Oscars 2016

dc20willsave

Just fucking give it to Leo already so people can stop talking about it. (Haven't really seen any of the other actor options, and if they give Eddie Redmayne an Oscar for a film where he's regularly referred to the subject as a dude, I'm gonna rage hard.)

I'd like to see Mad Max sweep, not gonna lie. 

I'm ambivalent to most of the Oscar stuff usually. I was anticipating Straight Outta Compton pretty hard and it delivered. Maybe the best of the year for me. I want to still see The Revenant. I just have zero desire to see Hateful Eight. Or any more Tarantino for the time being, really.

I'm seeing way too many people upset that Star Wars, of all things, isn't up for an Oscar.

I get that everyone really loves feeling like they're 7 years old again, but christ.

It's nominated for five Oscars, FIVE.  Anyone who's upset by that needs to find their way back to reality.

I just have zero desire to see Hateful Eight. Or any more Tarantino for the time being, really.

As with many of your comments I must ask, why?  Were you not a fan of Inglourious Basterds?

I just have zero desire to see Hateful Eight. Or any more Tarantino for the time being, really.

As with many of your comments I must ask, why?  Were you not a fan of Inglourious Basterds?

I was. But I'm tired of Tarantino now. The more I think of Django Unchained, the more of a mess it is. Of the movies he's made, I would only put three in the rewatchable category (Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and Inglourious Basterds, for those keeping score). Everything else is okay (Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained), blah (Kill Bills I and II) or downright awful (Death Proof).

For a guy who's been considered one of the best for 25 years, he sure has made a lot of garbage.

Yeah, I think Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are much better than you do. Django's messy, but there's some great stuff in there. Death Proof is probably his weakest for me. Seeing the roadshow of Hateful Eight was one of the best filmgoing experiences of my life though. 

Yeah, you definitely do. Most people do, I imagine. I would have gone to the roadshow maybe if it came to my town, but I sure as fuck wasn't traveling for it.

I feel he's derivative at best and if only a select few actors can pull off your dialogue, then you probably aren't that good of a writer either.

Edited by Dread

I feel he's derivative at best and if only a select few actors can pull off your dialogue, then you probably aren't that good of a writer either.

Except he's used a lot of different actors. He has his recurring players, but so have many directors since the dawn of narrative film.

Yeah are we criticizing his scripts or his films?  If the dialogue is effective on screen then I'd say he pulled it off regardless of what actors he may have cast.  Also you say he's made a lot of garbage but the only film you're overtly negative about is Death Proof, where's the rest?  You seem to be criticizing Tarantino more for his deification amongst film critics than his actual work which, while admittedly hit or miss, is sporadically excellent with Jackie Brown, Inglourious Basterds, etc. 

Is Django's messiness is really enough for you to swear off his future work all together?

Except he's used a lot of different actors. He has his recurring players, but so have many directors since the dawn of narrative film.

Never said there's anything wrong with that aspect of it. A full half of the speaking parts in DU sound like they're coming from people reading the words for the first time. Awkward.

Yeah are we criticizing his scripts or his films?  If the dialogue is effective on screen then I'd say he pulled it off regardless of what actors he may have cast.  Also you say he's made a lot of garbage but the only film you're overtly negative about is Death Proof, where's the rest?  You seem to be criticizing Tarantino more for his deification amongst film critics than his actual work which, while admittedly hit or miss, is sporadically excellent with Jackie Brown, Inglourious Basterds, etc. 

Is Django's messiness is really enough for you to swear off his future work all together?

I'm criticizing his scripts and his films. No, the messiness is not enough to swear off his work altogether but it's enough to not really care or make an effort to go and see his stuff. I'll see it on DVD or Netflix eventually I'm sure. I'm interested to see his "really scary horror film" that he's talked about doing (ie: project #8,497 that he has on the go) but I don't think he really has the sensibility to do a good one.

I'm not saying he's awful. I'm saying he's about 50%, which is better than a lot of directors out there with the same amount of films. 

This Oscars thread sure is......something. 

For the record, I'm poor until I start the new job in May and the last QT film was a quasi-Western so I'm not prioritising seeing this in the cinema. More tempted to scrimp & save ironically to watch The Big Short.

Holy hell, just seen these. It'll be worth buying Mad Max again just for the disc cover that says "nominated for ten Oscars".

As for Tarantino, I'm not sure he's a horrible guy, but he definitely doesn't feel protective of his characters, he's unsentimental about them. People demand a really high standard from him and want him to edit down but I'm content to let his work sprawl. It's how he gets to his most interesting places. He has a style and that's fine with me. Hateful 8 was like a Tales from Django stageplay, didn't blow me away but I enjoyed it.

Suddenly really really want to see Room not just because Brie Larsen is amazing in general but the premise sounds really intense.

Edited by Stavros