Every comic you've read in 2010

Missy

In fact, I hated The Atom coming out of this. "I know my ex-wife went crazy and killed my friend's wife... then burnt her body... and faked her own attempted murder, all to win me back... but she's still a good person." Oh fuck you, buddy!

I think the idea is that Ray wants to see the good in everyone, and he's probably still a little confused about how and why Jean would make such a dark turn. If Lois randomly turned into an axe murderer, Clark would probably act the same way. It's also kinda like how Luke Skywalker insisted that there was still good in his father, which turned out to be true. And from what we learn about Ray and his ability for compassion, it makes sense.

But it's been at least two (in continuity) years since then. I'm not saying he should forget Jean and all the good times they had, but the character needs to accept what she became. Continuing to pine over her, after all of the people she hurt, that doesn't work for me.

If he wants death throughout the galaxy, why did Nekron allow certain heroes to return? He kept talking about how their return was his will, but I don't know if he ever said why he willed it in the first place. (If he did, pardon me if I missed it.)

They were basically like sleeper agents.

Why do you need a handful of sleeper agents when the dead across the galaxy far outnumber the living?

Along those same lines, the "we wanted to come back" bit? Ugh!

How is that bad? They basically explained through that that the key to unlocking the white light is the choice of life over death (hence why willpower is at the center of the spectrum).

Because it implies that other dead characters don't want to come back. What about Ralph and Sue Dibny, Ted Kord, Jonathan Kent, and so many others? Are we suppose to assume they don't want to live bad enough, that they don't want to see their friends and family again?

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Avengers Finale

Honestly, I was impressed. In the wake of Siege, the Avengers go after Madame Masque, The Hood, and Count Nefaria. I mean, it wasn't a bad story, but as an epilogue to Siege, it wasn't needed. And Hitch's art was very inconsistent, which is a problem of his as of late.

The closing moments of the book, though, were really cool. It drives home that New Avengers has always been about Luke Cage making the world a better place.

New Mutants #13

This is the seventh part of X-Men: Second Coming, and, it being right in the middle, is a slower-than-normal issue. Major points for the rest of the storyline are established, but it's mostly about how the rest of the mutants are turning on Hope for what she's cost them. A lot of people have died to protect her, and they're starting to wonder if Cyclops is wrong; she might not be the mutant messiah after all.

Unless there's a reason for it (RE: the story calls for it), I never like it when more than one artist draws a book. But here the two artists do a good job keeping the issue consistent. There is a difference in their styles, but it isn't so jarring as to be distracting.

As a single issue, I would say borrow it. But once the whole storyline is collected, it will be a nice breather issue.

Comic books: 66

Trade paperbacks: 34

Graphic novels: 1

But it's been at least two (in continuity) years since then. I'm not saying he should forget Jean and all the good times they had, but the character needs to accept what she became. Continuing to pine over her, after all of the people she hurt, that doesn't work for me.

Eh. Fair enough.

Why do you need a handful of sleeper agents when the dead across the galaxy far outnumber the living?

Because it completely disrupts the heroes' ability to fight back when their primary big players suddenly switch on them. Besides, since the key to defeating Nekron was by choosing life, it makes sense that Nekron would want to eliminate the heroes' morale.

Because it implies that other dead characters don't want to come back. What about Ralph and Sue Dibny, Ted Kord, Jonathan Kent, and so many others? Are we suppose to assume they don't want to live bad enough, that they don't want to see their friends and family again?

Nekron specifically "allowed" Superman, Barry, Hal, and the rest to come back, not every single person who's ever died.

Mighty Avengers, volume two: Venom Bomb

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the first two issues of this collection felt like a shot at Jeph Loeb. I mean, turning everyone into Venom? That's a Jeph Loeb plot if I've ever heard one.

Anyway, as for the story itself, after seeing Tony mutate into Ultron in the first volume, this was a little redundant. When the plot changed focus and became about Doom, the book picked up a little, but it's hardly inspired. It also felt like the storyline was written to put Tony over -- like it all revolved around the final line he delivers to Doom -- but it sacrificed the rest of the team to do it; they're simply hanging around doing next to nothing, then Iron Man swoops in and acts cool.

Mark Bagley's art is clean and does a nice job with the various scenes Bendis throws his way, but it often lacks the power the writer calls for. Where's the horror when everyone transforms into Venom, or the classic style when a few characters fall backwards through time?

That said, Marko Djurdjevic's scattered pages are awesome!

Trade paperbacks: 35

Mighty Avengers, volume three: Secret Invasion, book one

Just a collection of character-based stories that also build the drama around Secret Invasion. If you're looking for a storyline, this isn't the book for you. But if you want smaller stories that feed into a bigger one, it's good.

Alex Maleev's two issues look great, but there are a few odd panels. Such as when Nick Fury tells the soon-to-be Secret Warriors that Skrulls have invaded Earth. The look on Phobos's face is way too exaggerated.

I'm a Khoi Pham fanboy (say that three times fast), so I dug his contribution. Sadly, his was a Sentry-centric issue (try saying that three times fast, too), so I didn't care too much about the story. But, again, Pham rocked it.

Every time I get down on John Romita, Jr., he delivers an issue like this and reaffirms his standing as a master. It was a very quiet issue about Hank Pym being seduced by a Skrull impersonating a college girl, and he hit every beat well.

Trade paperbacks: 36

Mighty Avengers, volume four: Secret Invasion, book two

Even though this one does the same as the previous volume -- smaller, character-based stories that feed into Secret Invasion -- it feels much more disjointed. And while the focus on Hank Pym (both the real and Skrull versions) is commendable (seeing as how most people only see him as a loser and wife-beater), we've seen broken Pym time and time again. These Pym-centric stories are better than those I've read before, but there isn't anything new brought to the table.

The Secret Warriors chapter did a good job building the team up, but ultimately it added very little (if anything) to the volume, storyline, or their spin-off book.

The Captain Marvel issue was an interesting look inside the Skrull-Kree clone of Mar-Vell. His mental torment and identity crisis could have made for a very powerful single-issue story, but it wound up spiraling into a mindless action / filler issue. And like the Secret Warriors section, it didn't add much of anything to the storyline or volume.

Trade paperbacks: 37

Kick Ass: When your main character is very unlikable, you get this. Art is average, and in places bland, I don't see why everyone loves JRJR after reading this, it was just average art, that was following average writing. The villain is non existent, and the heel turns are just, stupid. All in all, it was alright for what it was, but it wasn't anything special. Unlike Wanted, I didn't end this thinking Mark Millar was a fucking tool, I ended this thinking Millar is just an average comic writer, who thinks most fans are idiots.

Trades: 13

HC:0

Comics: 100

GN:0

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 403 (or 404)

Fraggle Rock #1

The Last Unicorn #1

Magdalena #1

The Spirit #1

Ultimate Avengers 2 #1

Sadly, these issues won't wind up being covered on the show. So here are my thoughts:

Fraggle Rock #1

The first tale is too moral based, and there isn't enough of a story. Though the art looks great. It's perfect for a Fraggle Rock comic book. The second story is bland, and I don't even know what was going on in the third. Skip it.

The Last Unicorn #1

I wrote no notes for this one, but I can sum it up with a song:

I feel pretty,

Oh, so pretty,

I feel pretty and witty and gay!

And I pity

Any unicorn who isn't me tonight.

I feel charming,

Oh, so charming

It's alarming how charming I feel!

And so pretty

That I hardly can believe I'm real.

See the pretty unicorn in that mirror there:

Who can that attractive unicorn be?

Such a pretty face,

Such a pretty mane,

Such a pretty smile,

Such a pretty me!

I feel stunning

And entrancing,

Feel like running and dancing for joy,

For I'm loved

By a pretty wonderful girl!

Babychest.

Magdalena #1

The issue jumps around too much, never allowing the reader to get a foothold on the world, drama, and characters. The story also covers the same ground we've seen in other books with religion-based characters. So though it's not bad, it's also nothing new. It has very crisp, slick artwork, which is worth giving a look. Wait for the trade.

The Spirit #1

Angel, the foe, pops off the page in a very Howard Chaykin sort of way. And I mean that as a compliment. Sadly, I don't remember much of the story, but I wrote down "trade" for the score, so that's what I'll go with.

Ultimate Avengers 2 #1

Quoting my notes: "When a comic book costs $3.99, you cannot waste the first seven eight pages establishing The Punihser as a badass. We already know this!" Skip it!

New Avengers: Illuminati

This has to be one of the best-looking collections of all time. Jim Cheung is the man, and I'll grab anything he pencils.

The writing is also solid, but it relies so heavily on fitting in between the gaps of Marvel continuity, that I don't know if new readers will fully enjoy it. Longtime Marvel fans, however, will love this.

For me, the standout characters were Namor and Reed Richards. Their mutual respect but dislike for each other is amazingly realized here; the scene where Namor openly tells Reed that he has tried to get Sue to leave him, yet she won't, so he best love that woman is powerful. As is the scene where Namor threatens an Infinity Gauntlet-wearing Reed.

X-Men Legacy #236

Though I realize the X-comics aren't for everyone, especially their events, I highly recommend Second Coming. It's so damn exciting, and perfectly paced. Each time I finish an issue, I honestly cannot wait for the next chapter. And this was no exception. Mike Carey nails these characters; from Cyclops' leadership to Hope's doubt, he knows these people inside and out. In fact, one of my favorite moments in the issue is when Angel asks Iceman if he's okay with him turning into Archangel. It shows a level of friendship and respect between the two men, one that dates back to the team's formation.

My only gripe with the issue is this: some of Greg Land's art looks rushed and sloppy, specifically Cable's face. It's never the same and looks damn goofy when he smiles. That said, Land's rendition of the cameo characters is awesome! And without saying who they are, I hope he one day has a stab at their book.

Oh, and Cyclops with a jet pack = :yes:

Comic books: 67

Trade paperbacks: 40

DV8: Gods and Monsters #1

A disjointed and rushed waste of money is what this is. No time is spent on characterization or showing; it's all quick bits of exposition and bland telling. I seriously have no clue who anyone is, not even the characters I remember from the old DV8 series. (And no, this isn't my anti-Brian Wood bias coming through, 'cause I really wanted to like this one.)

Rebekah Isaacs' art is pretty solid, with it's clean, smooth lines. However, here it doesn't have the opportunity to shine. (I blame Wood's lackluster story for that, though.) The art is helped by Carrie Strachan's colors, which appear simple at first -- a little too simple, at that -- but the occasional landscape reveals a certain depth that wasn't seen before.

Comic books: 68

Avengers #1

With this team and storyline, it looks like Bendis is trying his hand at a more classic Avengers story. So far it feels like his other Avengers books, but with this one issue he's set so many things in motion, that I trust it will wind up having that classic feel.

It's interesting seeing Steve and Tony in the same room, because they haven't resolved everything yet. So there's going to be a lot of tension down the road. And though their interaction was brief, the Thor / Bucky meeting was funny.

John Romita rocks most of this book, especially Thor. There's a two-page spread where he levels the villain, and it's awesome! However, Steve's face rarely looks right. Sometimes it's too old, other times it's too young, and at time it's too Hank Pym. Also, his Maria Hill is shit. I mean, she is downright fugly!

Comic books: 69

ROBW #2: Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Not as good as the first issue, but interesting enough for me to continue. The art like I said was better than expected, but still wasn't for me.

Bily Batson #16: A fun comic, with no real consequence. Art was good. Nothing to really say. As the price will increase on this, I'm switching to trades.

Trades: 13

HC:0

Comics: 102

GN:0

ROBW #2: Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Not as good as the first issue, but interesting enough for me to continue. The art like I said was better than expected, but still wasn't for me.

This book is brilliant, has gotten nothing but rave reviews and...

Do you even like comics? I mean, seriously, dude, I don't think I've ever seen you give something a positive review.

This book is brilliant, has gotten nothing but rave reviews and...

Do you even like comics? I mean, seriously, dude, I don't think I've ever seen you give something a positive review.

Preston:

Justice League International Volume 1: Finally a justice league book I enjoyed. The team felt more like a dysfunctional family here, and everyone got a chance to shine. I knew that the one punch thing was coming, but still found it funny. Good art, and a fun read. Will get the preceding volumes down the line.

Return of Bruce Wayne #1: Damn you Morrison! I was going to ignore this! Now I have to get it. Fun issue, great art. I was expecting this to be crap, and I was wrong, a good fun Batman story, proving why Bruce deserves the cowl.

So.... :P

New Avengers, volume five: Civil War

A collection of one-issue stories about Captain America, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, The Sentry, and Iron Man during the height of Civil War. And except for the Luke Cage issue, they're all bland. Lots of shouting and blanket statements, with the real issue of "freedom versus security" hardly touched upon. Ugh!

The art is a mixed bag. Y'all know I don't like Howard Chaykin, but his Cap issue was okay. That said, I am tired of Chaykin-drawn comics with a million BRZZT sound effects cluttering up the backgrounds. And I hate the way he renders jeans. Leinil Francis Yu's Luke Cage issue is mostly good, but it was too dark and some of the black faces were, well, blackface. (One character looks like a young Al Jolson, as does Danielle Cage's dolly.) It's sad to see a very talented artist resort to that. The Spider-Woman chapter by Olivier Coipel was tight, but the writing gave him little to work with. Despite the Sentry issue being over-narrated, Pasqual Ferry does the Inhumans and The Sentry justice. And like he did with Coipel, Bendis gave Jim Cheung nothing to work with in the Iron Man story. Still, the artist did what he could.

Comic books: 69

Trade paperbacks: 41

New Avengers, volume six: Revolution

The best New Avengers trade in a while, but still not great. The only thing holding it back, really, is the juggling act Bendis was doing with the plot lines. It muddies the story and is very confusing.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz #1

This might be a great looking book, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I can really see kids loving it, though.

Comic books: 70

Trade paperbacks: 42