Episode 604

RSS

Depending on who you ask, the 1996 Billy Zane vehicle, The Phantom, is either an underrated gem or an odd mixture of excitement and tedium. Today, join Ian Wilson, Dave Probert, and Michael David Sims as they extol the virtues of The Ghost Who Walks and his awesomely awesome foe: Xander Drax! Look out for all those seaplanes, and get ready to slam evil! (Note: It's Rosebud, not redrum.) [ 3:16:05 || 94.5 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_604.mp3

That fun was definitely infectious. Look forward to the next film you three tackle.

The one really good thing I know of from the director, Simon Wincer, is the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove, but that's more due to awesome performances and awesome characters than awesome action.

O, and I was surprised there were no Moonraker references from Ian, given that the villains of the two films had the same surname.

Gentlemen,

I can tell you EXACTLY where "Slam Evil!" came from. It is no less insane than you imagine.

Pepsi was a major endorsement on this movie. At the time, they were re-introducing their 1-liter bottle and marketing it as something a person was expected to drink in one sitting (Shaq was the primary spokesman). This was dubbed the "Pepsi Big Slam". Having Billy Zane pause mid-gunfight to suck down a liter of sugar water would presumably have taken audiences out of the story, so they got the slogan instead.

The studio pumped the shit out of this flick; the Phantom seemed to be everywhere that summer. And you couldn't buy a Pepsi or Mountain Dew that year without his face on it.

Gentlemen,

I can tell you EXACTLY where "Slam Evil!" came from. It is no less insane than you imagine.

Pepsi was a major endorsement on this movie. At the time, they were re-introducing their 1-liter bottle and marketing it as something a person was expected to drink in one sitting (Shaq was the primary spokesman). This was dubbed the "Pepsi Big Slam". Having Billy Zane pause mid-gunfight to suck down a liter of sugar water would presumably have taken audiences out of the story, so they got the slogan instead.

The studio pumped the shit out of this flick; the Phantom seemed to be everywhere that summer. And you couldn't buy a Pepsi or Mountain Dew that year without his face on it.

Right, OK. Hang on a minute, by that batshit crazy logic didn't The Phantom's marketing department inadvertently declare Pepsi evil?

When i took film ed in high school I wrote a roughly two paragraph review of "The Phantom." I said it was bad but fun. I loved Xander Drax, and came up with something that I thought was a clever burn.

"I was more entertained by the end credits than the movie itself."

To this day I stand by my words. I loved the mix of orchestra and new age pan pipes while the end credits roll over a camera going through misty jungle and babbling brooks flowing into rivers.

• 3 weeks later...