The Flash

KnightWing

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So last night...was the season premiere!

And I thought it was good...not great. The opening scene was REALLY awesome, and I generally loved the first act. The episode as a whole however I thought suffered from a lazy, complacent script. We've another villain who A) isn't a villain generally in the comics and B) dies. Iris was given hardly anything to do but be a cheerleader even thoug she's joined Team Flash. A lot of it felt like the lamer episodes of Smalllville, although Grant Gustin's a better actor than Tom Welling so his sense of guilt was better felt. But the way they wrote off Ronnie and John Wesley Shipp I think could've been handled way better. This actually felt like an additional season 1 finale. Can't wait for the next ep with Jay tho.

Agreed. I was surprised the show would let Flash Day be touched with so much somberness, especially when they've already seemingly killed off Ronnie once before. They had enough guilt from Eddie dying that they didn't need to add something on top of it. Felt cheap. Atom Smasher didn't leave much of an impression, but they did a good job pulling him off on a TV budget. Henry leaving felt completely out of nowhere, dunno what that's about. Grant Gustin and Jesse L. Martin were great as always, though I wish they had left out some of the Smallville-ish music cues behind Gustin, he didn't need them. Victor Garber being Cisco was actually funny. The best part by far was Wells' message to Barry because A. he felt Barry deserved something for managing to kill him (which is great because Barry didn't) and B. he was still petty enough to add "I know you, you'll never be happy." Along with seeing how Jay Garrick plays out, what I'm most looking forward to is more Cavanagh. 

Right, and another thing is that while we know Robbie Amell has no immediate intentions to return to the role, the gang has believed Ronnie died once before. Wouldn't they want to try and see if they could find him? They just immediately assumed he died. I thought was was a bit lazy in getting him out of the way, and not really having the characters deal with it.

Although I liked Caitlin in this. She rightfully had no ill will towards Barry, and I liked seeing her move on in her own way. Danielle Panabaker did a really great job in this.

Edited by Donomark
spelling

Still kinda dour, but we're getting some nice plot progession here.

Patty Spivot was a joy, she might be the best served female character yet. (Though the team has gotten better with them this season)

Jay seems too young, but I can forgive that because he's got the right presence for the role, and they're doing something a little bit different from the comics.

I got really excited when they teamed up. Hyped to see more of them together. 

Next Week: WENTWORTH MILLER AND MICHAEL IRONSIDE

Thought tonight's episode redeemed the lukewarm season premiere. If nothing this brought back one of the major highlights of the first season: FANSERVICE. It's too easy of a bone to tickle these days, but goddammit if it didn't work on me. The super homage right before the final commercial had me squeeing like a mother fucker.

I think the writing was overall much better in this episode. Still wanting and waiting for more for Iris to do, as she's still the cheerleader, but she and the others all had much better dialogue. I think Jay's been pretty well cast. If Barry's as young as he is, Jay can be younger than he's traditionally shown to be. Plus he was a college student in the 40s IIRC. So awesome that this happened on the character's 75th year. I also really like the angle they gave for Barry not to trust Jay considering last season.

Edited by Donomark
elaboration

All caught up with the two S2 episodes - loved them. Dunno why people hated the premiere - it left several lumps in my throat and the villain was Edge (The Edge if you speak to young Johnson) - and I'm pretty happy with the direction of Series 2 as it stands.

Started mainlining the series as soon as it hit Netflix and finished it Monday night. There were a few plotlines that didn't hold me interest for too long (Ronnie Raymond) and a few performances I wasn't wild about (Wentworth Miller), but overall, I'm very impressed and am now going back to Arrow to see where this universe began.

As someone who has done (RE: is doing) the same thing, be warned: Arrow is much more of a soap opera than The Flash. That's not a complaint or indictment; it's simply a note that the show has roots in Dallas.

Having just finished the first series, I can definitely attest to the soap opera aspect of it, despite being much darker than The Flash. Ignorant whipper-snapper that I am, though, I haven't seen Dallas.

How can anyone not love the scene-chewing awesomeness that is Captain Cold!

I may have to see his episodes again. From what little I had seen Miller in before, I didn't like him as an actor, so that bias probably colored my viewing.