Sin City

Missy

A buddy of mine told me a rumor this weekend, and it went something like this: Robert Rodriguez wanted to make a Sin City film and took the idea to Frank Miller who promptly said, "No." Robert, not wanting to take that for an answer, asked to at least pitch it. Frank listened and he liked what he heard but had one stipulation -- it must be in black and white. Being the accomplished filmmaker that he is, Rodriguez told Frank that a black and white movie would never sell. So Frank baulked at the idea, but Robert asked Frank to let him show him what he could do. And they filmed a ten minute scene using some sort of technology (I'm not into film) that Frank loved. Because Robert uses video and not film, he can film the movie quickly and supposedly have it out by the end of the year or early 2005.

Interesting rumor, but I wasn't sure if it was true. Until I read this:

The Vine: All-star lineup seduced by 'Sin'

Wednesday, March 18, 2004

Robert Rodriguez is packing up a U-Haul with a host of top talent in hopes that they'll move into "Sin City," which he is directing for Dimension Films. According to multiple sources, Leonardo DiCaprio, Bruce Willis, Elijah Wood, Mickey Rourke, Brittany Murphy, Kate Bosworth and Jaime King have been targeted for the film, an adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel series. Some of the actors have already signed on for parts in the pic, while others are only in discussions or have just received offers to join the cast. Other names being bandied about include Benicio Del Toro and Maria Bello, though offers had not yet gone out to either as of late Wednesday. Set to start shooting shortly, "Sin City" will be composed of three intertwining vignettes revolving around a dark set of characters that call the fictional corrupt town home. (Chris Gardner)

(source)

Not crazy about certain members of the cast, but I'm still marking out over a Sin City film!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comments are in bold.

Days before beginning production on the Dimension drama "Sin City," Rodriguez resigned his DGA membership so that he could co-direct with Frank Miller, a film neophyte (Miller actually wrote RoboCop 2 and 3.) who created, wrote and illustrated the three-book graphic novel series (There are seven Sin City trades.) on which the movie is based.

DGA rules dictate that there be only one director assigned to direct a motion picture at any given time, although the guild occasionally grants a waiver to that policy. On Thursday, a DGA spokesman said, "The guild regrets Mr. Rodriguez's resignation, however, we stand firmly behind the principle of one director-one film."

For one thing, Rodriguez plans to have Quentin Tarantino direct part of the film (FUCKIN-A!!!!), along with Miller and him. Tarantino may be billed as a "special guest director" or whatever title Rodriguez wants to bestow, now that he's no longer under strict DGA guidelines about who gets behind-the-camera credit.

He hardly seemed rattled, for instance, that aside from his DGA defection and welcoming a new baby, he was in the thick of assembling cast for a film that begins shooting in four days. Rodriguez has been talking with the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Bruce Willis, Steve Buscemi, Brittany Murphy, Christopher Walken and Michael Douglas.

All that's certain is that Mickey Rourke (Marv or Dwight?) will anchor the story segment that will begin shooting Monday. The remaining cast will draw from those who are available for a reasonable price to work a short shift in a cool film.

Though Miller has done acclaimed graphic novels on Batman and Daredevil and created the Elektra character that will be reprised by Jennifer Garner in the Rob Bowman-directed "Daredevil" spinoff film, the author refused to sell "Sin City" to any filmmaker. Rodriguez wanted it badly enough to write a feature script on spec and shoot the first scene on his own dime with Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton. That and a promise to make Miller his co-director won Rodriguez the property.

(source)

I am wet with anticipation!

I don't think you're lying, I just don't see those stars all working on the same movie. Especially this movie. Maybe I'm just a pessimist.

I didn't think you thought I was lying, I just thought you thought it was a bunch of rumors -- which is what I guess you thought. (Does any of that make sense?)

Having all those actors does sound too good to be true, but it could just be the people Robert has contacted and everyone's blowing it out of proportion.

• 1 month later...
Jessica Alba, who next stars in MGM's underwater actioner "Into the Blue," is in final negotiations to jump into "Sin City" for Dimension Films. Shooting is under way in Austin, Texas, on the project, which is being co-written, -directed and -produced by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, the studio said. Miller penned the graphic novel series that inspired the film. "Sin City" will comprise three intertwining vignettes revolving around a dark set of characters who call the fictional corrupt town home. Alba will star in a section opposite Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke playing Nancy, a beautiful exotic dancer known as "the sweetheart of Sin City." Jaime King, Elijah Wood and Brittany Murphy round out the cast. Rodriguez's partner, Elizabeth Avellan, will also produce through their Troublemaker Studios label. Alba is perhaps best known for her work on James Cameron's "Dark Angel." She starred most recently in Universal Pictures' dance drama "Honey." She is repped by Chris Henze at Thruline Entertainment, Endeavor and attorney Warren Dern. (Chris Gardner)
(source)

I'm sorry, but I don't see her as Nancy.

Here's the cast according to IMDB.com.

Josh Hartnett ....  Dwight

Marley Shelton  

Jaime King ....  Goldie

Maria Bello  

Kate Bosworth  

Steve Buscemi  

Benicio Del Toro  

Johnny Depp ....  Wallace

Leonardo DiCaprio  

Michael Douglas  

Carla Gugino ....  Lucille

Brittany Murphy ....  Shellie

Mickey Rourke ....  Marv

Christopher Walken  

Bruce Willis ....  Hartigan

Elijah Wood ....  Kevin

(source)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some more news and pictures: ETonline. <---- link

EDIT:

And here's an updated cast listing from IMDB.com

Josh Hartnett ....  Dwight McCarthy

Marley Shelton ....  Mary

Jaime King ....  Goldie/Wendy

rest of cast listed alphabetically

Jessica Alba ....  Nancy

Maria Bello 

Kate Bosworth ....  Gail

Jason Douglas ....  Hitman

Carla Gugino ....  Lucille

Brittany Murphy ....  Shellie

Mickey Rourke ....  Marv

Nick Stahl ....  Junior/Yellow Bastard

Makenzie Vega ....  Young Nancy

Bruce Willis ....  John Hartigan

Katherine Willis ....  Nurse Ella Quent, R.N.

Elijah Wood ....  Kevin

(source)

• 2 months later...

Rejoice, a release date has been set, and it's April 1st!

Here's some news concerning the story. It will somehow be an amalgamation of The Hard Goodbye (original Sin City story), The Big Fat Kill, and That Yellow Bastard. However, according to Rodriguez, the DVD will feature the complete versions of all three, separate stories!

Poster time!

Marv.jpg

Nancy.jpg

Gail.jpg

Goldie.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Saw the Trailer for this while waiting for the Aviator... Looks like it's gonna kick major ass.

It's running with The Aviator?

If by running with the Aviator, you mean the Trailer is being shown with the Aviator, then yes it is. At least at the one I went to.

That is what I meant.

Then yes it is.

The whole presentation of the Trailer is what hooked me onto the movie. I'm going to watch it, whether or not it's actually good, which it should be, given that it's got a nice looking cast, and a trio of directors, Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez and Quintin Tarentino.

I tell you, it looks to be awesome.