Episode 91

RSS

Kicking off the final stretch of World's Finest Podcast is the discussion of Justice League Unlimited! First, the Justice League has expanded its ranks, but Green Arrow is skeptical about the organization ("Initiation"). Mongul returns, and plagues Superman with his fondest wish ("For the Man Who Has Everything"). After Mordred spirits away every adult, several members of the League must become children to crush his plans ("Kid's Stuff"). Ares uses The Annihilator to upset the already-unbalanced nation of Kasnia, leaving Wonder Woman, Hawk, and Dove to thwart him ("Hawk and Dove"). And Wonder Woman is turned into a pig ("This Little Piggy"). [ 1:57:32 || 53.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_091.mp3

Couple of thoughts on Initiation.

Kin Shriner actually showed up to some of the voice recording sessions in a Green Arrow Costume.

Captain Atom was in the Air Force. John Stewart was a Marine. GI's are Army. If Supergirl called Captain Atom a GI, heck, a lot of born and raised Americans don't know the slang for the services, so why should Supergirl have it right.

If I remember right, Green Arrow started his more leftist approach after he lost his fortune and decided to see how the other half lives. I think that the "Cat & Canary" episode refers to him having sold his company for 2 billion (but after the lawyers are done with you, you're lucky to have a billion).

I haven't seen a primary source, but I've heard on several occasions that "For The Man Who Has Everything" is the one and only adaptation of his work that Alan Moore has thought well done.

More when I listen to the last episodes.

Chris

I haven't seen a primary source, but I've heard on several occasions that "For The Man Who Has Everything" is the one and only adaptation of his work that Alan Moore has thought well done.

Chris

Bruce Timm asked his permission to do it, and Moore responded encouragingly, saying he'd be interested in how they interpret it. But Timm said he never got a response from Moore back after the episode premiered.

Chris

Bruce Timm asked his permission to do it, and Moore responded encouragingly, saying he'd be interested in how they interpret it. But Timm said he never got a response from Moore back after the episode premiered.

Hence the need to check primary sources - thanks for the clarification. (Although, that's closer to a positive endorsement than a lot of adaptations of his wrk have gotten :) )

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, first time poster,

I'm the Aaron who mentioned I was planning to make a JL/JLU podcast. Finally got to the JLU library (did skip zeta and static but will go back as soon as I can). Anywho, here's my reasoning for why GL was such a jerk to Kara at the end of Initiation.

GL is trying to teach Kara the importance of being part of a unit with an established plan and objective instead of just running off half-cocked and getting the crap kicked out of her. His speech reminds me a lot of what a veteran would say to a new recruit. While I've never served in the military, I do read a lot of fiction written by former military personnel. A lot of veterans would say exactly what GL did to show the recruit that just charging in without thinking is not always the best call but then complimenting them on doing what they did because it was needed but in the future be aware of what you learned. I hope that makes sense.

I haven't seen a lot of JLU unfortunately so I'm REALLY looking forward to finally sitting down with my new DVDs and seeing episodes for the first time.

Oh one more thing: To quote James: Kevin Conroy is a God. Just saw the infamous "Am I Blue?" for the first time. I'm still geeking out on that a day later and don't plan on stoping anytime soon. If there is a Batman broadway show and Conroy isn't Batman that would be a travesty.

Take care All.

Just had another thought:

Is it ever explained where the Justice League got such a huge support staff? We see the Watchtower surrounded by multiple satellites with ships transferring between them all and there's technicians and medical staff, but where did they all come from? They can't be Wayne Enterprises employees because wouldn't someone say, "Hey we're all Wayne guys and our boss keeps disappearing for days...hmm"? And who's paying for all this? There is positively no way Bruce is because it would bankrupt his company. Then again Kasnia built a giant rail-gun in space but that DID bankrupt the country so now I'm talking myself into circles. Any help or thoughts would be great.

Welcome to the forums! I agree about the support staff thing, Task Force X in particular opens up a lot of questions about these guys. They aren't US military, but they live on US soil manning a space station with a giant laser on it. How is the US not arresting these guys? They could lock them up for going to work! Something for the guys to talk about next time I think.

On the money front I guess construction and refinement of raw materials is cheap and easy when you have space travel available to you (meteorites etc), and superhumans to manage the process. Between Supes, GL and Martian Manhunter it wouldn't take too long to build something like that station, especially with supes moving at super-speed. For detail stuff I imagine they trade in favours to sympathetic governments, maybe hit up a nation they saved from catastrophe for a little wiring work.

That's true. I didn't even think about getting the materials from space. Now that I think about it, without knowing any different, I'll say that JLU takes place at least a year after JL (maybe two or even three), and since the Justice League did save the entire human race from extinction in Starcrossed, I'm sure volunteers would be more than happy to help support the people who saved their lives. So that may be where all the support staff came from: Grateful citizens who aren't superpowered but want to make the world a safer and better place for future generations.

• 1 year later...

Here is a Nice Question.

If they had been allowed to put the Black Mercy on Diana, What would have been her dream?

Take into account that this takes place before she and Shayera return to Themyscira in "The Balance" and they have taken a great deal of time to set up the Bruce and Diana relationship.