Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

Ghost (Patrick Swayze, Whoopi Goldberg, Demi Moore): Caught 2/3rds of this movie. Surprisingly violent and swearing in places, was this a PG-13? Swayze was one of 80s Hollywood's most charming actors, Whoopi Goldberg does a good job with a thinly written character, and Demi Moore's operating on permanent cry-face throughout what I saw of the movie. It was fine.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly violent and swearing in places, was this a PG-13?

PG-13 actually had some teeth in those days. Now it's the default, but back then movies were usually PG unless there was something in there a parent could conceivably object to.

Like, when it was announced Batman '89 was rated PG-13, people were really surprised.

Surprisingly violent and swearing in places, was this a PG-13?

PG-13 actually had some teeth in those days. Now it's the default, but back then movies were usually PG unless there was something in there a parent could conceivably object to.

This stuff just writes itself....

Halloween: I wanted to get it out of the way early. And no matter what Pandy says, it's a good movie. Slow, yes, but good. 

Films Watched: 101

In fairness, not many people are on Team Pandy where Halloween is concerned. 

I'm sort of there with Pandy. While I think it's a well-made movie, recent viewings did not hold my interest. I might have to listen back to the Jamie Lee Curtis episode to refresh myself on all of his thoughts, but, if I recall, I was nodding along with most of them.

Halloween: I wanted to get it out of the way early. And no matter what Pandy says, it's a good movie. Slow, yes, but good. 

Films Watched: 101

In fairness, not many people are on Team Pandy where Halloween is concerned. 

I'm sort of there with Pandy. While I think it's a well-made movie, recent viewings did not hold my interest. I might have to listen back to the Jamie Lee Curtis episode to refresh myself on all of his thoughts, but, if I recall, I was nodding along with most of them.

The most recent Black Dog podast covered it and there's an interestingly wide range of views.

Yoga Hosers

Kevin Smith has lost it. I don't think he knows what is funny anymore. Whether it's all the weed or just not giving a shit anymore, I don't know. The jokes went too long, and weren't funny to begin with. It feels like it's a family friendly movie, but there is cussing. There were at least two times where the girls broke character in the scene where they just start laughing and they kept it in. I have a feeling he was high while writing, filming, and editing this thing because that is the only explanation for why anyone would think it's good. 

Labyrinth: Mostly to appreciate David Bowie but also since I felt like a musical and fantasy at the time. Always a joy to watch and it's far enough separated from Bowie's passing that I wasn't constantly depressed.

The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay Parts 1 and 2: Jennifer Lawrence is good at making things work. There are things in the series that don't work but, overall, it stays pretty consistent for four movies.

Scream: This was my first real horror film. It's my tradition to watch it every Halloween season and I can quote most of the film as I'm watching it.

Scream 2: My favorite in the series. It gets just the right mix of horror and comedy and it gets points for not retreading too much of the original.

Repo: The Genetic Opera: Because I was drunk last night, I switched over to a musical instead of a movie I was going to get angry with. I think I might have annoyed my roommates because I really started bellowing with Zydrate Anatomy.

Films: 105
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3
Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 2

Akira: I've seen this at least twice before, but it was on television and I was too young to follow it closely. For most of this viewing I kept mentally comparing it to Ghost in the Shell, which is not fair as that was seven years later. I do think that it's one of those situations where you can definitely appreciate its influence on things that came later by recognizing how it set a trend. What I'm surprised by is how clearly the directors and animators of Dragon Ball Z were influenced by this film. I mean at first thought it's obvious, but I'm thinking Akira Toriyama directly. This was in 1988, and the manga in 1982. The DBZ anime wouldn't start until 1989, and in the manga it would not be too far into the Z portion where we saw more of the Saiyan arc. You cannot watch Akira and not think that Vegeta was partly a take on Tetsuo. With their look and inferiority complex, they're unmistakably similar.

But aside from the obviously great animation, I was kind of in my "impress me" feelings for the first half. Once the shit hits the fan with Tetsuo manifesting his powers, it got better and better, and in the last half hour you can't take your eyes off it. I love me a good apocalypse story, and while The End of Evangelion is a much weirder, disturbing and horrific movie that I love, this still has the requisite horror show of body mutation and a city blowing up that takes the story to the next level. But I really like the character designs. the women aren't drawn to look overtly feminine, which makes the setting and characters feel more realistic, even though it's pretty stylized. Otomo's style is like Toriyama's in how it's unlike most anime/manga and conflicts its cartoony nature with a realistic flourish on vehicles. I'm spoiled by later works, and still think that Ghost in the Shell takes this film's lunch money, but it's still obviously a classic and required viewing for fans of animation.  

Edited by Donomark

Batman - Return of the Caped Crusaders: I wasn't planning to watch this as soon as I did, but a friend went to the Fathom event screening and raved about it, so I bought it off iTunes. It's pretty great. Downsides are the fact that West and Newmar are obviously in their 80s and don't talk like they did 50 years ago, and the animation is a bit stiff at the beginning. But what separates this from something like Brave and the Bold is that this is straight up an episode of the 60s show in animation. It's like a lost episode. The 60s show was camp; it was satire. It wasn't about good vs. evil, it was about the inherent sillyness of it all. There are some great references to the history of the show, a particular favorite of mine early on when they call back to Catwoman's three actresses. Catwoman herself is wonderfully brought to life, as her relationship with Batman is the main focus of the story like it kind of always was. Any kids coming into this expecting a final showdown between Batman and the Joker won't realize that West and Newmar's barely under-the-table sexual tension was the real star of the show. Burt Ward does a great job as well. I do feel a little spoiled because Brave and the Bold often lampooned/homaged the 60s show so some of the flavor isn't as fresh as I think it would have been. This was co-written by James Tucker, who show-ran BATB and is all about Silver Age Batman, so there's connective tissue. Definitely recommended though, check it out.

Pandorica: since I'm bored of Luke Cage and it's halfway through October, I figured I should watch horror movies. This one is like a cross between Hunger Games and Predator. A post-apocalyptic survival horror thing. Pretty good. Review forthcoming.

Features: 160

Shorts: 88

Documentaries: 14

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: Review forthcoming for Comic Book Film Revue, but come on. It's Mask of the Phantasm. Only thing I'll say right now is that I don't think I appreciated how truly dark this entire story is. This script was not written for kids. I mean it was, but...you know.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: Review forthcoming for Comic Book Film Revue, but come on. It's Mask of the Phantasm. Only thing I'll say right now is that I don't think I appreciated how truly dark this entire story is. This script was not written for kids. I mean it was, but...you know.

Just wanna add real quick as we recorded and I forgot to mention that there's a direct Akira reference in one of the flashbacks