Austin Powers 4

JackFetch

In the big picture, this news shouldn't surprise anyone...a fourth AUSTIN POWERS movie was inevitable.

However, we'd always heard this project was a ways off...that ideas were being generated as far back as the filming of GOLDMEMBER...but...movie #4 didn't seem to be on the fast track, or even on anyone's radar.

Maybe it was.

At one point we'd heard an AUSTIN POWERS 4 might be a prequel of sorts. Other indications suggested the movie would center heavily on Dr. Evil & his gang of wannabe super-villains, with the Austin Powers character dodging is as their foil rather than being the focus of the film.

Don't know what direction the project ultimately headed, but here's a report saying that a script is done...and that Mike Meyers and director Jay Roach are already looking for their Powers Babe. One contender is Gisele Bundchen.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36392

Personally I think they should wait about another decade before making another one. An older Austin would be funnier, and the nostalgia factor would be there. This just looks like going back to the well.

I had heard a rumor years ago that George W. Bush (or a facsimile) would be the villain in the fourth movie and that Austin Powers and Dr. Evil would team up to take him down or something. :unsure:

While that is funny in theory, in reality it wouldn't work. Just look at the Bush in Harold and Kumar. Plus the whole GOP would throw a fit and all that.

Goldmember was an utter bore, the jokes in the film were laughable the first time(except for "Mole" scene). The plot was mediocre. Just because your a spoof doesn't mean you can't have a plot that works. Watch Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad and Airplane, that is how you execute a spoof or somedy.

The Austin Power films are films that will help you get through a couple of hours, but that's it.

• 1 month later...
At one point we'd heard an AUSTIN POWERS 4 might be a prequel of sorts. Other indications suggested the movie would center heavily on Dr. Evil & his gang of wannabe super-villains, with the Austin Powers character dodging is as their foil rather than being the focus of the film.

That would be cool. Dr. Evil really stole the show in all 3 movies. He's by far my favorite character. I find Austin Powers to be boring.

Toss me a frickin' bone here!

Goldmember was OK and had a funny line or two. Fat Bastard was marginally better. But Dr. Evil was great.

• 2 months later...
Mike Myers has been developing a fourth "Austin Powers" movie for quite a while now. In May of 2007, he said:

"We're developing a fourth , entirely from Dr. Evil's point of view. That is part of what I've been doing in the last little while."

Now, Deadline Hollywood Daily has a few more details on which direction Myers is going:

I'm told that Mike Myers has started writing Austin Powers 4 which will be a homage to his father. "It's very personal with a father and son theme loosely based on his own life," an insider tells me. As Myers has previously said, this fourth installment of the super spy spoof movie series will focus on Austin's arch-villain Dr. Evil, who was based on Blofeld of the Bond films. But what hasn't been known is that the AP4 plot is really about Dr. Evil and his son (introduced already as Scott Evil, played by Seth Green).

The site adds that Myers is co-writing again with Michael McCullers, who collaborated with Myers on the second and third installments.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=47464

2 things:

1. Now we know why Love Guru was just Austin Powers rehashed. He was too busy writing AP 4 to write anything new for it.

2. Every time he comes out with a new movie, he says it is a tribute to his father. The Austin Powers character came about from watching spy movies with his dad, who was British.

The script will most likely consist of Dr. Evil's attempts to reach the good in his son Scott that was there in the 1st and 2nd films. After all Scott tried to be a good son and be accepted, but was pushed aside for a bad news clone in Mini-Me. In part 3, Scott's mental break happened and became worse when Dr. Evil decided to become good. Now Austin and Dr. Evil have to try to get through to him or lose him forever.