Confederate flag...

Missy

Which one?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

None of the above. The Confederate States of America are the first thing that come to mind for me. Not something that was formed under the guise of racism, but something that was opposing stupid tarrifs being sent down from people who didn't understand the damage they were causing.

In terms of causes for the formation of the CSA:

Tarrifs > Slavery

Slavery was used as a huge rallying point for the North. Most people there didn't care until they heard about the HORRIBLE Southern slave owners. Little did they know that the majority of slave owners in the South were extremely wealthy and treated the slaves pretty well. Another funny thing about the Civil War? Emancipation Proclaimation... Unconstitutional.

From the little I've covered on slavery on the American Studies part of my course, I'm well aware that the Civil War was not fought primarily over the "ideal" of slavery and it's abolition. I don't feel qualified to pass judgment on it yet as we've barely touched on that side of the course, but the North/South divide seemed to have a lot more to it than slavery (I mean, Thomas Jefferson spoke against slavery but owned some himself).

The Civil War was fought over the South exporting cotton to other countires (mainly Britain if I remember correctly) and trying to become self-dependent by building factories to process their own cotton. The North didn't like that and found another reason to go to war to stop the South from achieving that. Slavery. That fact doesn't make slavery any less wrong, but it does make the North look pretty stupid, because there were slave holders in the North.

But really, when I see the flag, I see a divided country, a reminder of an ugly war, and most of all, death and callous disregard for the human rights of seemingly everyone involved. Just uglyness associated with that design. It's a shame. People who buy into the whole racsim thing and use the flag to display that are also pathetic.

Another funny thing about the Civil War?  Emancipation Proclaimation... Unconstitutional.

I know so very little about history (which is sad, 'cause I actually enjoy the subject), so please explain this.

You have Lincoln the UNION president declaring that the Confederate people's slaves are free. I think you're smart enough to find the rest of the flaws.

Another funny thing about the Civil War?  Emancipation Proclaimation... Unconstitutional.

I know so very little about history (which is sad, 'cause I actually enjoy the subject), so please explain this.

You have Lincoln the UNION president declaring that the Confederate people's slaves are free. I think you're smart enough to find the rest of the flaws.

That never dawned on me.

Well, except for the whole being owned by your common man, and having no human rights. A well treated slave is still a slave.

Most slaves were treated better than the low class workers in the cities. So while slavery was bad, the North had no right to criticize.

(I mean, Thomas Jefferson spoke against slavery but owned some himself).

Jefferson couldn't legally free his slaves.

The Civil War was fought over the South exporting cotton to other countires (mainly Britain if I remember correctly) and trying to become self-dependent by building factories to process their own cotton. The North didn't like that and found another reason to go to war to stop the South from achieving that. Slavery. That fact doesn't make slavery any less wrong, but it does make the North look pretty stupid, because there were slave holders in the North.

Lincoln didn't find another reason. He was a die hard unionist. He waged war over the union being divided. The slavery angle was added in latter.

Well, except for the whole being owned by your common man, and having no human rights. A well treated slave is still a slave.

Most slaves were treated better than the low class workers in the cities. So while slavery was bad, the North had no right to criticize.

I hate when people say, "Well, the salves were treated with compassion." No matter how nicely their masters treated them, the slaves were still just that. Slaves! They were pieces of property for the owners to do with as they saw fit.

You, nor anyone else, can tell me they would personally rather be a well-treated slave without freedoms than a low class worker with freedoms.

No, they seriously mistreated their workers, just as bad as europe during the industrial revolution. Sure they weren't slaves, but they were treated like them and were paid next to nothing. If the north wanted to criticize other's of the way they treated their fellow humans, they should make sure they were leaps and bounds better than the other side, not almost the same thing.