The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still think the River thing would be a contradiction if they went back to it.

How so?

For the story to work, she'd have to meet him as the 10th Doctor. She recognizes him as such and has to go through her journal to see what point in time he's at. She wouldn't have to do this if they'd met while he was in the body of the 11th, and she wouldn't instantly know who he was. If she shows up in an 11th Doctor story, then the whole thing becomes one giant paradox.

I thought the Doctor she'd met was a future one, hence her disappointment when the 10th shows up.

I still think the River thing would be a contradiction if they went back to it.

How so?

For the story to work, she'd have to meet him as the 10th Doctor. She recognizes him as such and has to go through her journal to see what point in time he's at. She wouldn't have to do this if they'd met while he was in the body of the 11th, and she wouldn't instantly know who he was. If she shows up in an 11th Doctor story, then the whole thing becomes one giant paradox.

I thought the Doctor she'd met was a future one, hence her disappointment when the 10th shows up.

I only recall her being disappointed when it was clear he hadn't met her yet. Her first words to him are "hello sweetie" so you'd have to assume that 10 is the Doctor she knows.

Hmm... you're right. For River to have thought 10 would recognize her, it means they had to meet at a point later in 10's life but earlier in hers.

Could be that she thought that the 10th Doctor was a later version of the one she knew, I mean, she could have known him in a couple of forms, like Rose did, but she didn't have to know what he looked like before that.

There is no absolute problem here that they can't get around, aside from the idea that the River they meet now should be younger than the one we met in the first place.

edit- I've just watched the relevant bits through again and I think its pretty ambiguous. She could have met several subsequent incarnations and just not have a straightforward timeline of his life, its not like he hands out a lot of personal information. She really was expecting a version of him that she knew, based on the message she sent out being specifically aimed at her Doctor.

But that wouldn't explain why she instantly recognized him. She'd still have to know the 10th Doctor at some point.

Or seen a picture of him. I don't know how that would work, but maybe her doctor was shown a profile shot of all the different regenerations.

If that were the case, then she would already know that it was a previous incarnation, and wouldn't assume he knew her.

I got he impression she was looking past the face, she wasn't looking at that particular Doctor and asking for recognition, rather she expected that any doctor that responded would know her. For instance, she could meet Matt Smith's doctor for the first time, and then have a serious relationship with him in his 13th (or possibly later if he gets more lives) incarnation. She indicated that this doctor's eyes were much younger, not his face. In that case it could well be that she meets the 11th Doctor, then the 13th or later and could be forgiven for thinking that the 10th was a post Matt Smith version, since he responded to quite a personal communique that she might have though he wouldn't be able to receive until later on in his life.

Stavros is right. She might have thought Doctor 10 was Doctor 12, and though she had never seen this Doctor before, she knew it was him thanks to deductive reasoning: since the planet is dead, no one should be there, but since he is (because she called him through the Psychic Paper) she knows this stranger must be The Doctor.

The only hitch is the way she looks at Donna. Donna remarks that River seemingly knows something about her, something bad. The only way she (River) could know that is if this is a past Doctor who's written about Donna in the blue diary.

So... we're all expecting 40-something River to have an affair with 20-something 11th doctor?

I honestly know a couple where the woman is 52 and the guy is 23.

Well, River wasn't that old when they met, it could have been years beforehand. Isn't the new companion rumoured to be her?

That was a rumor, but it's doubtful.

So... we're all expecting 40-something River to have an affair with 20-something 11th doctor?

I honestly know a couple where the woman is 52 and the guy is 23.

Well, River wasn't that old when they met, it could have been years beforehand. Isn't the new companion rumoured to be her?

That was a rumor, but it's doubtful.

Yeah, age doesn't really matter, as long as people are in love. Also, the doctors meant to be hundreds of years old right?

Yeah, it was just a rumour, I think it started because the new girl looked like her a little(I hope that makes sense)

Yeah, it was just a rumour, I think it started because the new girl looked like her a little(I hope that makes sense)

I think it stems more from the names both having bodies of water in them: River Song and Amy Pond.

Ah alright.

Still, do you think Smith will show up at the end of the next episode(Like Tennant did) or will the first episode of series 5 be Tennant becoming Smith?

I think it stems more from the names both having bodies of water in them: River Song and Amy Pond.

Ah alright.

Still, do you think Smith will show up at the end of the next episode(Like Tennant did) or will the first episode of series 5 be Tennant becoming Smith?

They have to have the regeneration in the next episode. There's no other way about it.

Ah alright.

They have to have the regeneration in the next episode. There's no other way about it.

Yeah, was thinking that myself, but just wonder if anyone thought anything different.

well..it's not long to go till the "End of Time Part 2", and the official website has posted a message about what's to come on there after the broadcast. There's the usual vids, commentary and fact files but tantalisingly there's also this

But we'll also have tons of great stuff on the Eleventh Doctor! Get a sensational sneak peek of the new series and check out exclusive new videos... that's all on this site immediately after The End of Time, Part Two finishes.

From that, it looks like there'll probably be a trailer for the next series after the episode, which will be exciting :-) should be good to see what else there is too.

Stavros is right. She might have thought Doctor 10 was Doctor 12, and though she had never seen this Doctor before, she knew it was him thanks to deductive reasoning: since the planet is dead, no one should be there, but since he is (because she called him through the Psychic Paper) she knows this stranger must be The Doctor.

I think the point about the diary still stands though. She's aware that this Doctor is early on in the relationship, hence he must be the younger version. However, she asks him if he's done a specific encounter yet, as she only has the dates she's already passed herself in the diary then she must have been there, if he's earlier in the relationship (and therefore younger) but she meets him later with a difference face, she would know he hadn't been on that date yet because he wasn't wearing Ten's face when he was there.

(Edited for clarity many times... stupid time travel)

Ok, just for a touch of clarity (as if)...

I think its safe to assume that the Doctor will live on beyond his normal 13 lives. Time Lords can bestow more, and I don't think we'll ever see the Doctor really die. River said that this was the youngest she had ever seen him. She's obviously seen him a lot too, probably in several bodies. If she thinks that the 900 year old doctor is very young, then its safe to assume that the 901 year old 11th doctor isn't the one she's most familiar with. She knows an incarnation that may be twice that age, and so accomplished as to make this doctor seem like a rookie by comparison. She might have met his 20th or 30th version, or even further. If he's lived that many lives and she's met a lot of them, then her surprise that he didn't know her when all the others post 11th doctor did was to be expected. She doesn't see the face, she sees a man she's known since he was comparatively young. If she's met three or four doctors she still wouldn't anticipate knowing every face herself, but she would still expect him to know her.

Yes but what I'm saying is that if she went on a date with the 95th Doctor, she really has no need to ask the 10th if he's done it yet unless she thinks he's older, which she makes clear she doesn't. Presumably she would have already been on that date and he had a different, older face so he couldn't possibly have done it yet.

Assuming their later relationship developments take place with a later doctor then River Song asking Ten if he's been on certain dates yet would be like the third doctor turning up in the Sarah Jane Adventures and Sarah Jane asking him if he's fought Morbius yet. She knows he hasn't, he did that in his fourth body - she was there.

my thoughts about EoT part 2....are still arranging themselves in my head. All I'll say is I enjoyed it more than part 1.

Till i can formulate my thoughts about it though, here are my thoughts on the trailer for next series

- the TARDIS looks better than it did in those first photo's...it doesn't look as squat as it did in those pics.

- I see Daleks in different colours...we see 1 in grey/camouflage (with what looks like netting around it. And we also see a White Dalek (when we see the close up of it's eyestalk).

- Are the reptilians Silurians/Sea Devils? The gun that one of them fires, seems reminiscent of the guns the Sea Devils had.

- Looks like "Geronimo" is the new "Fantastic", "Allonsy".

- We get a few glimpses of the new interior. At 24 seconds it looks like it could be a lower level (there were rumours that the new console room had 2 levels). it looks a bit more silver than the old one, but it's hard to get too much idea from teh brief glimpses. But there's a hatstand :-)

- River Song is back (although I already knew that from the location pics)

- As are the Weeping Angels

- What's with the random shot of a child (in a graveyard?)