Round 2: Avengers: Endgame v Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Missy

Round 2: Avengers: Endgame v Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the best

• Avengers: Endgame
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/06/2020 at 05:00 PM

This is the hardest one in this round for me. Endgame does so many things right, but I haven't found myself rewatching it. (Outside of certain fanboy-popping scenes, that is.) On the other hand, I've gone back to GOTGv2 more often because I can relate to the "family of your own making" themes. So, yeah, Guardians it is.

Those last two Avengers movies aren't movies. They're a collection of scenes. Some good moments, lots of baffling choices. You could have cut an hour and twenty off of each of them and made them one movie and it would have been great. As such, Guardians 2 was really fun and a worthy sequel to its predecessor. Also, it had a great villain.

I don't really see the problem with Time-Travel, nor do I feel the movie was lessened for including it. There is a character in this universe that walks around with (what is essentially) a time machine around his neck, so I don't think it was a far-fetched path to go down or wasn't adequately established. Sure, it may feel cheap to some, but its a comic-book movie... frankly, with the amount of comics that revolve around time-travel concepts, I'm surprised we haven't encountered more of it in these films. 

Guardians 2 is fun, has some great moments, some not-so-great moments, and is perfectly fine. But if I were going to rewatch one I'd sooner choose 'Endgame'. On a personal level, it does more for me and it therefore has my vote.   

I went with Guardians 2 because it is just that much more of a personal film. Does it do a vast disservice to Mantis? Oh christ, yes! Do I get annoyed with Drax's characterization? Yep. But everyone else has these story beats and character moments that make me love it that much more. I was not expecting to care about Nebula. Most of all, as a gay man, the entire concept of found family is always going to be something that rings true to me. It's a big part of why I tear up occasionally. Basically, it hits me in the feels.

Endgame is a pretty decent movie but it has more problems than Guardians 2 had. There's the fact that it will always be half a film. It's the better half but it's still not a complete story in and of itself. It's basically Ending: The Motion Picture. Also, while it doesn't do Black Widow the dirtiest move in the entire MCU, it gets there pretty damn quick.

On 8/3/2020 at 5:03 PM, batguy10 said:

I don't really see the problem with Time-Travel, nor do I feel the movie was lessened for including it. There is a character in this universe that walks around with (what is essentially) a time machine around his neck, so I don't think it was a far-fetched path to go down or wasn't adequately established. Sure, it may feel cheap to some, but its a comic-book movie... frankly, with the amount of comics that revolve around time-travel concepts, I'm surprised we haven't encountered more of it in these films.

Pretty much how'd put it. 

I went Endgame. 

• Missy locked this topic