacks: 18

Point Blank-I read this in single issues when it came out and I remmeber liking it a lot more than I did this time around. It was probably my introduction to Brubaker but by today's standards, it's one of his weaker stories. That said, the Grifter/Lynch dynamic is tight and the use of TAO (maybe the greatest Alan Moore character creation ever) is solid. The story swerves wildly without control at times and I really feel that a tighter four issue collection would have been better. The art was pretty bad too. Colin Wilson is not really suitable for this type of story. Either Philips or Bisley (who did the covers) would have been a much better choice for interiors. What the book does well, as elnino said, is introduce Holden Carver. Fucking great character and you had to know that Brubaker would continue with him after this. Overall, I love the Wildstorm Universe and dig the dark alleys we can sometimes get taken down. 6/10.

I agree with a lot of what you said, that definitely was one of his weaker stories. I'm almost done with Sleeper got two more issues left, and man that book is crazy, I know there's a lot of shit that I missed because everybody is basically playing a game of chess with each other and on a first read, I'm like Carver, I feel like I know what's going on but I'm getting fucked with left and right. This book, while not essential, is definitely a good intro to a few of major characters in Sleeper (TAO, Lynch, and Holden).

You said you love the Wildstorm universe what else is worth a look?

Warren Ellis' Stormwatch run is incredible. Alan Moore and James Robinson combined for a really nice four year run on Wild C.A.T.s. The first Team 7 miniseries. The Team Zero Stormwatch and WildCATs books are great too.

PLus, anything else Travis Charest draws. Wow.

Avengers vs. Atlas #2 - Even better than the first issue. It was basically one big fight, but when you've got the original Avengers going up against the Agents of Atlas, that's an awesome fight. The first laugh of this issue was on page two, and came from one of my favorite characters right now, Gorilla Man. Never stop publishing books about Atlas, Marvel.

Batman and Robin #9 - I'm in the minority on the boards on this, but I loved this whole storyarc. It's a close second to the first arc of the series in terms of my favorite. This issue was probably the best in the arc, partly due to Alfred wielding a cricket bat. Cameron Stewart's art was brilliant throughout and I wish he could stay on this book; easily one of my favorite Morrison collaborators. Can't wait to see what Batman vs. Robin brings.

Joe The Barbarian #2 - Joe's journey begins and it's a much less decompressed issue than the first. The cuts between the two "worlds" in the issue were handled really well. Joe's dialogue continues to be realistic and Sean Murphy's art continues to be gorgeous. If Vertigo put out posters of Murphy's double page spreads, I would buy every single one.

Marvel Boy: The Uranian #2 - I enjoyed the story in this one a lot more than the first, but the art continues to be wonky. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. In the end, I think I'm going to call it an interesting choice.

Orc Stain #1 - After starting with a huge orc battle that sets up the plot, the story slows down to introduce the protagonist and give some background on orc culture. The writing was clunky in a few places, but overall, it was a nice set up. The art though? Fantastic. From the orc designs to the coloring, it's a great looking book from start to finish.

Total

Comic Books: 29

TPBs: 1

HCs:

Graphic Novels: 1

Manga:

The Authority #2, Avengers vs. Atlas #1-2, Batman and Robin #7-9, G.I. Joe European Missions #3, Hellblazer #25-26, Joe The Barbarian #1-2, Marvel Boy: The Uranian #1-2, Marvel Must Haves #1, 3-4, 9, 15, Orc Stain #1, Pinocchio Vampire Slayer OGN, Sam Slade RoboHunter #27, Secret Origins #50, Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid Digest TPB, Time Twisters #2,8,15,17,20-21, Weird War Tales #3, WildCats #1

Sleeper Season 2: I finished this series last weekend. It's good shit. Like I said, it's a chess game that really keeps you on your toes. It's got some great themes about identity and what makes up who we really are. Holden Carver is a great character and there were some bits in Season 2 that really are far beyond what's in Season 1 as Holden goes deeper and deeper in the intricate web he's in and also becomes bigger than a pawn on this game for his soul. I really liked this series.

Incognito: Very much in the same vein as Sleeper, but kind of the opposite. Brubaker does some great world building in this book, and really makes it seem fully fleshed out even though there's only this miniseries involving it. The main character is not as great as Holden was, the themes are a lot more overt in this book instead of the subtlety that was played so well in Sleeper. Also the lines between good and bad are much clearer in this book. Overall, it's still enjoyable, but there's too much that's similar to Sleeper and Sleeper was better.

Next is Earth X: I've read two issues so far, it's really interesting take on the Marvel chronology, but I'm not LOVING it.

Comic Books: 1

TPBS: 22

X-factor vol. 4, X-men: Messiah Complex, X-factor vol. 5-7, X-factor: Layla Miller, Authority: Relentless, American Virgin 1-4, Incredible Hercules: Against the World, Dark Avengers Assemble, Thunderbolts Burning Down the House, Deadpool vol. 2, Secret Warriors vol. 1, Fell, Avengers/X-men: Utopia, Planet Hulk, Point Blank, Sleeper: Season 1 and 2, Incognito

Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island #1 - My one silly Warren Ellis book for the month, since I dropped Gravel.

Sweet Tooth #6 - Continues to impress me.

Psylocke #4 - I enjoyed the mini for what it was. Ultimately meaningless, but it explores a character that's barely been used in years.

Cowboy Ninja Viking #4 - "Is he cry- tell me he's not crying."

Flash: Rebirth #6 - Most disappointing book of the last year, no doubt.

Blackest Night: Flash #3 - But this was awesome. Love love love the Rogues.

Blackest Night: JSA #3 - This mini started weak, but really picked up with each issue.

Green Lantern #51 - This sets up so many different stories when BN is done. Love it.

Blackest Night #7 - OMG Geoff Johns is ruining DC with awesome comics! Someone stop him!

Green Arrow #30 - Best Green Arrow story I've read in quite a while. Not saying much, but I've always been a mark for the character.

Street Fighter II Turbo #11 - Akuma fries Bison's face off with a Raging Demon! Many buys!

Comic Books: 46

HCs: 0

Flash: Rebirth #6 - Most disappointing book of the last year, no doubt.

The series as a whole, or just this issue?

I haven't been reading Rebirth, but I have been flipping through it. And visually, it didn't impress me. Then again, I'm not an Ethan Van Sciver fan, so that's no shock.

re: Flash Rebirth

I liked the final issue only because it hinted at the return of the guy I consider to be my Zoom, Hunter Zolomon. His story arc during John's old Flash run is a favourite of mine, I really like the motivation of the villain, even if it got reduced to bare bones by other writers and the character pretty much became just another bad guy for a while.

I just don't dig Barry being back, he seems completely superfluous to me. Its not like Hal, where he had some strong contrasts with his successors and some issues to work out post-Parralax & Spectre. Barry was dead and gone, he died a hero. Having both him and Wally running around makes Wally seem redundant.

I've only read the stuff dealing with Barry's return in Final Crisis and Blackest Night. Just from reading those, I already love the character.

So maybe Rebirth is just poisoning everyone's views of him?

Johns has said that he has used what he has learned about Barry from writing Rebirth in Blackest Night.

Johns has said that he has used what he has learned about Barry from writing Rebirth in Blackest Night.

Well then, that makes sense. I guess that means that the new Flash series will be with the "new and improved" Barry, then?

In that case, I might actually pick up that book every month.

Crossed #9 - Strong finish to the story Ennis wanted to tell. Should be interesting to see where the new team takes things, though Jacen Burrows will be missed.

Others I really don't have too much to comment on.

Mass Effect #3

Green Lantern Corps #45

Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors #1

Sweet Tooth #7

Complete Alice in Wonderland #3

And two IIWY books - Irredeemable #11 and Cry for Justice #7

Comic Books: 53

HCs: 0