Favorite / Best: Paul Verhoeven

Missy

Choose one from each category  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Robocop is easily my favorite, but it might also be his best. The satire mixed with the ultra-violence so perfectly! That said, I haven't voted; I need to see Starship Troopers again, because the themes / commentary might push that one above Robocop in the "best" category.

Total Recall and Total Recall, in that order.

Ditto. Even Arnold couldn't spoil that movie! Although every time I think of it, I immediately picture the bug-eye scenes...

That's why I don't like it. That is the only thing that's stuck for me. That and sexy pre-octogenarian Sharon Stone...

Total Recall and Total Recall, in that order.

Ditto. Even Arnold couldn't spoil that movie! Although every time I think of it, I immediately picture the bug-eye scenes...

That's why I don't like it. That is the only thing that's stuck for me. That and sexy pre-octogenarian Sharon Stone...

There are so many things that stick out for me. The Johnny Cab, the walk through x-ray machine, Quatto, "Get Ya ass tah Mahs", The three boobed lady, and the fact that the whole movie might have been a dream were what made it memorable for me.

Totall Recall and Total Recall.

I love that film, it is probably my favourite Arnie film (though not because of him) and I think it is the best from this list. Starship Troopers is an awesome movie, but I think it is a bit hammy to be the best of the lot. Robocop is a great movie, but I'm always torn with Robocop, sometimes I felt the story gets blurred, like the bits with the family and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok well here I go with my Movie geek'um

Now director Paul Verhoven is an excellent director, but like most excellent director he has duds, here's my lineup:

Basic Instinct, is by far one of his most impressive pieces of work, it doesn't have action or explosions, but it has suspense, erotism and cat and mouse. It takes the best elements from films like Fatal Atrraction and hightens it to Paul Verhoven's talent. Not to mention we have the very beautiful Sharon Stone in the role. I still haven't seen part II, but I heard it's a film to avoid. The unrated version adds a little more, but not too much. This is a great film to sit down and watch, but don't let yourself get distracted or you might miss something.

Flesh & Blood haven't seen, sorry.

Hollow Man, I've only seen this film once and in my opinion this is a weak attempt at remaking a modern day Invisible Man story and adding blood and a little more storyline. This is one of his duds and a very poor choice in films for Kevin Bacon.

Robocop, now this is the film that woke my eyes up to Paul Verhoven's directing ability, not to mention Robocop himself. It was made and released before Batman or The Punisher, so at that time Superhero types(even though he isn't classified as a superhero, I was 7)were goody goods and did everything by the book. So to have a hero like Robocop jump on the screen and take no BS, was cool. I didn't name is a favorite, because I do love Total Recall a little more, but this is my 2nd favorite.

Showgirls, okay bring out the ultimate dudm I'm sorry I already did that with Hollow Man, lol. This film in my opinion isn't as bad as most critic have made it out to be, the sets are great, the story is decent, but the acting was cheesy at times, overdone at times(mostly by Elisabeth Burkley)and the story last too long. This film was a break out film for Ms Burkley who wanted to shed her good girl image of Jesse Spano(from Saved By the Bell) and chose(just like Alyssa Milano in Poison Ivy II)to do it this way. I have VIP edition, which features a number of drinking game excessories, games, etc. It's no where near a favorite, but visually its a decent film.

Starship Troopers, now I don't like bug films, I think that from a film history stand point the big bug films of the 50's was horrible, but this is a terrific film. All the actors were in place, the Special Effects were terrific and we have future Batgirl/Oracle Dina Meyer sacrificing herself and showing us guys a great side of her. Michael Ironside (future General Lane) is always one of my favorite bad guys and in this one he kicks ass as a good guy with a stick up his butt. And we have future voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man Neil Patrick Harris finally getting over his once Doogie Howser image(although, he's still a wiz). Great film all around. Notice all the superhero connection too.

Total Recall, probably my favorite Paul Verhoven film out there. Arnold Schwarzenegger is great, Sharon Stone is perfect and a B****. Michael Ironside once again if you manage to cast him in a film, make him a bad guy or a bad ass, you can't lose. Great, just great.