Beowulf: Will it flop?

Missy

Will Beowulf flop at the box office?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Despite the director (Robert Zemeckis), writers (Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary) and cast (Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovich and Robin Wright Penn), I honestly believe Beowulf is going to fail horribly at the box office. According to Wiki it had a budget of $150 million, which seems like a huge risk to take on a CGI action-fantasy film based on a poem most people have never read.

Did anyone see the sneak peak during TUF last night? My word, it looked rancid! One clip showed Beowulf being eaten by a cyclops sea monster. In a fit of glory (used loosely), he burst from the beast and stood atop its open mouth all while screaming at the raging storm. Another clip had him kicking the crap out of a winged monster. In both the animation looked way, way too much like a poorly made video game cut scene.

Despite the director (Robert Zemeckis), writers (Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary) and cast (Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovich and Robin Wright Penn), I honestly believe Beowulf is going to fail horribly at the box office. According to Wiki it had a budget of $150 million, which seems like a huge risk to take on a CGI action-fantasy film based on a poem most people have never read.

I always thought Beowulf was required reading. I know I covered it in High school.

I guarantee at least 80% of American high school students have read it.

As for the movie, I think it'll flop in almost the exact fashion as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within did--horribly.

You know I actually liked that movie.

That's fine. But it flopped so badly that it bankrupted Square's movie division singlehandedly.

i vote YES, ginormous flop.

it's a shame. i don't think that films being done entirely with CGI will ever be taken seriously. i was really excited about Titan A.E. (which was fun, but the numbers were less than stellar), and Final Fantasy (enjoyable, but the animation needed some major improvements, and i HATED some of the actors who did the voices), and i think that Beowulf just seems way over-the-top.

i just think that the entire film industry is already so carved-in-stone, and if a movie doesn't use a particular FORMULA, then it's destined for miserable failure.

baby steps though.

LOS ANGELES, Nov 17 (Reuters) - The battlefield extravaganza "Beowulf" laid waste its rivals at the weekend box office in North America, according to first-day sales estimates issued on Saturday.

Director Robert Zemeckis' effects-heavy interpretation of the Old English poem earned $9.7 million on Friday, tracking firm Box Office Mojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com) reported.

The $150 million film, released domestically by Paramount Pictures, is on track for a weekend haul in the upper $20 million range, in line with expectations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews...743466120071117

• 6 years later...

I did not like this movie. The only people who I have met, who did enjoy the movie where people who are into computer graphics and enjoyed the motion capture technology.

While I can sorta see Gaiman and Avery trying to explain why the Danes are gone, I felt making the protagonists unlikeable did not engage the audience.

I had to read the poem in high school, but listened to a audio production of Michael Crichtons retelling "Eaters of the Dead." That version attempted to make the legend as close to reality as possible. But I like Chrichtons version better because he made Grendel, his kind (oh yeah there is an army of Grendels that goes to avenge their fallen commerade), and his mother very intimidating. The audience felt good when the heroes triumphed over the villains and not the sick feeling that most got when they saw the Zemekis movie.

And as for whether it was a flop or not. I have heard some call it a moderate success and some call it a flop. At the time of posting this there are two Hercules movies coming out in the same year but there has not been another Beowulf movie in seven years. It may not be a flop but was not successful enough to keep going.