Ultimate Spiderman Opinions

Doug

What do you think of ultimate spiderman?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys I love the comicbook series "Ultimate Spiderman" because of the fresh new look of a popular and well known character. I enjoy thethe snappy diolge, and how even though it is not aimed torward five year olds it is not a total exclipt violence and but still can get away with more dark toned plots. But I know that not everybody does not enjoy and I would like to know what thew] major population of the forums think of that run!

EDIT: I meant the more "sophisticated" dialog :blush:

I happen to love USM. Even after 115-ish issues, it's still smart and fresh, and is easily the best Spider-Man comic on the market today. The characters are all so real, the action is intense and the pacing is perfect. On top of all that, the drama that comprises Peter Parker's life is captured perfectly. Yeah, sometimes the dialog is a little too snappy, but everything else makes up for that one very minor complaint.

I happen to love USM. Even after 115-ish issues, it's still smart and fresh, and is easily the best Spider-Man comic on the market today. The characters are all so real, the action is intense and the pacing is perfect. On top of all that, the drama that comprises Peter Parker's life is captured perfectly. Yeah, sometimes the dialog is a little too snappy, but everything else makes up for that one very minor complaint.

Cool, thats what I was trying say but it was late and Im sure when your podcasts sometimes you feel the same way. Any way even thought this is off topic I wanted to tell you how much I loved worlds finest pod cast and I just started emailing you guys (using my gmail).

I've enjoyed pretty much the entire series, but I have to say I'm not digging the recent art change. Not that it's bad...it's just not Bagley.

Oh yah I forgot the art changed. I have not picked up a (Dang i forgot what they were called, oh yah) digest in a while, have not had the time, its a shame.

I've enjoyed pretty much the entire series, but I have to say I'm not digging the recent art change. Not that it's bad...it's just not Bagley.

Oh yah I forgot the art changed. I have not picked up a (Dang i forgot what they were called, oh yah) digest in a while, have not had the time, its a shame.

I believe you're thinking of a TPB. And when was it cartoony and anime-ish (before the recent art by Immonen that is)?

I believe you're thinking of a TPB. And when was it cartoony and anime-ish?

http://www.jkrweb.com/comics/images/ultimate-spider-man.jpg

Well I mean like this looks better to me, dont really know how to discribe it

Yikes.....it looks like I'm the only one here who doesn't like it.........

I've read the first 20 issues or so and I really enjoyed it........for the most part.....

Mark Bagley has carved himself a nice little niche and I really think that he's going to be considered one of the classic Spiderman artists.........the writing and dialogue is crisp and the story moved along at a nice clip......

The reason I dislke it is that it's not happening in the Marvel Universe Proper.........

The Ultimate line is a great experiment in theory......who wouldn't want to read vibrant, colorful 're-tellings' of the iconic Marvel classics? Who wouldn't want to support an EIC's attempt to do away with decades of continuity.......giving younger fans a chance to jump on and enjoy......in a different light.....the same stories we've become so familiar with? Who would look down on such an obvious labor of love?

Unfortunately, I would.

When I look for a great Spiderman story I want to be able to pick up a copy of Amazing Spiderman. When I want a great Fantastic Four story I want to pick up a copy of Fantastic Four. Ditto for X-men......same for the Avengers.

It seems incredibly shortsighted to have that point of view......but if you're going to have great comic book stories......if you're going to put all this time and effort and obvious care into crafting great stories....why not do it in the books they originally sprang from?

Another problem I have with the Ultimate Spiderman is that when the younger fans who have grown up reading Ultimate Spider start picking up the Core Spiderman titles.....they're going to feel just as disoriented and out of sorts THEN as they're going to feel now if they pick up a copy of Spiderman.....

So in ten years are they going to have a new rehashing of the books to enable the next generation of readers to have a jumping on point for Spiderman?

The Ultimate line is again....a labor of love so I can't bitch too much......but all this is doing is pushing Marvel further and further down the path to a dark, dark door that has the word 'Crisis' on it.

I'm all for fun stories, but not at the expense of the source material........

Marvel will never have a Crisis. And by "never" I mean until the end of next month.

Anyway! :P

First we have to remember that the aim of the Ultimate Universe isn't to retell those classic Marvel tales. Are there similarities? Yes, but Peter never dated Kitty Pryde in the core universe. Venom is an alien, not a cancer-curing bio-suit. Gwen was tossed off a bridge, not killed by Carnage. It took MJ and May decades to learn the truth about Peter, not a few years. The Ultimate Clone Saga didn't suck! I could go on and on. Sorry if I'm ranting, but it irks me when people claim that the Ultimate Universe is a retelling of the 616 / core Marvel Universe. It's not.

It's also fun for creators to have a sandbox that isn't tied to a stream of events and decades of continuity. If Bendis wants to write Spider-Man flirting with someone, he can't do that in New Avengers (not until January, that is). But he can do that in Ultimate Spider-Man. Wolverine can screw Jean. Hulk can eat people. Nick Fury can have an arm torn off. There's so much more you can do with those characters because it's a fresh take on them.

I understand thinking Amazing Spider-Man is the end all, be all Spider-Man book. That's fine. But you shouldn't dismiss great stories simply because they're out of the core continuity.

When it comes to kids who might be confused by the transition from the Marvel Adventures and Ultimate lines to the core universe, one or two issues will clear that up. Thanks to the Internet and Wiki, anyone can look anything up in a snap.

Slighty off topic question here, but I recall seeing a picture a while ago of Ultimate Reed Richards looking into a mirror or portal of some sort, with 616 Reed looking back at him on the other side.

Anything ever come of that?

I think that was the zombie Reed......

Abut the Ultimate U....I just don't know. In fact Yoda I think we've had this discussion before many moons ago.....

Perhaps I'm just getting old (Hell, no perhaps about it....) and I just can't stop clinging to the way things used to be......

Honestly though....when they started numbering the earths all I could do was think 'Crisis'.......it's a nod to the DC system of planet numbering I know...

DW: That image of Ultimate Reed looking at "616" Reed was a ruse. Marvel wanted readers to believe that the two universe were finally going to cross, when, really, Ultimate Reed was tricked into crossing into a zombie-infested universe. That is what spawned the whole Marvel Zombies craze, in fact.

Calibos: Don't worry. Marvel is not going to replace the longstanding universe with the Ultimate Universe. I know that's been a fear of readers since the Ultimate line was first announced, but it's not going to happen.

DW: That image of Ultimate Reed looking at "616" Reed was a ruse. Marvel wanted readers to believe that the two universe were finally going to cross, when, really, Ultimate Reed was tricked into crossing into a zombie-infested universe. That is what spawned the whole Marvel Zombies craze, in fact..

Ah... lame.