Best teenage superhero: suggestions

Missy

From the other thread:

How about Best Teenage Superhero? On one side of the brackets we'll have current teen heroes (e.g. Tim Drake, Blue Beetle, Ultimate Spider-Man, Cassie Sandsmark, etc.) and on the other side we'll have classic teen heroes (e.g. Bucky, Superboy, Kon-El, Kid Flash, etc.). By putting current and classic heroes on different sides, we're guaranteed a current v classic finals.

To be considered for the "current" side:

- They must be active (RE: not dead).

- They must be teenagers.

- They must be heroes.

To be considered for the "classic" side:

- They can no longer be teenagers.

- They can either be dead, inactive or grown up (e.g. Impulse, Batgirl and Nightwing respectively).

I see this as either a 32- or 64-character tournament.

Thoughts?

Below are a few suggestions. Keep in mind we need a total of either 32 or 64 characters, with an even split on each side.

Classic

Bucky

Superboy

Kon-El

Kid Flash (Wally West)

Impulse

Spider-Man

Robin (Dick Grayson)

Speedy

Supergirl

Kitty Pryde

Jubilee

Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)

Current

Robin (Tim Drake)

Blue Beetle

Ultimate Spider-Man

Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark)

Supergirl

Stargirl

Gravity

We can't forget members of the Legion of Super-Heroes, New Mutants, Teen Titans and New Warriors, but I don't know which ones to choose.

For current we gotta have some from Runaways, how about Molly Hayes (Princess Powerful). She did defeat the Punisher with one Punch and she's only 12 (making her my personal favorite of the group). If you are going for a big tourney then Nico, Chase, Gertrude and Karolina would all work. Not that I don't like Victor or Xavin, they are just later and less well defined additions.

A couple of other current heroes would be from the Young Avengers, take your pick of Hulkling, Wiccan and/or Stature. Hulkling and Wiccan are the only two founding members left with some cred (Patriot was gassed on MGH and Iron Lad might not even exist anymore).

He's not technically a Superhero but Ethan Chiles used his abilities for the greater good in DC book Hard Time. Tough to be a hero if your in prison for 50 years but he did his best, even using his astral form to save lives on the outside.

Jenny Quantum of the Authority is probably Wildstorms' best offering, even if she didn't have long to try and define herself before that universes reboot.

On the mutant side X-23 is pretty prominant, although there are probably a few people with better knowlage who could suggest others.

Spider-girl is a decent offering even if her book sucks more the further you go on. Used to be really good.

Classic Teen Superheroes would include a few X-men like Cyclops and Jean Grey. They were just students.

Of course Impulse wins it all for me but this will still be interesting.

As you said, Molly isn't a teen. So she's out. If we were to include children, then the Power Pack and Franklin Richards would have to be on here, too. Of the other Runaways, who should be added? They can't all make it. I'm leaning towards Nico and Karolina.

Same with the Young Avengers: let's narrow this down. I'm for Patriot (despite the drugs), Stature and Iron Lad. Maybe Hawkeye too.

Spider-Girl and X-23 will both be added. Any other members of the New X-Men? What about Hellion... is he still alive?

How about some CrossGen characters, like Sephie (Meridian) and Ethan (Scion)?

From Gen13 I'd go with Caitlin and Freefall. Anyone care to make cases for Grunge, Rainmaker or Burnout?

Of the original X-Men I can see Cyclops, Marvel Girl and Iceman making the cut.

I don't know much about Jenny Quantum (last I recall she was a baby); is she a worthwhile teen hero?

As you said, Molly isn't a teen. So she's out. If we were to include children, then the Power Pack and Franklin Richards would have to be on here, too. Of the other Runaways, who should be added? They can't all make it. I'm leaning towards Nico and Karolina.

Actually you could add both Lightspeed and Zero G (14 & 16) even if you do just go with the newer Power Pack books, and in the current Marvel universe I think the three of the pack are teens (the oldest being 19). Not that they are individual heroes of significant merit but still.

Gert would be a definite if she wasn't dead, and I'm a big fan of Chase as well. However the one that probably best represents the group (she is leader) would be Nico, so add her.

Same with the Young Avengers: let's narrow this down. I'm for Patriot (despite the drugs), Stature and Iron Lad. Maybe Hawkeye too.

I'd say Stature's in then. Iron Lad might not even exist anymore so does he really qualify for current? He was only in six issues. I'd rather have Hulkling in than Patriot.

I don't know much about Jenny Quantum (last I recall she was a baby); is she a worthwhile teen hero?

She pretty much defined her personality by what she knew about her former self, Jenny Sparks. When the team was threatened she realised she wasn't going to be given the time to grow up and so she aged herself and started smoking. She also visited all her past incarnations. I'm not saying she's the best teen hero or anything, just if you wanted to put in a Wildstorm offering shes one I know of.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Don't worry, I got this one:

Mike is running an entire site, plus a half dozen podcasts, plus editing the stuff for the mainpage, plus a full time job, plus planning a wedding, plus whatever scraps of relaxation and a social life he may want to make of what remains of his time. Sooner or later, yeah, this will happen. Prodding him about it isn't going to make it happen any faster.

Also, I just like being a tool.