Episode 18

RSS

It's the end of an era! After 18 episodes of World's Finest Podcast, James and Mike are finally here to discuss the final five episodes of Batman: The Animated Series: "Harley's Holiday," "Lock-Up," "Make 'em Laugh," "Deep Freeze" and "Batgirl Returns." [ 2:00:56 || 55.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_018.mp3

Anyone else having difficulties downloading it? Mine says it's going to take 49 minutes longer and I'm at 28%. :unsure:

Well my automatic downloader is not working, I have to manully push "Update Podcast". Anyway, Im notr watching this till later. I am upgrading my 4 gb I-pod to a 8 gb nano, New I-pod with my favorite podcast (with a new episode) .... Cool!

Anyone else having difficulties downloading it? Mine says it's going to take 49 minutes longer and I'm at 28%. :unsure:

Well my automatic downloader is not working, I have to manully push "Update Podcast".

This is my problem with DM...it sits un downloading and I have to manually grab it?!

It's the end of an era! After 18 episodes of World's Finest Podcast, James and Mike are finally here to discuss the final five episodes of Batman: The Animated Series: "Harley's Holiday," "Lock-Up," "Make 'em Laugh," "Deep Freeze" and "Batgirl Returns." [ 2:00:56 || 55.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_018.mp3

Did you guys ever get my email about how me and my mom love the dcau?

Hello everyone, here is another review by yours truly.

Before I review I must mention this to my fellow geeks. I watched the George C Scott version of A Christmas Carol on Christmas and notice a few connections. A few of the actors have been in Comic Book related material.

George C Scott who plays Scrooge played the ship captain in Spider-Man(the one who shouts "WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT)

Susannah York who plays Mrs Cratchett played Lara Kal-El's mom in Superman and the theatrical Superman II

Michael Gough who plays a businessman of Scrooge's played Alfred in the 90's Batman movies

David Warner who plays Bob Cratchett plays the voice of Ra's Al Ghoul in the DCAU.

Harley's Holiday,CAPT VRELLAND: Gotcha Now, BULLOCK: You screwy liitle, FOXXY: Trouble-making clown, This is one of the best episodes featuring Harley Quinn. This episode, since it does features Harley it comes off as very cartoony at times, but funny as hell. We got a scene where she's walking with her Hyena pets and the reaction from everyone is priceless. Also the admittance from Bruce that Alfred dresses him is funny, but a bit weird too. Why again, is Bruce hanging out with Veronica Vreeland, this is another episode featuring a rogue trying to stay legit and she happens to be around when they crack. Harvey Bullock in this episode is just hilarious, it's got to be his worse day on a beat and his responses are funny. Just a classic, that really shows you that even at the end of its first series it was still going strong. Definately an 8 out of 10

Lock Up, actually this episode is pretty decent. Several readers must of thought at one point, why does Batman keep allowing the criminals to go back to Arkham giving them a chance to escape and just cause more trouble. I love the opening, first it's the second episode in a row to feature The Scarecrow being bought back to Arkham by Batman and Robin. It's also funny to see that Arkham would allow the Venquilaquist to have Scarface(in a straight jacket)in the cell with him. I love the comment Robin gives Batman when he discovers that Lock Up is the guard at Arkham. The animation in certain scenes stands out well. I would have really enjoyed seeing this character again. 7 out of 10

Make Em Laugh, Naughty Bor, Mama Spank, lol this is episode is the last of the FOX B:TAS to feature The Joker and while its fun to watch, it isn't the best. I just find it kind of hard to believe that The Joker would care about a laugh off contest. He's unpredictable at times and maybe its possible. The thing I did like is that he took Mad Hatters mind control device in order to push his plan forward. 4 out of 10

Deep Freeze, you know sadly we didn't get many Mr Freeze episodes, but whenever we did, we always manage to enjoy them. This is the last appearance of Mr Freeze in this series, but not in this incarnation, he will be seen once more in the direct to video Batman and Robin; Subzero and than revamped for the WB Batman series and Batman Beyond. Here we see Mr Freeze at his most deperate(before Subzero, obviously) and at least for me, it's a very sad situation he's put in. Great continuity from the Heart of Steel episode, with this new villain having access to Rossum's old robot knowledge. Walker is one of the worse criminals, I'm dorry it's a cartoon, but this guy just makes me crazy, boy did he hit the center of Freeze's cold heart. Although, if Walker was to return he'd be a villain we'd see Mr Freeze face time and time again. 8 out of 10

Batgirl Returns, I have no idea why the Producer's waited to bring Batgirl back until the last episode, but here we are. It's not a bad episode, but if it was done sooner we might have gotten to see more of Batgirl in action, before she became part of the team. Perhaps this was to reintroduce Barbara to the fans for the Subzero movie. It was fun to see the rogues gallery in the dream sequence. Watching Batgirl and Robin argue is funny, considering that their alter-egos like each other, they argue like brother and sister. Another thing, how does Catwoman know where Batgirl will be? Does she know she's Barbara? If she doesn't she does the minute she picks up the note. I love the animation work in both the dream sequence and the sequence in the night club(with The Chemist). Well for the last episode, we get a score of 6 out of 10.

Well so far on episode Harley's Holiday and Make Em Laugh, thanks for the trivia you give on Deep Freeze. I knew I recognize Bat-Mite, but forgot what he was called.

Lock Up, the scene where Bolton is tripped by Bruce Wayne, at that moment he was going after the villains. I have to agree about the revolving door question. The smoke makes no sense, if someone is watching. I would have liked to see an episode with Bruce being blackmailed, because of that mistake.

Deep Freeze, I suspect that perhaps at one point Boyle and Walker were partners of some sort, not contracturly connected, but silent partners. Or maybe Mr Freeze came in later after working for Walker. I looked and I couldn't find another Mr Freeze episode. There really wasn't a reason for Freeze to leave Arkham, so they came up with this forced break out. In terms of how easy Walker was to defeat, I can see that happening. Walker is more sly than dangerous. He doesn't know how to really use the outfit yet and has no clue how to fight, his only crutch(other than his cane, lol)was Nora Fries and by that time Mr Freeze had her already. The end of the episode is quite sad, but put your mind in his and yes he is forever with her(at least at that time). Remember the scene where Mr Freeze makes that dark entrance on Batman and Robin is also part of the New Batman/Superman Adventures title.

Batgirl Returns, now while it is weird to not have Batman in this series finale, the Producers, Animators, etc Must have known that Subzero would be released soon and that features Batman. It was direct to video and it might have been scheduled originally as a three part episode(I believe this is what happened too), it was delayed several times to avoid comparisons with Batman & Robin, but in the end it was more successful.

Another great episode as usual.

One note I have is that you both thought that Mr. Freeze had more episodes than he did. He is only in the two episodes "Heart of Ice" and "Deep Freeze". The first time I went back and watched all the episodes again this really surprised me as Mr. Freeze was one of the characters I had remembered the most.