The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's been pretty much confirmed by the Human Nature/Family of Blood illustrations and that infostamp in The Next Doctor.

There could be reasons why that missing doctor isn't prominently mentioned. It's like Dax, and the hidden host Joran was was covered up because he was a psychopathic murderer. Not saying the missing doctor has to be that but there could be reasons why all evidence of him was removed, and maybe only a few people know why. I think it would be a nice dramatic device.

In "The Next Doctor" we see projections of every Doctor, and an image of Eccleston directly follows McGann.

EDIT: And though I liked what they did with Dax in DS9, I don't want to see that with The Doctor.

Edited by The Master

Loving the Big Finish 8th Doctor stuff. Just coming up to the end of season 2 looking forward to season 3. It totally redeems McGann after the movie, he's one of the classic Doctors now.

I wonder, has it ever been confirmed that Ecclestone followed directly on from McGann? Because it would be a cool twist if there was a unknown incarnation who was actually the 9th Doctor, bumping Tennant and Smith forward one each. It would explain Richard E Grant for one thing, or they could slot in someone else.

There's an interesting explanation for Richard E. Grant that I like set up in the novels and audios. The three parallel Doctors approach; basically after the TV movie the BBC started their 8th Doctor novels while Doctor Who Magazine began a series of comics in their own continuity. Then when Big Finish's 8th Doctor series began they first fiddled with fitting it into the novel's continuity but struggled so set it apart. The novels then began hinting that several parallel version of the Doctor existed, Big Finish introduced this into their continuity in "Zagreus." So in a way, all three versions of the eighth doctor became accepted as existing in the audios and the novels. Then, in the last 8th Doctor novel someone looks into the the Doctor's timeline and notices that as the Eighth Doctor split, the three have regenerated at different times and in different ways making three ninth Doctors. Eccleston, Grant and Atkinson.

Loving the Big Finish 8th Doctor stuff. Just coming up to the end of season 2 looking forward to season 3. It totally redeems McGann after the movie, he's one of the classic Doctors now.

I wonder, has it ever been confirmed that Ecclestone followed directly on from McGann? Because it would be a cool twist if there was a unknown incarnation who was actually the 9th Doctor, bumping Tennant and Smith forward one each. It would explain Richard E Grant for one thing, or they could slot in someone else.

There's an interesting explanation for Richard E. Grant that I like set up in the novels and audios. The three parallel Doctors approach; basically after the TV movie the BBC started their 8th Doctor novels while Doctor Who Magazine began a series of comics in their own continuity. Then when Big Finish's 8th Doctor series began they first fiddled with fitting it into the novel's continuity but struggled so set it apart. The novels then began hinting that several parallel version of the Doctor existed, Big Finish introduced this into their continuity in "Zagreus." So in a way, all three versions of the eighth doctor became accepted as existing in the audios and the novels. Then, in the last 8th Doctor novel someone looks into the the Doctor's timeline and notices that as the Eighth Doctor split, the three have regenerated at different times and in different ways making three ninth Doctors. Eccleston, Grant and Atkinson.

So as I know nothing of this Who is Richard E Grant the 9th doctor of? Comics, books?

Same goes for Atkinson. (Atkinson who?)

Rowan Atkinson was the Doctor in the Comic Relief special, Curse of the Fatal Death. Richard E Grant was the doctor in the web-based 2003 Scream of the Shalka animated episodes. The Comic Relief special is light-hearted and not intended to be taken as a serious part of the Doctor Who canon, but Scream of the Shalka was intended to be official. Another tie is that Derek Jacobi played a robot made in The Master's image in that web series, and of course later went on to play the master in the modern series.

So as I know nothing of this Who is Richard E Grant the 9th doctor of? Comics, books?

Same goes for Atkinson. (Atkinson who?)

Richard E. Grant was the 9th Doctor in a flash animation serial released by BBCi before the series returned. It was supposed to be the official continuation of the series until we finally got a real return in 2005. Russell T Davies is known to have disliked Grant's performance and no reference has been made to it in the new series. It's called Scream of the Shalka and is still on the BBC's classic Doctor Who site.

Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean, if you're not up on your British comedians) played the Doctor in a Children in Need Charity skit written by Steven Moffat. For a comedy sketch it's actually a great piece of Who and can be viewed here

P.S Stavros, you beat me by a minute! a minute, curse you!

Actually I read your post, went back in time and beat you to it.

You know, I do enjoy the modern Dr Who series but it surprising how few of them feel worth rewatching. I've got all four series and there are only a few I really enjoy revisiting, like Blink or Turn Left. Once you know what's going to happen its the sort of show where a lot of the joy is sucked out. Family of Blood for example, was fun the first time, but I tried watching again today and found the villains in particular unwatchable.

The few I really do enjoy are the truly smart concept-based ones that stay reasonably consistent in tone, like Dalek, Blink, Turn Left and Midnight. Who is at its best when its imitating a stageplay, rather than anime action where everyone's talking and making speeches at a supposedly tense and action-filled moment. I love that stuff in anime shows but can't bear it in Who.

Over the past two weeks I've been watching the modern season once more, and though there are certain episodes I wanted to skip over, I've plowed through them with mixed results.

Aliens of London / World War Three

I used to hate this story, if only because I'm not a fan of fart humor. But this time around I found myself liking it for the more mature elements, such as Rose having to deal with her inadvertent yearlong disappearance and Mickey's anger towards Rose and Jackie. Despite the farting and the odd Raxacoricofallapatorian costumes, it's moved up in my mind.

The Idiot's Lantern

This one has always kind of bored me, and it still does. It's not bad -- and I do like the Question-like effect on the people -- but the villain is nothing more than a mustache-twirler and the father is way over-the-top.

Love & Monsters

:rolleyes:

Fear Her

This is the next one I'm going to watch, and thankfully I won't have time to do so for a few days.

Over the past two weeks I've been watching the modern season once more, and though there are certain episodes I wanted to skip over, I've plowed through them with mixed results.

Aliens of London / World War Three

I used to hate this story, if only because I'm not a fan of fart humor. But this time around I found myself liking it for the more mature elements, such as Rose having to deal with her inadvertent yearlong disappearance and Mickey's anger towards Rose and Jackie. Despite the farting and the odd Raxacoricofallapatorian costumes, it's moved up in my mind.

See, I really liked the dramatic implications of Rose's accidental absence, that was very nicely done, especially how it changed her relationship with her mother and Mickey. The rest of that two parter is horrible because what could have been a sinister and interesting new villain is reduced to fat jokes and fart humour. You don't give a new bad guy the push of making them run the entire country and then make them comedy, it ruins the whole effect. I sometimes feel that they do this too often. A lot of shows including Who do a great job mixing humour and tension, but a lot of the modern series is deliberately very broad in order to grab a big audience, and it winds up making the episodes worse.

Just watched Turn Left, its still great. It's odd though how even the best episode will always still have at least one tacky terrible plastic effect. If you think I'm talking about the empath-bug, choose A. If you think I'm talking about Billie Piper's teeth, choose B.

Fox readying U.S. version of 'Torchwood'

Exclusive: Huge news for sci-fi fans: Fox is developing a stateside version of the U.K. hit series “Torchwood.”

The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell Davies writing the script.

A more straight-faced spinoff of “Doctor Who,” “Torchwood” is about a covert group that investigates and fights alien activity. Two series aired domestically on BBC America as well as last year’s well reviewed stand-alone miniseries, “Children of Earth,” which broke all ratings records for the network. (If you're a fan of serious sci fi such as "Battlestar Galatica" and haven't seen "Children of Earth," rent it. You don't need to know anything about the series. And I know the previews for "Torchwood" can look silly. Trust me, it's terrific. Like "24" with aliens).

Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, “Torchwood” fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies’ producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show’s first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec VP programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.).

Also, some of the current cast — most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness — might star if Fox orders “Torchwood” to pilot.

As for the new show’s plot, the U.S. version will contain a global story line compared to the more localized sensibility of the first two BBC seasons.

Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audiences while departing “Doctor Who” star David Tennant stars in NBC’s pilot “Rex Is Not Your Lawyer.” “Torchwood” (which is an anagram of “Doctor Who”) debuted in 2006 on BBC 3 and set ratings records, then was moved to BBC 1. Russell also reinvented “Doctor Who” in 2003 and was writer-creator of the series “Queer as Folk.”

Source

If they're thinking about brining Captain Jack in, I'm guessing it will tie into the Doctor Who / Torchwood continuity. Which makes sense, considering there are other Torchwoods out there. So this could be the US team.

Though I'm worried about the statement that they might try rebooting Doctor Who in the US. No. Just... no.

If they're thinking about brining Captain Jack in, I'm guessing it will tie into the Doctor Who / Torchwood continuity. Which makes sense, considering there are other Torchwoods out there. So this could be the US team.

Originally, I thought the idea was dumb, why do they need to redo Torchwood. But what you wrote, kind of makes sense.

So this is where RTD and his Dr Who producing partner are going?

Yeah, there were some rumors that some of Torchwood series 4 was going to be set in the US so this is kinda a surprise. I don't want this in place of more of the original Torchwood but as a compliment, it might not be bad. Just as long as they're not based out of New York or Los Angeles. Maybe Chicago or Cleveland. I could see either one being built around a rift in space-time.

I don't know how I feel about that idea, I mean Fox's last brush with Doctor Who could have been worse.

I'm pretty sure I only like two things about that movie. Firstly, the main casting. Eric Robert was good and Paul McGann has proved to be a very good doctor in subsequent audio produtions. Secondly I quite like the way it ends exactly as it begins, with the Doctor sitting down to read whilst listening to a record in the gloriously cavernous Tardis. I really hope to try for something closer to that with the new set. Obviously some sense of scale allows people to visualise the Tardis as a whole, but I really hope they do something to expand it. Even the new series one is acknowledged as having masses of space beyond the cockpit area but we never see it.

Anyway, aside from that I find little to redeem it.

I don't know how I feel about that idea, I mean Fox's last brush with Doctor Who could have been worse.

I'm pretty sure I only like two things about that movie. Firstly, the main casting. Eric Robert was good and Paul McGann has proved to be a very good doctor in subsequent audio produtions. Secondly I quite like the way it ends exactly as it begins, with the Doctor sitting down to read whilst listening to a record in the gloriously cavernous Tardis. I really hope to try for something closer to that with the new set. Obviously some sense of scale allows people to visualise the Tardis as a whole, but I really hope they do something to expand it. Even the new series one is acknowledged as having masses of space beyond the cockpit area but we never see it.

Anyway, aside from that I find little to redeem it.

I really need to watch this again because I think I've only seen it one other time after it premiered in the mid 90s. I remember liking the regeneration scene back when I was 10(?)

As for Fox/US Torchwood, I think the end of Children of Earth is as good a time as any for Jack to relocate. Whilst the tone of COE was perfect, the character base is Jack, Gwen, her husband and MAYBE Jack's resentful daughter. Any new series would neccessitate a cast influx so I don't mind it being in the US. Will it last? Only if the ratings are good enough. Not sure what the press release means by "rebooting" Dr Who, unless it means stoking interest for the Matt Smith era. Which is probably not the case as the show screens on a different network and is more likely to hit US TV before a new iteration of Torchwood.

I'd be fine with Torchwood splitting off it Children of Earth hadn't been so good. I'd rather see two Torchwood mini series a year now, each running through a week. Present them as single events, like a more palatable bite-sized sci-fi version of 24 and keep the tension and horror on high.

Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Jack in the new Dr Who series, and thats not happening if Torchwood goes stateside. I'm not even a big fan of Jack under most circumstances, but he's probably as interesting as he's been right now and I'd hate to see that screwed up.

The only problem I really have with a stateside Torchwood is if Captain Jack is the main character, the Fox executives are probably going to force them to give him a female love interest and never mention Ianto. I'll be pissed off at that personally. If they do keep Jack's omnisexuality, I'll be happy but I will not count on it.

The only problem I really have with a stateside Torchwood is if Captain Jack is the main character, the Fox executives are probably going to force them to give him a female love interest and never mention Ianto. I'll be pissed off at that personally. If they do keep Jack's omnisexuality, I'll be happy but I will not count on it.

Why not? Russell T Davies is helming it so he's not going to fully dump the omnisexual angle. I agree that there's probably going to be a push towards Jack going for a woman, but I doubt that his back history would be fully ignored. I would say that it won't be focal though, as no series is going to ask its audience to research a character by watching a previous series they were in.