The Happening

JackFetch

I've been let down recently by Shyamalan's movies, so I had almost zero hype for this one until I remembered reading about it over a year ago. This is the one where

the Earth gets tired of us humans and tries to kill us all off by using the plants and trees to release toxins that make us kill ourselves.

I heard really good things about it.

In the 20th Century Fox release, starring Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, John Leguizamo and Betty Buckley, a couple goes on the run from an apocalyptic crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity.

hrthehappeningposterzq4.th.jpg

I've been let down recently by Shyamalan's movies, so I had almost zero hype for this one until I remembered reading about it over a year ago. This is the one where

the Earth gets tired of us humans and tries to kill us all off by using the plants and trees to release toxins that make us kill ourselves.

I heard really good things about it.

In the 20th Century Fox release, starring Mark Wahlberg, Zooey Deschanel, John Leguizamo and Betty Buckley, a couple goes on the run from an apocalyptic crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity.

hrthehappeningposterzq4.th.jpg

Let me guess: it's all a dream?

Personally, it's a little late for him. Sixth Sense worked for what it was. Even Unbreakable, a guilty pleasure, worked for me. BUt by the time The Village rolled around (of which there was also discussion of it being his first film without a twist), it was tiresome.

He's a one-trick pony whose best work was an American Express commercial as far as I"m concerned. It's a good commercial though.

What I had read originally was that this would be his first movie without a twist at the end.

I'm guessing the live action movie of Avatar: The Last Airbender will be his first one without a twist.

The twist will be that the cartoon was live action all along...only in an alternate universe where live action really is animation.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't even shout, can't even cry

The Gentlemen are coming by

Looking in windows, knocking on doors

They need to take seven and they might take yours

Can't call to mom, can't say a word

You're gonna die screaming but you won't be heard.

That immidiately came to mind.

Anyway don't be confused DW. Zooey is a crush of mine as well, ever since Hitchhiker Guide.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a megabump.

So I got the DVD from Netflix. I've been meaning to see it for a while, and finally got around to it. It's a little silly but there was one scene that I just can't get over.

Dude walks into the lion's den at the zoo. Offscreen, he loses an arm. OK, I can deal with that. Then, we see a lion rip his other arm off at the elbow... by lightly tugging on it. Does this guy's muscles, skin and tendons have the tensile strength of tissue paper? Come on, it doesn't work that way.

See, here's the way it is. I can suspend disbelief for the movie, that there is a toxin that is making people kill themselves. But unless you provide some other explanation, you can't have a dude's arm get ripped off because a lion is lightly tugging on it.

I'm 30 minutes in. The next hour is going to be a very, very long hour.

OK, we're polluting the earth so the plants teamed up to kill us. Gaia must have supernaturally sped up their evolution. She's going to get us for blaspheming her with our pollution!

We need to show Gaia that we love her and will start respecting the earth. The logical first step is for all of us to sit in a drum circle, smoke some dope and sing songs about love and peace. And wear hemp. Just watch out for Eric Cartman and his drill.

The only thing missing was for someone to say "Gaia damn it!" and be stomped on by an Ent for taking her name in vain.

I wanted a movie, not a sermon. If I want a sermon, I'll go to church. Advocating for a cleaner environment is fine, but taking your environmentalism and ramming it down my throat for 90 minutes is not the way to produce an entertaining movie.