Fox confirms X-Men 4

From http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/2006/...rms_xmen_4.html

[X-Men: The Last Stand] Despite the stupid title "X-Men: The Last Stand", Fox Head Tom Rothman has confirmed that there will indeed be an X-Men 4, and probably more after that as well. Now it's all well and good for him to say that now... but if X-Men 3 is a bomb (which we all know it won't be... even if it sucks) then those words will be quickly eaten.

So why the title "The Last Stand" then? Well, according to the good folks over at Movie Hole, Rothman offers the following explanation:

“It's the conclusion of this trilogy. These three movies work as a trilogy. These characters in this relationship, it's the culmination of that saga. It's the culmination and the resolution of those relationships laid out in the first two movies. That doesn't mean never, I would ever say never again, but I will say that this brings that saga to an end. It's quite the way the last Lord of the Rings, Return of the King, brought that trilogy to a conclusion in terms of those characters, that's what this movie does. It goes all the way back to the first one and rounds off and completes that three-part story”.

I thought they were going to lose the license before they could make another full X-Men movie, but because of the money rolling in from The Last Stand, they will probably scrap the Wolverine movie and just make X-Men 4 instead.

edit: The date on the article is January 26th. I don't think they were actually talking about X-Men 4 so much as the solo movies. I think the 107 million dollar opening weekend will change that.

Hugh Jackman has his own production company which is doing the Wolverine spin off. So that will go ahead regardless of what Fox does.

I also think Marvel are looking to produce their own stuff from now own and exclude studio's from the production process. Ghost Rider is the first in this move, but more will follow.

• 2 months later...
"X-Men" executive producer Lauren Shuler Donner talked to LA Daily News about X-Men 4, for which they would have to renegotiate with the bigger stars, and also Wolverine and Magneto:

"The newer cast members are signed, and the older cast members are not." Considering the older names involved -- Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Romijn, Famke Janssen and Anna Paquin -- that could run into a huge chunk of money.

Shuler Donner reports, "We also have 'Young Magneto' in development."

Anna Paquin could make alot of money because I doubt Halle Berry will go anywhere near it. Famke Jansen and Rebecca Romijn are iffy too.

Is Young Magneto the title? If so, huh? That's a pretty lame title.

• 3 months later...

http://www.xmenfilms.net/xmfnews/

Recently at the company’s web-site, we posted the latest on what was going on with all our movie projects during our last web-cast, which is available for downloading at Marvel.com. At one point during the conference, It was brought up that the future of both the X-Men and Spider-Man movie franchises will depend on how talks between Marvel, The Sony Company, and Fox will go next.

Since then some talks have taken place, and I must say that at the moment, It tends to favor Spider-Man more. Sony is so confident that Spider-Man 3 will be a hit that both the studio and Marvel are in active talks about doing more movies with the current cast and film crew. Talks between Marvel and Fox have not gone so smoothly.

I am not saying that it is hopeless, but there tends to be more disagreement on what to do next with The Children of the Atom. There is really no firm deal on the table as to what to do next. At the time of X3’s release, it was widely reported “well this is the last movie” despite the last scenes that were shown. Then the Box Office results kind of made Fox change their minds, at least all of a sudden they became more open to the idea of doing an X-Men 4.

But Marvel has an alternate plan for the future of these movies. One that Fox is reluctant to take seriously. However, they may have little choice in the matter because ultimately the X-Men are Marvel’s characters and with Marvel making even bigger steps to control and have more say in the production of their movies, the news on the future of the X-Men movies (which will be revealed in good time) I’m sure will come as a pleasent surprise to both the long time X-Men readers and those who have just recently got interested in them because of the movies.

Fox owns the rights to make the movies, but Marvel wants more say so in what they do with them. Marvel might consider taking the rights back and making them with their own studio if their movies make money.

• 1 month later...

Here's a turn up for the books:

Halle Berry Calls Out to X-Men Fans

Source: Superhero Hype! January 11, 2007

We received a lot of mail from fans about this one (sorry folks, we were traveling), but when Halle Berry won for "Favorite Female Action Star" at the People's Choice Awards on Tuesday night, she called out to X-Men fans. Here's a good summary of what she said from XMenFilms.net:

"I had no idea you guys loved Storm so much! Wow, thank you, thank you. And I want to thank Tom Rothman for allowing me to play Storm, and Brett Ratner for allowing Storm to finally use her cape and fly this year." said Halle Berry at yesterday's People's Choice Awards.

"But I have something to ask you guys. You guys really love X-Men? Ok, here's what you have to do. Write letters. Every one of you in this building who love X-Men and want to see X-Men 4, write a letter to Tom Rothman at Fox and tell him so and you will get another one, and I'll be there too."

You can write or e-mail 20th Century Fox regarding X4 at:

20th Century Fox Theatricals

ATTN: Tom Rothman (X-Men 4)

P.O. Box 900

Beverly Hills, CA 90213-0900

foxmovies@fox.com

No pressure Tom!

I take back everything (well some things) I've said or implied about Berry regarding the X-Men franchise. That said, the tone seems to suggest that she enjoyed working under Ratner more than Singer and I'm hardly surprised as Storm had a much bigger role in X3. The fact that X3 wasn't as good as Singer's two installments though....... :happy:

I want Storm(and Berry's ego) out of all future movies. She's useless and boring. She has no story in the movies, she's just there. I think every other mutant had a story going on except her.

Y'see, I think she's needed for continuity now. Xavier basically handed control of the institute to her so she's going to be there if the film is once more going to be based from the Academy. That stops her being useless, if not boring perhaps, and gives her a story if they play out the ending from after the credits.

Y'see, I think she's needed for continuity now. Xavier basically handed control of the institute to her so she's going to be there if the film is once more going to be based from the Academy. That stops her being useless, if not boring perhaps, and gives her a story if they play out the ending from after the credits.

They wrote themselves into a corner with her. They had 3 movies to make her interesting, and they didn't do it. Now they are stuck with her. I think this is one of the things that Marvel is butting heads with them about.

I wouldn't shed a tear if they didn't make anymore. I might be in the minority, but all three of the X-Men movies were really bad, sub-par at best, in my opinion.

You are in the minority! :happy:

Maybe I just don't see what everyone else does, but I've never thought they were any good.

I thought X-2 was brilliant. The other two were garbage, but "X-Men United" was fantastic start to finish.

X-Men (the original) was not garbage. Granted, it wasn't as good as X2, but it was a good film in its own right and I will debate you to the death about that.

I thought X-2 was brilliant. The other two were garbage, but "X-Men United" was fantastic start to finish.

X-Men (the original) was not garbage. Granted, it wasn't as good as X2, but it was a good film in its own right and I will debate you to the death about that.

Perhaps "garbage" was too harsh. But "mediocre" is certainly a fair word to use. As for X-Men 3, that movie was horrendous and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

Yeah, I think "mediocre" sums up the first X-Men film pretty nicely. It was about what I expected at the time, nothing exceptional. X-2 hit it out of the park.

Basically. I still refuse to call the first film mediocre, although I accept that it's a matter of personal preference. Personally, I was very fond of the first film. Then again, I am hopelessly infatuated with Anna Paquin, who had a substantial role in the first film. :wub:

I thought two was generally a better movie than the first but I have some god machine problems with the second film and was (and still am) entertained more by the first.

Like what?

If I remember correctly there were three major points that drove me nuts about that movie beyond just personal preferences (like, common man, cut Cyclops a break... cuz they sure cut him a break in the third on, too; more bad dialogue spots especially with storm and nightcrawler). I'd have to watch it again to remind myself of them all but...

The god machine style "death" of Jean when Iceman is chilling right there. They establish he is good enough to make big honkin' walls out of just the humidity, repairing several cracks in the dam shouldn't have been a big worry. I remember yelling at the screen (yeah, I'm one of those guys) "But Iceman is RIGHT THERE!"

If I remember the other things or if it bugs me enough to go back and watch again I'll expand.