Every film you've watched in 2016

Missy

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey: This has a lot going for it. It's VERY different from its predecessor, which very few sequels can say. It's also got an amazing performance from William Sadler as Death. It's fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original. Also, weirdly, I just realized that the B&T films were written by Chris Matheson, Richard Matheson's son.

Features: 149

Shorts: 76

Documentaries: 13

Playing a bit of catch-up here....

Ocean's 11: As far as remakes go, it's more than a little decent. Definitely one of my favorite, just throw on as background noise movies. I love the soundtrack.

Terrordactyl: A fairly weird and dumb Sci-Fi television movie.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: I live-tweeted this last night because I needed to decompress with Gene Wilder's passing. Despite making fun of it, this is one of the movies that can always cheer me up. Except that song that Charlie's mom sings. That's a momentum killer.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: Seriously, this one works so much better when you look at it as the struggle of a closeted gay teenager trying to come to terms with who he is while Freddy terrorizes him. Once you do, it goes from pretty bad to hilariously bad.

Sharknado 2: Once again, watched it with the Rifftrax. There isn't much to say. Too many celebrity cameos and it gets way too dumb, even by the standards of something called Sharknado.

Films: 89
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3
Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 2

Edited by dc20willsave

Batman-Assault on Arkham: This was pretty fun. I put off watching this for a long time because it came out after Justice League: War which was trash, and I had no inclination to see a movie which would presumably double down on that type of storytelling. But I actually really enjoyed this. Like with the live action Suicide Squad, what makes this work is that there's true personalities with the main characters. Some good quips and well defined characters, coupled with really good animation. I loved Killer Frost in this, both design and Jennifer Hale's voice work. If they used this type of animation for the Killing Joke, that movie would've have something going for it.

Conspiracy (2001) : Bleak but brilliant HBO film about the Wannsee Conference, where the Final Solution was laid out. Quite sobering to see and hear people talk about the extermination of the Jews with the same calmness and confidence as explaining that 1 and 1 make 2, and to learn how few of the officials there were ultimately brought to justice. Even the critics of Heydrich and Eichmann's plan are still bonafide anti-Semites. A bit strange that Stanley Tucci didn't change his American accent, since he would go to play a German quite convincingly ten years later, and that two of the major Nazis present are played by actors famous for their portrayals of Winston Churchill and King George VI. Still, great performances overall, especially from Branagh and Firth. Also, one of Tom Hiddleston's first film roles.

I've started working through my David Lynch boxset, so...

Eraserhead: extremely odd and deeply unsettling, and while I can see and appreciate the beginnings of Lynch's style, I have no desire ever to watch it again.  I also completely failed to recognise Jack Nance from Twin Peaks.

Blue Velvet: more palatable, although not without its share of disturbing/unpleasant scenes.  Lots of extra points for having Kyle McLachlan in it, and Dean Stockwell was great.

I Am Road Comic: documentary sequel to I Am Comic. Highlights a short road trip with Wayne Federman (hilarious) and the film's director who hasn't done comedy in a decade (not hilarious in any way) and a brand new comedian opening for them. Interesting set-up. Good interview portions with other comedians as well. Decent.

Features: 153

Shorts: 76

Documentaries: 14

Spider-Man 3: I've only seen this about 3 or 4 times, twice in the theater when it first came out nearly ten years ago (ugh). It's a solid, good movie. The subplots don't completely converge and there's definitely a value disparity when it comes to the Venom scenes and Sandman scenes. But honestly on its own it's perfectly fine. Raimi's direction is better than a lot of comic films today, that's something I feel that's been taken for granted. The effect however are stunningly fake, looking worse than the first two films did. Was the budget low or something?

Ultimately, and I know Ian's gonna ding me on this, but my biggest hang-up is with Tobey Maguire. He's a fine actor. He does everything that's asked of him. I just think he's a bit too odd in this one. His Peter went from a shy dork in the first two films to a full-on geek in this third one. I mean...that's really not Peter Parker. That's the Peter Parker of this trilogy, and for that I guess it works fine. But he's fairly unsympathetic throughout the entire movie, even before the symbiote gets on him. I feel that a better actor could've carried that off with more aplomb, where we recognized Peter was acting as a douche but still felt for him. IDK...and maybe Andrew Garfield wasn't that man either, but it really was apparent for this viewing.

Everyone else is great. JK Simmons will never be supplanted as THE J. Jonah Jameson. Rosemary Harris...I forgot how perfect she was as Aunt May. Honestly even James Franco and especially Kirsten Dunst do better than I think people remember. Mary Jane wasn't great, but she was acted better.

It's not the threequel people wanted. I remember the trailers making this movie look so epicly dark and intense, and it's too much parked in the Raimi safe-zone of how he toned his Spider-Man movies. There's not enough edge to give it a separate personality, it's just like the first two films. But it's still a good movie. At times a really good movie. The fanboy expectations and Tobey Maguire hold it back for me.

I am due to watch this by the end of the year, for what would only be the second time, so I’ll reserve judgment until then.

But I loved Street-dancing douchebag Peter as much as I hate the plot of ASM.

Where's that dead horse for me to beat? Oh, it's been turned into a fucking lizard. ...

Aliens- Okay overall, but kinda proof that more can be less. A few tropes and characters Cameron would later use in Avatar are present here too and

Hudson couldn't die soon enough. Definitely picked up steam, though, once the Alien Queen showed up.

And yes, I'm putting spoiler tags on a post about a thirty-year old movie in case Pandy hasn't seen it yet.

Aliens- Okay overall, but kinda proof that more can be less. A few tropes and characters Cameron would later use in Avatar are present here too and

Hidden Content

And yes, I'm putting spoiler tags on a post about a thirty-year old movie in case Pandy hasn't seen it yet.

Thanks man!

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - Despite my issues with it (I.e. Asians and foreigners in general have no bearing beyond the trappings of culture, the "love scene" didn't feel right) I loved the hell out of this. Visuals, action, worldbuilding, music(for the most part), all topnotch. The actors do amazing work. I love the hell out of Rutger Hauer in this movie.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: One of my favorite classic films. Who says a three hour comedy can't be funny or work?

The Amityville Horror (2005): While I'm not going to call the original a classic, it's definitely a huge improvement over this one. So many cliches, child actors that are annoying to the point where at one point, I was cheering for the house.

Films: 91
Documentaries: 1
Rewatches: 3
Rifftrax Assisted: 2
Made For TV: 2