G.I. Joe 2

JackFetch

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MTV Movies Blog had a chance to talk to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and got a status report on the planned sequel to Stephen Sommers' summer 2009 hit G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, which grossed $300 million last summer. Although writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick have yet to submit a full script, di Bonaventura is optimistic they'll be ready to start shooting the G.I. Joe Sequel sometime next spring for a summer 2012 release.

Otherwise, Bonaventura didn't have a lot to say and was unwilling to confirm who might direct the sequel, which actors may be back and whether they might join the current trend by shooting the movie in 3D, although he did say he was "open to it."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/gijoenews.php?id=9350

• 9 months later...
Jon Chu has proven he is a real American hero, snagging the gig to direct Paramount's sequel to G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Chu is now in negotiations to direct the project, currently known simply as G.I. Joe 2.

A slew of helmers were vying for the chance to step into the shoes vacated by Stephen Sommers and right the Joe ship, which was a hit commercially but a flop not only with critics but with fanboys.

As Heat Vision reported last week, Paramount's choice came down to Chu and F. Gary Gray, the man behind Law-Abiding Citizen. Chu's edge was being responsible for Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, Paramount's hit documentary made for $13 million that has grossed over $53 million. Chu also worked quickly to recut the movie for a directors's "fan cut."

Sources say Paramount may find itself recasting major roles. While Channing Tatum is expected to return as Duke, it is unclear if Joseph Gordon-Levitt, whose dance card has filled out considerably since breaking out in Inception, will return as one of the villains. Insiders say Sienna Miller is also unlikely to return, with her Baroness role being recast or perhaps divided into a couple of new characters.

Joe 2 is a big move for WME-repped Chu, who before helming Bieber, made a series of dance movies. Joe 2 will now let him dance with bullets and action scenes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/justin-bieber-director-jon-chu-161450

Jon Chu has proven he is a real American hero, snagging the gig to direct Paramount's sequel to G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Chu is now in negotiations to direct the project, currently known simply as G.I. Joe 2.

A slew of helmers were vying for the chance to step into the shoes vacated by Stephen Sommers and right the Joe ship, which was a hit commercially but a flop not only with critics but with fanboys.

As Heat Vision reported last week, Paramount's choice came down to Chu and F. Gary Gray, the man behind Law-Abiding Citizen. Chu's edge was being responsible for Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, Paramount's hit documentary made for $13 million that has grossed over $53 million. Chu also worked quickly to recut the movie for a directors's "fan cut."

Sources say Paramount may find itself recasting major roles. While Channing Tatum is expected to return as Duke, it is unclear if Joseph Gordon-Levitt, whose dance card has filled out considerably since breaking out in Inception, will return as one of the villains. Insiders say Sienna Miller is also unlikely to return, with her Baroness role being recast or perhaps divided into a couple of new characters.

Joe 2 is a big move for WME-repped Chu, who before helming Bieber, made a series of dance movies. Joe 2 will now let him dance with bullets and action scenes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/justin-bieber-director-jon-chu-161450

Nothing about that press release looks remotely appealing. And I don't think it matters that I'm not a GI Joe fan either.

Just days after Justin Bieber: Never Say Never director Jon Chu was announced to helm the action sequel G.I. Joe 2 with a couple of characters having already been bumped from the roster, Paramount Pictures has decided upon a date for the movie, and they're going with August 10, 2012, which is exactly three years and three days to the date after the Stephen Sommers movie G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra opened.

So far, no other movies are scheduled for that date (it's early) but this will have the movie being released a week after The Bourne Legacy and the remake of Total Recall. With that being just 17 months away, expect there to be casting announcements very soon as they gear up for the highly-anticipated sequel.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74964#ixzz1FhL70QDS

• 3 months later...
Casting continues on Paramount Pictures' untitled G.I. Joe sequel. Following a report earlier this week that Dwayne Johnson is likely to join the cast comes, via The Hollywood Reporter, word that Elodie Yung is likely as well.

Yung, a French actress best known for her role in District 13: Ultimatum, would play Jinx, a ninja that joins the Joes. The actress will also soon appear in David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

The entire cast of the original 2009 G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra is not slated to return, but Channing Tatum is expected to return as Duke, as is Ray Park in the role of Snake Eyes.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167527-elodie-yung-up-for-gi-joe-2

• 3 weeks later...
Adrianne Palicki is the latest name to board Paramount Pictures' upcoming Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel, says a story at Deadline. She will play a key part of Joe team, Lady Jaye.

The film, to be directed by John Chu (Step Up 3D, Never Say Never), will continue the toy-inspired world depicted in 2009's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra with a primarily new cast (except for the returning Channing Tatum as Duke, Ray Park as Snake Eyes and, likely, Byung Hun-lee as Stormshadow). Newcomers include Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock, Elodie Yung as Jinx, DJ Cotrona as Flint and RZA as The Blind Master.

Paliciki is best known for her role on "Friday Night Lights" and for her casting in the recent "Wonder Woman" pilot that was, ultimately, not picked up. Her character is an integral part of the Joes and a master of espionage.

Deadline's story meanwhile suggests that one key part remaining to be cast is that of Joe Colton, the original G.I. Joe. A number of actors are said to be in the running and Bruce Willis is listed among them. Colton and Jaye's action figure cardback bios are viewable below, courtesy of YoJoe.com and the collection of Corey Stinson.

G.I. Joe 2 is headed into production very soon with an eye towards a summer 2012 release.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167737-adrianne-palicki-enlists-for-gi-joe-2

I can't believe they didn't go with the Lady Jaye/Flint love story in the first one, and instead made up one for Baroness and Duke. Also, the death of that Wonder Woman show was the greatest thing that could have happened to that girl's career. There is a ton of buzz around her, and nobody has to see her in that shitty pilot.

Thor actor Ray Stevenson has been cast as villain Firefly in Paramount’s G.I. Joe 2: Cobra Strikes. The action movie, to be directed by Jon M. Chu, begins shooting in Louisiana at the end of summer and is slated for release in August 2012.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/thor-actor-ray-stevenson-play-209347?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Movies%29

• 3 weeks later...
Joseph Mazzello is the latest name to board Paramount Pictures' upcoming Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel, says a story at Deadline. He will play a Joe by the name of Mouse.

The film, to be directed by John Chu (Step Up 3D, Never Say Never), will continue the toy-inspired world depicted in 2009's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra with a primarily new cast (except for the returning Channing Tatum as Duke, Ray Park as Snake Eyes and, likely, Byung Hun-lee as Stormshadow). Newcomers include Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock, Elodie Yung as Jinx, DJ Cotrona as Flint, Adrianne Palicki as Lady Jaye, RZA as The Blind Master and Ray Stevenson as Firefly.

Mazzello is best known for his childhood performance as Tim in Jurassic Park but has, more recently, appeared in the TV miniseries "The Pacific" and on the big screen in The Social Network.

The Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel is headed into production very soon with an eye towards a summer 2012 release.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168039-gi-joe-2-drafts-joseph-mazzello

• 3 weeks later...
With production about to begin on the still-officially-untitled G.I. Joe sequel, Walton Goggins has joined the cast. Variety has the news, saying that Goggins will play an original character named Warden Nigel James.

Goggins is best known for his role on "The Shield" and for his continuing role on "Justified." He also recently appeared in Jon Favreau's Cowboys & Aliens and will play a part in Steven Spielberg's Lincoln.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168199-walter-goggins-joins-gi-joe-2

Goggins is awesome.