The 3rd Annual Earth-2.net Mainpage Awards

James D.

THE 3RD ANNUAL EARTH-2.NET MAINPAGE AWARDS

Yes, it is December now, and that means it's time to start prepping for the Earth-2.net Mainpage Awards! For those of you who have joined us this year, what we do is we honor the hard work of the mainpage writers and podcasters by voting on our favorite written works, media, and podcasts from the past calendar year. Also, we give out an "MVP" award to the Contributor of the Year. (In 2006, Michael Sims won it. Last year, Desmond Reddick won it.) Everything that has been posted on the mainpage from January 1st, 2008 through December 31st, 2008 is/will be eligible to be voted on in the awards; and anyone who contributed even one work to the mainpage is eligible for Contributor of the Year. The actual voting will not start until January 1st, 2009. Mike has been keeping track of ALL of it this year, so we won't have any of the minor problems we had last year. He will post all the eligible entries at some point.

Here are all of the awards to be given out (and by no means is this list set in stone or complete):

--Contributor of the Year

WRITTEN:

--Best Movie / TV Review

--Best Comic Book Review (NOTE: This means INDIVIDUAL comic book review. For example, if you thought that one of the reviews done within an IIWY? column was the best, then you would vote for IT and not that entire edition of IIWY?)

--Best Video Game Review

--Best Anime / Manga Review

--Best Feature Article

--Best Column

--Best New Written Series (i.e., "new" means it debuted on Earth-2.net in the 2008 calendar year)

--Most Frustrated Review, a.k.a., the "Tim Glancy Award" (comic book reviews only)

VISUAL MEDIA:

--Best Wallpaper

--Best Music Video

PODCASTS:

--Podcast of the Year

--Best New Podcast

--Best Podcast Segment (on any podcast)

--Best Episode of Animezing Podcast

--Best Episode of Dread Media

--Best Episode of Earth-2.net: The Show

--Best Episode of For Your Ears Only

--Best Episode of World's Finest Podcast

--Best "Is it Wednesday Yet?" Review

--Best Moment of Animezing Podcast

--Best Moment of Dread Media

--Best Moment of Earth-2.net: The Show

--Best Moment of For Your Ears Only

--Best Moment of World's Finest Podcast

As Earth-2.net veterans will note, there are a ton of new awards. But that means we're growing, and that is, of course, a good thing. The "Best Moments" awards are just what you thought were the funniest or most memorable single moment during each podcast (for example, "Barbara cares deeply for Dick", and "Big Mo'"). Here are the rules:

--Voting begins Thursday, January 1st, 2009 and ends Sunday, January 25th, 2009. That's almost four weeks for you to vote, so you can't say you didn't have enough time to. I will NOT accept any late votes, nor will I accept any early votes. Any vote sent in before January 1st or after January 25th will be discarded.

--All votes will be sent to a special e-mail address that Mike will post here. I will provide a ballot form once we get the exact number of awards set in stone.

--ANYTHING posted on the mainpage from January 1st, 2008 until December 31st, 2008 is eligible for voting.

--PLEASE vote correctly. By this I mean, make sure the things you are voting for are put in the right category and you are properly voting within each category. For example, if you put a vote for a video game review in the Best Comic Book Review category, then I will have to automatically disqualify that particular vote.

--You DO NOT have to vote on every category. While it would be great if you did, it wouldn't be logical for me to require you to vote for every award. You can, of course, vote on every one if you want to, though. The more votes, the better.

--Mainpage contributors: You CANNOT vote for any mainpage contribution that you composed BY YOURSELF. That means that I couldn't vote for Eternal Sonata for Video Game Review of the Year since I wrote it. HOWEVER, there are exceptions to this rule. If you wrote a review with someone else, then you can vote for it (i.e., Saw V) if you are so inclined. Also, if you were the ONLY contributor to a certain category (i.e., Michael Sims and the wallpapers or me in music videos) then you can vote within that category. Please note that this rule does not apply to podcasts. (For example, if Kellen wanted to vote for Animezing Podcast as Podcast of the Year, he could.)

***ALL WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON A FEBRUARY 2009 EDITION OF EARTH-2.NET: THE SHOW***

If there are any more rules I forgot to mention, I will edit them into this post as I think of them.

I really have high hopes for this year since we have so many new, for lack of a better word, faces around here. I think we can blow last year's "voter turnout" out of the water this year. It would be nice if that happened since we posted more stuff on the mainpage this year than ever before. What I suggest everyone do is download the Earth-2.net toolbar so you can more easily go back through past podcast episodes to pick out your favorite(s). Also, go back and read old reviews so you can better acquaint yourself with all the eligible material. Of course, we still have a month to go, and everything posted in December will be eligible, too. So keep that in mind, as well.

Thank you all in advance. This is my baby and I always try to make sure it is successful, and thus far I think we've done a good job recognizing the hard work of all the mainpagers. There is always room for improvement, though. If you have ANY questions or suggestions, please post them here and I will answer them. And if you have other award suggestions, then by all means, post them here and I'll take them into consideration. After all, voting doesn't start for a month and I haven't made up the ballot forms yet, so don't be shy.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as the year is over, I'll post the full list of everything that hit the site in 2008.

Also, James, two suggestions:

01. We don't name a "best episode" of Bigger on the Inside, because only three episodes will run before the year closes out. It just seems, I don't know, odd to me to name a best of so early on.

02. I propose a new award, which will be called either The Omega: The Unknown Award or The Tim Glancy Award, and it will be given to the most frustrated comic book review to grace the site.

Also, go back and read old reviews so you can better acquaint yourself with all the eligible material.

Just so everyone is aware, when I post the full list, it will contain links to the reviews and articles. This way you'll have direct access to them.

Also, go back and read old reviews so you can better acquaint yourself with all the eligible material.

Just so everyone is aware, when I post the full list, it will contain links to the reviews and articles. This way you'll have direct access to them.

Woohoo! This would be a bit too much work if it wasn't for that list.

Contributor of the year is going to really difficult this year. There are at least half a dozen people in the running this time around.

I fully intend on defending my column of the year award. I just need to get this monstrosity finished in time for the cut off date.

Also, is it going to be the same as last year, where we list our top 3 for each, or are we just voting for one in each this year?

Coincidentally, I have more time for Comic Reel-lief contributions this month.... :ph34r:

EDIT: Could we change Best New Podcast Segment to Best Podcast Segment? Off the top of my head, the only new Podcast Segs are Waiting for the Trades and Brainscan, whereas all segs would fill the category out to three. That and I don't know how a Comic Reel-lief seg would get recognition on the off-chance that people would vote for my hyper-English reviews.

I really feel The Tim Glancy Award should be for comic book reviews only.

Done.

Could we change Best New Podcast Segment to Best Podcast Segment? Off the top of my head, the only new Podcast Segs are Waiting for the Trades and Brainscan, whereas all segs would fill the category out to three.

And done.

So for Is It Wednesday Yet? and Waiting For the Trade, we count those as segments, and not episodes? Or both?

They count as segments, but if a particular one was your favorite E2: The Show episode, then you can vote for it there, as well. It's kind of wonky, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Any moment is eligible, technically. Though I imagine Mike's headbanging will be a frontrunner for the award.

I would hope that it would be a fronterrunner especially since mike's put tons of blood sweat and tears and head banging into the site and the podcasts.

that's not to say everyone else on the site has worked less..... :D