Netflix

JackFetch

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a three-at-a-time member for about three years now. Love it. I have them shipped to the office where I have a high-end computer, so I can rip/burn them while I work and drop them at the post office on my way home. It was an even better setup when we had a USPS drop box within walking distance - they'd come in and go out on the same day. Sadly, they eventually removed the drop box.

My only complaint is that I get a lot of scratched / unplayable discs. They do NOT check those things before they send them out. I got one last week that had been scribbled over with permanent marker!

Netflix is the balls. The best thing about them is the sheer range of what they have available; they have the most obscure crap that the video store down the street will NEVER have on its shelf, regardless of whether you go to a Blockbuster or that mom and pop place with all kinds of random weirdness every town has.

I'm currently on a three-at-a-time plan. I may go down to a two-at-a-time plan, though, 'cause I don't have as much movie-watching time as I used to.

I'm finding that I don't like their website much. It seems hard to find new stuff because it keeps giving me the same options based on what they think I'll like. I want to browse other people's lists, but it won't let me browse anything except the top ones and the ones it thinks I'll like. Plus the streaming doesn't work in Firefox, which is stupid.

• 1 year later...
Warner Bros. and Netflix on Wednesday announced a dramatic pact that will delay new releases reaching Netflix's online rental customers for 28 days, while boosting the number of Warners' catalog titles Netflix will be allowed to offer.

The deal is sure to have broad ripple effects in the home entertainment industry. But for now, the 28-day policy will apply only to Netflix.

As part of the agreement, Netflix will get its delayed rental titles on less expensive terms than previously. Warners -- which says it's instituting the changes to help protect revenue from disc sales -- estimates that the policy shift will end up being revenue-neutral for the studio.

"These new agreements build upon the strong relationship we have had with Netflix for nearly 10 years," Warner Home Video president Ron Sanders said. "The 28-day window allows us to continue making our most popular films available to Netflix subscribers while supporting our sell-through product."

Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos called the pact a "win-win" for both companies.

"We're able to help an important business partner meet its objectives while improving service levels for our members by acquiring substantially more units than in the past after a relatively short sell-through window," Sarandos said. " At the same time, we're able to extend the range of choices available to be streamed to our members."

Expect others to follow.

Warner Bros. and Netflix on Wednesday announced a dramatic pact that will delay new releases reaching Netflix's online rental customers for 28 days, while boosting the number of Warners' catalog titles Netflix will be allowed to offer.

The deal is sure to have broad ripple effects in the home entertainment industry. But for now, the 28-day policy will apply only to Netflix.

As part of the agreement, Netflix will get its delayed rental titles on less expensive terms than previously. Warners -- which says it's instituting the changes to help protect revenue from disc sales -- estimates that the policy shift will end up being revenue-neutral for the studio.

"These new agreements build upon the strong relationship we have had with Netflix for nearly 10 years," Warner Home Video president Ron Sanders said. "The 28-day window allows us to continue making our most popular films available to Netflix subscribers while supporting our sell-through product."

Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos called the pact a "win-win" for both companies.

"We're able to help an important business partner meet its objectives while improving service levels for our members by acquiring substantially more units than in the past after a relatively short sell-through window," Sarandos said. " At the same time, we're able to extend the range of choices available to be streamed to our members."

Expect others to follow.

I'm not following. Does this mean that in exchange for not getting new releases for a month after they've come out, I'm going to get more possible titles or am I getting no benefit out of this outside of still getting Warner titles in exchange for having to wait longer for the new ones?

Netflix is costing them money from dvd sales. Now they hope people will buy up the dvds because they can't rent them the first month it's out. Once again, we get screwed as consumers. This model has worked for decades under brick and mortar VHS and DVD rental places. What's the difference now?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Netflix and NBC Universal Announce Agreement to Stream Prior Season Cable and Broadcast TV Series New to Netflix Members

NEW YORK and BEVERLY HILLS, Calif., Sept. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) and NBC Universal Domestic Television Distribution today announced an expanded license agreement through which Netflix members can instantly watch a selection of broadcast series from the NBC television network and – for the first time on Netflix – content from some of NBC Universal's popular cable channels.

The multi-year deal kicks off next week and continues the relationship between Netflix and NBC Universal.

The agreement adds significantly to the growing selection of movies and TV episodes that can be streamed instantly from Netflix with memberships starting at $8.99 a month. Among the highlights, Netflix members will be able to instantly watch:

• Episodes from every season of NBC's signature comedy franchise "Saturday Night Live," including day-after broadcast of the upcoming 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons plus hundreds of episodes from the first 35 years of "SNL."
  • Every episode from the last season of the multiple Emmy® Award-winning series "30 Rock," "The Office" and "Law & Order: SVU," as well as earlier seasons of those shows renewed for streaming from Netflix under the current deal.
  • All prior seasons – and eventually next year's final season – of "Friday Night Lights," the small-town drama surrounding high-school football in Dillon, Tex.
  • All prior seasons of USA Network hits "Psych," the comedy featuring James Roday as a fake psychic who solves crimes with his best friend, Dule Hill; the drama "In Plain Sight," starring Mary McCormack as a U.S. Marshal in New Mexico; as well as all seasons of "Monk," starring Emmy® Award and Golden Globe® Award winner Tony Shalhoub in the title role. Prior seasons of all three shows are available to watch instantly at Netflix for the first time.
  • More than 75 prior season episodes of Syfy's mainstay "Battlestar Galactica," as well as prior seasons of the network's popular series' "Destination Truth" and "Eureka" – all streaming from Netflix for the first time.

"We are very pleased to continue our successful relationship with Netflix," said Frances Manfredi, executive vice president and general sales manager of cable and non-theatrical sales for NBC Universal Domestic TV Distribution, who forged the deal. "We applaud Netflix for recognizing the value of content like 'SNL,' 'Friday Night Lights,' 'Monk,' and 'Battlestar Galactica' to their subscribers."

"This agreement adds meaningfully to the wide variety of content that can be streamed from Netflix and breaks new ground in our relationship with NBC Universal," said Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix.

Source

Well, this saves me from having to dish out money on the Battlestar Complete Series Blu-Ray for awhile. I'm more excited that I finally get to catch up on Psych and watch some of the SNL sketches that I seriously cannot find on the internet.

• 2 months later...
McStreamy: Netflix, Disney Announce Deal to Stream ABC Shows

By Dylan Stableford

Published: December 08, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Netflix and Disney have announced a new licensing agreement that will allow Netflix members to stream hundreds of old episodes from the ABC Television Network, Disney Channel and -- for the first time -- ABC Family.

The agreement, brokered by Disney-ABC Domestic Television, was announced by the two companies on Wednesday.

Prior season episodes of current ABC series "Grey's Anatomy," "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers & Sisters" will be available instantly, as well as every episode of "Lost" and "Ugly Betty.”

However, Disney will make current shows from the Disney Channel and ABC Family available to Netflix “no earlier than 15 days after initial telecast.” After that, they can be streamed instantly by Netflix’s 16 million members.

That window is probably aimed to appease Hulu, which is backed by News Corp., NBC Universal and Disney. (Although, it is weird that Disney would sign off on a deal that gives a chunk of content to a would-be competitor to Hulu's premium service.)

Disney Channel and ABC Family shows, including "Melissa & Joey,” will make their Netflix streaming debuts, too.

Additionally, Disney Channel and ABC Family movies like "High School Musical," "High School Musical 2” will also be available to stream via at Netflix.

Themove is well-timed for Netflix, which just announced on Tuesday that chief financial officer Barry McCarthy is leaving the company. And, as CNET notes, the company has been battling chatter in recent days that the "flow of content to Netflix would begin to slow soon."

Source.

• 2 months later...
CBS and Netflix Announce Two-Year Licensing Agreement For Library Content

NEW YORK and BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – February 22, 2011 — CBS Corporation [NYSE: CBS.A and CBS] and Netflix, Inc. [Nasdaq: NFLX] today announced a two-year, non-exclusive licensing agreement that will allow select TV shows from CBS's library, including episodes of "Medium" and "Flashpoint" as well as full seasons of classics such as "Frasier," and "Cheers," to be streamed instantly from Netflix. CBS retains an option to extend the agreement for up to two additional years. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Beginning in early April, dozens of hit shows from CBS will join the extensive library of television shows and movies available to watch instantly from Netflix for only $7.99 a month.

Content covered under the new deal includes the long-running drama, "Medium" and the summer season favorite, "Flashpoint." Also covered under the agreement are episodes from some of television's most iconic franchises. Full seasons of sitcom greats "Frasier," "Family Ties" and "Cheers" will be streaming instantly from Netflix. Episodes from the original "Hawaii Five-0" are included in the package, as are episodes from all generations of the definitive sci-fi series, "Star Trek," and the cult favorite, "Twin Peaks." Installments of '60s classics, "The Twilight Zone" and "The Andy Griffith Show," will be available as well.

"This deal recognizes the increasing value of our content in today's marketplace," said Scott Koondel, President of Distribution, CBS Television Distribution. "More and more, people want to be able to access our programming on a wide variety of platforms. We are very pleased that the titles offered through this deal will now also be made available to a whole new community through the terrific and convenient service that Netflix offers. We will continue to pursue additional non-exclusive distribution partners that are additive to our overall business."

"We are thrilled to be bringing CBS shows to Netflix and are looking forward to growing our relationship over time," said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer for Netflix. "Netflix is now the only online premium subscription service with shows featured on all four broadcast networks and dozens of cable TV's biggest brands."

Source