Runaways

"Runaways" is the latest Marvel Comics book to get the big-screen treatment from Marvel Studios.

Brian K. Vaughan, who co-created the series with artist Adrian Alphona, is writing the adaptation, for which Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will act as producer. Vaughan is also a co-producer and writer on ABC's "Lost."

As opposed to other Marvel characters getting the silver screen treatment, such as the Hulk and Spider-Man -- who have been around since the 1960s and are pop-culture fixtures -- the heroes in "Runaways" are relatively new, with the comic series launching in 2002.

The title was critically praised for its honest portrayal of teens and their issues and in 2006 won a Harvey Award for best series.

"Runaways" follows a group of teenagers who find that some family secrets are bigger than others when they discover their parents are actually super-villains. Running away from their homes, the teens band together and begin a journey of discovery, both of their parents' origins and of their own inherited powers, while trying to make up for the evil done by their folks.

While Marvel has already scheduled its next four films through 2011, "Runaways," like the company's "Ant-Man" project, remains in the incubation stages.

Vaughan is well known in comic circles for his creator-owned works including "Y: The Last Man," which is in development at New Line, and "Pride of Baghdad."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...e60593f7ed44e2b

Wow. I did not expect this one.

I'm also in the "didn't see that coming" camp, and while I think the book is good enough to make it to the silver screen. I gotta say that I figured a story like this might translate better as a TV series.

Give Marvel some credit though, at least they're taking a chance on one of the newer titles.

From what the plot sounds like and the fact it isn't well known to people who don't read comic books. It would definitely make a great TV Series. Since its still early in the stages before there's a final desicion, maybe they'll decide to place it that way. Anybody on this forum ever read an issue of this comic? How is it?

I think if they intended TV they'd do TV. It's much easier to get a film greenlit than a TV show.

Marvel Studios can go ahead and make the film knowing with almost 100% certainty it will be in theatres in a year.

Television is much more competitive and ruthless than film and I don't think Arad has the pull in TVland like he does in Hollywood.

I'm thinking this one will be aimed at a younger audience. Some of their decisions lately seem to show that they are going after the kids now instead of just their parents. It's ballsy to make a movie about a franchise that isn't established with a 30+ year history.

Anybody on this forum ever read an issue of this comic? How is it?

It's good. I don't read it regularly, but after Mike gave me an issue to review a couple of months back I went and got some back issues. It's a clever idea, and Joss Whedon had been writing it for a while.

I'm thinking this one will be aimed at a younger audience. Some of their decisions lately seem to show that they are going after the kids now instead of just their parents. It's ballsy to make a movie about a franchise that isn't established with a 30+ year history.

I think so, too. Still, the fanboys will recognize the name, and I think that the concept is good enough that it could draw in the norms. (And the lack of 30 years of continuity might actually help matters.)

Anybody on this forum ever read an issue of this comic? How is it?

It's good. I don't read it regularly, but after Mike gave me an issue to review a couple of months back I went and got some back issues. It's a clever idea, and Joss Whedon had been writing it for a while.

I didn't know Joss Whedon does the comic. I'm a fan of Buffy and Angel and Alien; Ressurection, so I might go pick it up.

• 1 year later...
Deadline New York reports that Marvel Studios is negotiating with Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist helmer Peter Sollett to direct Runaways, based on the comic book series co-created by Brian K. Vaughan and artist Adrian Alphona.

Runaways follows a group of teenagers who find that some family secrets are bigger than others when they discover their parents are actually super-villains. Running away from their homes, the teens band together and begin a journey of discovery, both of their parents' origins and of their own inherited powers, while trying to make up for the evil done by their folks.

The film will be distributed under Marvel's pre-Disney deal with Paramount Pictures.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=9247

Wow...take things seriously much?

Sorry.

I think the sun has set on this property though.

It has potential if certain movies (I'd say Kickass and Scott Pilgrim) do well. It wouldn't be a very traditional Superhero movie. That said, with the fact that the book got put on indefinite hiatus and that it just wasn't the same since Brian K. Vaughan left it, yeah, it could be potentially very dead in the water.

• 1 month later...
Marvel Studios continues to look ahead past The Avengers. Having already hired Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist director Pete Sollett to helm the studio’s adaptation of Runaways, they’ve now selected writer Drew Pearce to tackle the film’s screenplay.

Pearce is best known as the creator of No Heroics, the 2008 British comedy series about a group of superhero friends who have to deal with everyday tasks including grocery shopping and enduring traffic jams. I’m curious to see how Pearce handles the script, especially because I was very much hoping that Runaways creator Brian K. Vaughan would have control over the film’s story.

Marvel’s Runaways focuses on a group of children who run away from home after finding out that their parents form the inner circle of a deadly crime syndicate. These heroic children include sorceress Nico Minoru, alien Karolina Dean, mutant Molly Hayes, arrogant Chase Stein and dinosaur-wielding Gertie Yorkes.

Source

• 1 month later...
Production Weekly reports that Marvel plans to begin filming the adaptation of Runaways in January.

Created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, Runaways centers on six kids who discover their parents are super-villains known as the Pride. Fleeing from their homes, the kids band together to learn about their inherited powers, defeat the Pride and make up for the evil committed by their parents.

Runaways debuted in 2003 as part of Marvel’s short-lived Tsunami imprint, but was canceled after just 18 issues. The series has been relaunched and canceled two more times, under such creators as Joss Whedon, Michael Ryan, Terry Moore, Humberto Ramos, Kathryn Immonen and Sara Pichelli.

The film adaptation was announced in May 2008, with Vaughan writing the screenplay. It was reported this spring that Peter Sollett (Nick And Nora’s Infinite Playlist) was negotiating to direct, while Drew Pearce (No Heroics) had been hired to tackle the script.

Source

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
While Marvel put pedal to the metal to bring The Avengers and Iron Man 3 into the Disney distribution fold, the superhero factor has pumped the brakes on Runaways, the youth-oriented superhero movie that had been moving quickly toward a production stars. Word in agency circles is that the project was flat-lining because it's similar in age demo to Kick-Ass, but insiders tell me that isn't true. Marvel simply has too much going on at the moment and will take its time on the live action adaptation of the comic hatched by Lost writer Brian K. Vaughan. It's called the Breakfast Club of superhero saga, dealing with the children of super-villains who are cursed with evil superpowers. They live in a secret lair under the La Brea tar pits, and try to use their unusual powers for heroic purposes. Director Peter Sollett, who signed up with the idea this would be his followup to Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, is still attached but has been invited to take another film first.

Source