The Crow (remake)

annericelover

They've already remade the Crow three times. They were just called sequels.

I'm not even mad. Let Hollywood make another bomb. The original still exists, that's all that matters.

I agree that the original still excists, but the idea that they are wasting there time, resources and money on a film that will most likely bomb is a little upsetting.

Oh and this will have Eric Draven as a character again, so its more of a remake than the sequels were.

Just give me my big-budget Highlander remake, thats all I'm asking for.

No not Highlander, please the original film worked because of how gritty and low cost it looked. They want to do the same with Toxic Avenger and Evil Dead. Those films all worked well as a low budget, why? Because they concentrated on story, instead of visual effects or CGI or any of that shit.

Besides can you really see anyone else playing Connor McLoud? You also had Clancy Brown(Lex Luthor in the DCAU)as a great bad guy and Sean Connery, for such a low budgeted film you had all that talent + Queen music filling up the soundtrack. Not too mention the underrated sequel, brought back Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and added Virginia Madsen(Candyman)and Michael Ironside(Darkseid in the DCAU). I haven't even seen parts 3-5, even though they do have Lambert in them, he's a background character.

Just give me my big-budget Highlander remake, thats all I'm asking for.

No not Highlander, please the original film worked because of how gritty and low cost it looked. They want to do the same with Toxic Avenger and Evil Dead. Those films all worked well as a low budget, why? Because they concentrated on story, instead of visual effects or CGI or any of that shit.

Besides can you really see anyone else playing Connor McLoud? You also had Clancy Brown(Lex Luthor in the DCAU)as a great bad guy and Sean Connery, for such a low budgeted film you had all that talent + Queen music filling up the soundtrack. Not too mention the underrated sequel, brought back Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery and added Virginia Madsen(Candyman)and Michael Ironside(Darkseid in the DCAU). I haven't even seen parts 3-5, even though they do have Lambert in them, he's a background character.

Dude, I've watched EVERY Highlander movie and I'll happily tell you that only the first one is worth a damn. 2 might work well if you don't think about it but its the root of the bastardisation of the Highlander Mythology.

A modern retelling would be awesome, not least because modern sword-fighting is cinematically superior. It could be rebooted with an eye towards creating a franchise rather than the messed up rubbish 2 had to spout to make sense of the fact that the original was totally self contained.

Joking aside with pointless reboots, I've just read the article in question on SuperheroHype and it's quite simply a terrible business idea. As has been said, I have the 1994 version and were I not the site's CBM correspondant, there isn't any real onus on me to watch it. But this section of the article really doesn't inspire:

For Norrington, The Crow deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with Blade, Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a feature film since.

"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington said.

Joking aside with pointless reboots, I've just read the article in question on SuperheroHype and it's quite simply a terrible business idea. As has been said, I have the 1994 version and were I not the site's CBM correspondant, there isn't any real onus on me to watch it. But this section of the article really doesn't inspire:

For Norrington, The Crow deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with Blade, Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a feature film since.

"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington said.

I'm not against this. I love the original Crow but a fresh take on it offers new potential. The Dawn of the Dead remake never stopped me enjoying the original.

I'm going to give Norrington a break just because LXG was never going to be any good for reasons that were not entirely within his control. Blade on the other hand is a superb comic-book film, its the one that started the modern trend. Watch that opening blood-bath scene and tell me this isn't the guy you want wokring on the modern Crow.

I think my point is that I'm not after a fresh take of The Crow. I could get behind a fresh take of, say, The Mask because the source material is pretty dark but the film was a(n awesome) comedy film, so I'd be interested in seeing how it could be played as a darker film. It might be the word "realistic" I'm getting hung up upon with regards to a remake of The Crow.

Ha ha ha ha ha

"documentary style" WTF is that even supposed to mean? Does that mean more shaky cameras than usual?

I could see a bunch of exec's sitting in a room thinking this up too.

Seriously, I love the Nolan Batman movies as much as the next person but to me the worst aspect of them is the "realistic angle", I think it seriously robs them creatively of doing some really cool things with the visuals, and characters that they can't if everything has to be real world all the time. I wish they would understand that "realism" should come from the characters and not if a gadget could really exist in real life. Unfourtanetly it looks like the studios and the filmmakers are learning all the wrong lessons from those films just like comic creators learned all the wrong lessons from DKR and Watchmen.

Seriously, I love the Nolan Batman movies as much as the next person but to me the worst aspect of them is the "realistic angle", I think it seriously robs them creatively of doing some really cool things with the visuals, and characters that they can't if everything has to be real world all the time. I wish they would understand that "realism" should come from the characters and not if a gadget could really exist in real life. Unfourtanetly it looks like the studios and the filmmakers are learning all the wrong lessons from those films just like comic creators learned all the wrong lessons from DKR and Watchmen.

See, Batman's universe is one of the few that actually lends itself to realism and I don't think, thus far, it has harmed the Nolan interpretation in any way. Alright, they can't do Clayface - big deal. The Crow, on the other hand, deals with someone who supposedly avenges his murder from beyond the grave, so I struggle to think of how realistic you could be with that.

See, Batman's universe is one of the few that actually lends itself to realism and I don't think, thus far, it has harmed the Nolan interpretation in any way. Alright, they can't do Clayface - big deal. The Crow, on the other hand, deals with someone who supposedly avenges his murder from beyond the grave, so I struggle to think of how realistic you could be with that.

They could do the angle in which the Crow isn't really a dead guy, but someone so drugged out that he doesn't feel pain, sort of how the comic did it.

Granted, they won't do that, but it's an option.

How scary and different is it to see a zombie killing people who avenged him when he was alive.

Meh, it's been done so many times it's lost it's impact.

But seeing some lunatic who is so high on morphine he thinks he's invincible and through some blown fuses in his brain cannot feel pain is a lot scarier as it could actually happen.

I mean, it would scare me seeing a guy who had lost all of his ability to think straight and only vengence rather than a zombie avenging his death as when the zombies avenged, that should be it. But what is written saying the crazy guy will stop when he is avenged.

They could do the angle in which the Crow isn't really a dead guy, but someone so drugged out that he doesn't feel pain, sort of how the comic did it.

Granted, they won't do that, but it's an option.

That's the only reason why I added in the word "supposedly" - I really liked that theory when I first heard Mike voice it on Episode #200. But I agree with you in that it's unlikely, and with suavestar in that The Crow's been done so many times that if they don't play it that way then a remake's pretty redundant.

Right I'm getting off my soapbox on this.

• 2 years later...
Relativity has just announced that Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later) has signed on to direct the reboot of James O'Barr's The Crow with a production start eyed for this fall.

According to the press release, Fresnadillo will collaborate with a writer on the screenplay, that name expected to be announced shortly. What's more, the reboot is confirmed to focus on the character of Eric Draven (infamously played in the 1994 film by Brandon Lee, who was killed on-set).

“Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is an incredibly talented and imaginative filmmaker,” says Executive Producer Tucker Tooley, "We are thrilled to have him at the helm and are excited to work with both Pressman and Apaches on what we all believe will be a compelling and innovative reimagining of The Crow.”

"The original Crow was groundbreaking cinema," adds producer Edward R. Pressman, "Its gothic visual and musical ideas influenced a generation and cinema itself. With Juan Carlos, we have every confidence that his new Crow will have a similar impact on the contemporary audience."

Along with Pressman, the film will be produced by Jeff Most, Relativity’s CEO Ryan Kavanaugh, and Apaches’ Enrique López Lavigne and Belén Atienza. José Ibáñez, Pressman Film Corporation’s Jon Katz, and Apaches’ Jesús de la Vega will serve as co-producers.

Originally a 1989 comic book miniseries by O'Barr, "The Crow" spawned a number of graphic sequels, four feature films and a television series. The reboot, planned since last year, was, at one point, going to be directed by Stephen Norrington. He departed the project last October.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/164605-juan-carlos-fresnadillo-to-direct-the-crow

I love how it says the sequel with Norrington directing has been planned since last year and we were talking about it in 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

The lawyers have stepped in to screw it up.

Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media has responded to the lawsuit filed Wednesday by Weinstein Co. lawyer Bert Fields over distribution rights to the remake of The Crow. Here's the statement:

This is yet another typical litigation stunt from the Weinsteins, who have a long history of threatening lawsuits with the sole purpose of intimidation. If served, Relativity will seek immediate dismissal. While we expect these types of antics from the Weinsteins, we are shocked that a lawyer of Mr. Fields' caliber would make such false, reckless and intentionally harmful statements to the press about Relativity and Mr. Kavanaugh. We intend to seek appropriate remedies for this misconduct. Clearly, this is a feeble attempt to create a press stir and a malicious effort to interfere with Relativity's development of the project.

As we reported earlier, the Weinsteins claim they have a signed deal granting TWC distribution rights to The Crow but that Kavanaugh has been shopping the rights without permission. The lawsuit seeks an injunction to stop the sale of rights.

Looks like Relativity will fight this one. We hear the studio has hired Carol Genis of K&L Gates to represent it in the matter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/relativity-fires-back-at-weinsteins-180743?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thr%2Ffilm+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Movies%29

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...