The CW to Adapt "Raven"

Molly

From Variety:

CW to adapt DC's 'Raven' into series

Network taps Diego Gutierrez to write, exec produce

By Michael Schneider

Another DC Comics superheroine could be on her way to primetime.

The CW is looking to adapt "Raven," a half-demon also known as Rachel Roth, into a series. Diego Gutierrez, who most recently served as co-exec VP on "V," is writing and will exec produce.

Project has a script order at the CW through Warner Bros. TV and DC Entertainment.

In DC Comics mythology, Raven -- created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez -- is the daughter of a human and a demon who has empath abilities to read emotions and divine secrets.

Raven, who's able to teleport herself and enter the minds of others, uses her skills to fight crime while trying to keep her dark internal elements in check.

"Raven" reps the latest attempt by the C-Dub to find a suitable comic-themed replacement for "Smallville," which is set to retire at the end of this season.

"Raven" isn't the only DC Comics star in development this year; David E. Kelley is also prepping his take on "Wonder Woman." But that project hasn't yet landed at a network.

"Raven" actually has some history at the CW: The character was featured in the animated Kids' WB series "Teen Titans," which ran for several years (including Kids' WB's brief run as the CW's Saturday morning kids block). Tara Strong voiced Raven in the series, which also featured Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy and Cyborg.

Coming full circle, the last time the CW looked to adapt a DC Comics character, it turned to Robin. In 2008, the netlet gave a committment to "The Graysons," which was to follow the world of Dick "DJ" Grayson before he took on the iconic Robin identity and aligned himself with Batman.

"The Graysons" didn't move forward, however, after Warner Bros. Pictures Group prexy Jeff Robinov decided he didn't want the series to run simultaneous with Christopher Nolan's "Batman" movie franchise. (Nolan was said at the time not to be pleased with the idea either).

But "Raven" is free of any other programming committments, beyond those "Teen Titans" repeats, now running on Boomerang.

Other previous DC titles in development at the CW include "Global Frequency." And in 2002, the WB turned the "Batman" spinoff "Birds of Prey" into a series -- but it proved short-lived.

Fox's "Human Target" is also based on a DC title.

Gutierrez spent several seasons on "Without a Trace." His other credits include "The Shield," "Kingpin," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Dawson's Creek."

Color me a little interested. Raven could certainly work on her own.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven could definitely work. And hey, if this season of Smallville is any indication, there'll be a million guest-stars from the DCU. Might we actually see Nightwing, much like Smallville's Green Arrow? :D Ooo... and this might actually be in the same universe as Smallville, so we might even get returning characters like Bart Allen or Victor Stone.

Gnargh. One part of me wants to think it'll be different than, you know, all the rest of their programming. The other part of me is going RUN AWAY, cause I don't wanna see how they could bastardize the gothy aspect of her. Also, the monstrosity that Smallville has become. That too.

I don't think they're MAJOROMGENDOFTHEFREEWORLDCHANGES, but I do think that in creating a product for a mass audience (I.E. Television) out of a product marketed toward a niche audience (I.E. Comic readers), needs to have certain changes to succeed. It's just the way the world works.

I don't think they're MAJOROMGENDOFTHEFREEWORLDCHANGES, but I do think that in creating a product for a mass audience (I.E. Television) out of a product marketed toward a niche audience (I.E. Comic readers), needs to have certain changes to succeed. It's just the way the world works.

The show was doing better in the ratings in the first season then it is now.

Ha that Graysons show was such a bad idea.

Funny that the release mentioned Human Target, since that show just had major changes done to it to make it more woman friendly.

If by "major changes" then you mean "added a female character," then yeah. Not much, really.

Added 2 female characters, one of whom will be a romantic interest for Chance and adding 2 new characters means less time for our 3 favorite characters. And they changed the theme. Major changes indeed, can't deny it.

...Aren't you supposed to be a feminist?

Ha that Graysons show was such a bad idea.

Funny that the release mentioned Human Target, since that show just had major changes done to it to make it more woman friendly.

If by "major changes" then you mean "added a female character," then yeah. Not much, really.

Added 2 female characters, one of whom will be a romantic interest for Chance and adding 2 new characters means less time for our 3 favorite characters. And they changed the theme. Major changes indeed, can't deny it.

...Aren't you supposed to be a feminist?

You don't watch Human Target do you?

I watched one episode, and didn't like it.

I'm pointing out that you're being a hypocrite by saying that women and romance have to be in a show for it to be woman-friendly, and that for a show to be woman-friendly, it has to be fundamentally changed.

Incorrect again. Wow. I said the changes were made for the show to become more woman friendly because that's what a little magazine called Variety reported.

I'm pointing out that you're being a hypocrite by saying that women and romance have to be in a show for it to be woman-friendly, and that for a show to be woman-friendly, it has to be fundamentally changed.

Incorrect again. Wow. I said the changes were made for the show to become more woman friendly because that's what a little magazine called Variety reported.

Really? Are you kidding me?

Really? Are you kidding me?

What's your problem now?