Remake of Total Recall

Hey folks, Harry here - I don't mean to sound pissy, but I'm not a big Len Wiseman fan. Not yet. UNDERWORLD and UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION are intolerably awful constructions. Seriously. His LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD (jeez, my brain had trouble conjuring that wretched title from the cobwebs) only works in the moments where one can not deny the awesome charisma of its lead.

But TOTAL RECALL. Ya know, I was having a discussion with a group of friends late last night at the Alamo South - we were debating INCEPTION - and talking about the movies about dreams we preferred. Like DREAMSCAPE, TOTAL RECALL, BRAINSTORM and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET: PART III: DREAM WARRIORS. And when it came to TOTAL RECALL we universally preferred it.

In thinking about the directing style differences between Wiseman and Verhoeven... I can't even begin. Verhoeven is real. Wiseman isn't. Verhoeven understands tension, excess and satire. Thus far, Wiseman does not. I doubt seriously there's very many people that are holding out hope for this, but dammit - I don't want a bad TOTAL RECALL movie, so I find myself in the place of rooting for Wiseman. It gets tiring being negative about a project from the get go - but this is a Missouri film... he'll have to show us, cuz he hasn't thus far.

from AICN.

I think most people would have this in their top 5 Arnie movies (another debate probably, oooh, maybe even a tourney?) Anyway, why in gods name remake this?

Saw VI and Murder Set Pieces are "intolerably awful".

The first two Underworld movies were dumb stylish action flicks and honestly not as bad as most people seem to think.

And I can name at least three Beckinsale movies that I hated, so it's not that.

I hope it's an adaptation of the story that Arnie's film fucked up beyond all belief.

There's a reason.

It's an adaptation of Total Recall, not We can remember it for you wholesale. Why can't people work on adapting more of his other short stories instead? Minority Report, Total Recall, a Scanner Darkly, Blade Runner. Yes Next and Paycheck were subpar, but still, a creative mind can do a lot with that material.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The official synopsis:

"Total Recall" is an action thriller about reality and memory, inspired anew by the famous short story “We Can Remember It For You Wholesale” by Philip K. Dick. Welcome to Rekall, the company that can turn your dreams into real memories. For a factory worker named Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell), even though he's got a beautiful wife (Kate Beckinsale) who he loves, the mind-trip sounds like the perfect vacation from his frustrating life - real memories of life as a super-spy might be just what he needs. But when the procedure goes horribly wrong, Quaid becomes a hunted man. Finding himself on the run from the police – controlled by Chancellor Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston), the leader of the free world – Quaid teams up with a rebel fighter (Jessica Biel) to find the head of the underground resistance (Bill Nighy) and stop Cohaagen. The line between fantasy and reality gets blurred and the fate of his world hangs in the balance as Quaid discovers his true identity, his true love, and his true fate.

I guess they are acting like the first movie doesn't exist.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know one person here is going to be upset that this didn't happen.

Let's play a little word association. If we say "Total Recall," what's your first thought? It's "three boobs," isn't it? That's a little pervy, but don't feel bad. Everyone remembers that particular scene from the original. Now imagine Kate Beckinsale with the ol' tri-breasted setup, because it very nearly happened.

It's all in the timing, as they say. Beckinsale very nearly wasn't available for the role of Lori, but, still wanting to be involved, she toyed with the idea of making a very special cameo.

"At one point, when it looked like I wouldn't be able to play Lori, I was going to do a cameo as the three-breasted woman," says Becksinale. "And I started fretting about where they'd put the third one. Have I actually got room for a third one in the middle, or would it go to the side? Would it then be under an armpit and actually not sexy?"

http://blastr.com/2012/07/total-recalls-3-breasted.php