Episode #1

slothian

Interesting concept, Yoda. Not sure what the mentality behind it was, but it was a nice advertisement for the sort of thing Earth-2.net covers.

The presentation got across what you wanted to say, but sounded slightly unprepared. I'm a student DJ and I sounded a lot like that between songs last year, but I've been shown how to improve and it's really worked. If you want to talk about it, hit me up on AIM sometime. I'm Slothian205

I knew what I wanted to cover and the points I needed to hit with each, but, yeah, for the most part I flew by the seat of my pants. (The fact that I recorded the file at 4:30a on zero sleep didn't help either, I'm sure.)

How would you recommend improving and building my confidence?

Ok, first things first. You sound absolutely nothing like you look. :P

I did like the amount of content. I think 1 video game, 1 movie/TV show, and 1 comic book is a really good setup to use. Of course, I can't really say what I thought about your opinions, because I haven't played/read/watched anything that was covered on the show. Though I am about to read the Ultimate Fantastic Four. I'm not terribly hung up about spoilers so don't worry about that bothering me.

Brave thing to do.

You’ve got a very conversational style, which works in your favour. It sounds just like we’re having a phone conversation, and you’re rambling on while I’m taciturn on the toilet.

A few words of friendly advice:

- don’t start a show off by going through the small print. Try and grab the listener, and tease some details of what’s to come.

- don’t dwell too long on any one thing.

- if you didn’t already, write a script, like a foetus-column, raw and leaving plenty of room for growth once actually speaking.

You did a heck of a job really. Talking non-stop for 35-minutes is definitely an impressive feat. I think in general, these conversational audio programs work better when you have somebody to talk and bounce off, but that may be difficult in your position. In a way you have to create a dual-personality, where you debate with yourself.

The most important thing to start with, was that you seemed very comfortable and were easy to listen to.

I liked it.

And for guests, I nominate that Logan guy.

And that Melville kid.

So you're just going to dump me, just like that? You bitch!!! For that assmaster Cash, HE FUCKING STOLE YOUR ACRONYM FOR THE LADDER MATCH!!!!!

All joking aside, I'd love to be a guest

Pretty good overall, Mike. I agree that the fine print at the beginning did seem to dwell too long. I think it needed something to grab our attention right from the start. But talking for near-35 minutes is damn impressive in and of itself. I feel the next installment should have a guest or guests so you can have someone to work off of. That alone would likely make it exponentially better because there will be more emotions and opinions. If you would like me to be a guest on one of these, I'm always willing to help out.

Rating this inaugural episode out of ten, I'd give it a solid 8. Good debut and here's to many, many more. :yes:

Ok, first things first.  You sound absolutely nothing like you look.  :P

How did you expect me to sound?

You’ve got a very conversational style, which works in your favour. It sounds just like we’re having a phone conversation, and you’re rambling on while I’m taciturn on the toilet.

Thanks... I think.

- don’t start a show off by going through the small print. Try and grab the listener, and tease some details of what’s to come.

Keep in mind that this was the first show, so certain things needed to be mentioned. Others, like my comment about the silent pauses, could have been omitted. You, James and Jenny have all said this, and I thank you all for pointing it out.

Out of curiosity, what did I dwell on? Jenny says ICO; what do you say?

You did a heck of a job really. Talking non-stop for 35-minutes is definitely an impressive feat. I think in general, these conversational audio programs work better when you have somebody to talk and bounce off, but that may be difficult in your position. In a way you have to create a dual-personality, where you debate with yourself.

Yeah, I had no idea it would go that long. I was thinking twenty minutes at most, and so I was shocked when I realized how much time had passed.

I have two friends (one of which used to be in radio) I'm attempting to bring in as occasional co-hosts, because this would flow so much more smoothly if I had someone to play off of. Doing so would also add to the "conversational" style of the program.

The most important thing to start with, was that you seemed very comfortable and were easy to listen to.

Did I? I was really nervous, so I'm glad to hear that it didn't come through.

Pretty good overall, Mike.  I agree that the fine print at the beginning did seem to dwell too long.  I think it needed something to grab our attention right from the start.

Having now heard this from three people, I've come up with an idea on how to grab y'all right away with subsequent shows. But you'll have to listen to find out how. ;)

I feel the next installment should have a guest or guests so you can have someone to work off of.  That alone would likely make it exponentially better because there will be more emotions and opinions.

I don't think the next one will have a guest / co-host, but, as I said before, I'm working on it.

Thank you, all of you, for your feedback!

By the way, this marks the 10,000th post for the site!

Edited by Master Yoda

I knew what I wanted to cover and the points I needed to hit with each, but, yeah, for the most part I flew by the seat of my pants. (The fact that I recorded the file at 4:30a on zero sleep didn't help either, I'm sure.)

How would you recommend improving and building my confidence?

The no-sleep kind of hinders things! :D

I'd just say, seeing as I don't know how you prepared, bullet point the specific things you want to say about something and it should cut down on the pauses. See what Cash says as well - he's done this sort of thing longer than I have.

Keep in mind that this was the first show, so certain things needed to be mentioned. Others, like my comment about the silent pauses, could have been omitted. You, James and Jenny have all said this, and I thank you all for pointing it out.

Yeah, it being the first show didn't help. But information about not knowing how long you'll do this, and the silent pauses, could've been said once you've established what the shows about. I have this philosophy, that in all forms of entertainment, you should never dedicate as much time to describing what you’re doing, as you spend actually doing it. It’s just like a column in that sense.

Out of curiosity, what did I dwell on? Jenny says ICO; what do you say?

Specifically, the part where you said you couldn’t tell us much about the game, but kept attempting to nonetheless.

And working with somebody else will help, and probably be more fun for you too.