Favorite/Best: Blackadder

You Know Who

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Blackadder 2 was my introduction to the series, so it holds a special place for me. But the writing of three, and the stories were when the show hit its creative peak. My personal favourite being the election episode.

It took me nearly ten years to finally appreciate how good, if not odd in the grander scheme of the show, the first series was. And, I'm not sure if the Cavaliers special was on the DVD set, so I'm including a link to the episode from YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKX8g76Rkqg

Forth is probably the best, and something I love watching, but Third has some of my favorite episodes and " Ink and Incapability " is a serious contender for the funniest half hour in sitcom history.

"Once upon a time there was a little sausage called Baldrick....Sausage? SAUSAGE?!?!?"

Blackadder is one of the all-time great comedies, and even though the first series is radically different, it was that period of history (ie/ tail end of the Wars of the Roses) that I did my first dissertation on for my History degree, so I have a love for that series as well. I mean, Peter Cook as Richard III and Brian Blessed as a full grown version of one of the Princes of the Tower? That's awesome in and of itself!

Blackadder Goes Forth has to be the best series. Not only is the comedy fantastic, but its also very near the knuckle and satirical in terms of how badly the Allied generals handled aspects of the First World War. My school literally used it as part of our GCSE coursework on WWI-based literature for context when studying Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon. And on a less serious note, Rik Mayall returns to play a different variation of Lord Flasheart, whilst Stephen Fry is hilariously monstrous as General Melchett.

As for favourite, it's actually quite a tough choice. In the end I partially hedged my best and went with Blackadder's Christmas Carol. Not just because you get retreads of Blackadder & Baldrick from series 2 & 3, but it's an ingenious reworking of The Christmas Carol - a story that so many TV shows recreate, but only a few reinvent. The tone is set from the very beginning with Hugh Laurie's narration and the lyrics to that version of the Blackadder theme.

In seemingly timely news, it was announced last week that Tony Robinson was being knighted whilst Rowan Atkinson was being made a CBE. I'd like to think "for services to Blackadder", but boringly, its more for their entire careers. So seemingly, the Queen is a bigger fan of Time Team and Maid Marian & Her Merry Men than she is The Thin Blue Line and Johnny English. Which, in that context, makes sense....

I love all the series and I think each has a lot going for them, so choosing the best was hard. However, I went with Blackadder II because it established the Blackadder-Baldrick dynamic that endured throughout the rest of the show. It also brought the collective brilliance of Stephen Fry, Miranda Richardson, and Hugh Laurie to the program as well. Yet Blackadder the Third has some of my favorite episodes in it (including "Ink and Incapability") and Forth has the show's most powerful moments.

The Christmas Carol is my favorite because it was one of the first full episodes of the show I was exposed to and turns the Christmas Carol on its head masterfully. Plus, Robbie Coltrane is fantastic in it and is introducing busting through the door at night as a bearded giant. Hmmm...wonder where I've seen that before...

• 4 weeks later...