Episode 339

RSS

The moment the announcement was made that Disney had purchased Marvel, fearful questions spread across the Internet. Will Disney tone down the language and violence in the comic books? What will happen to the MAX line? How soon will Spider-Man shake Mickey Mouse's hand in Amazing Spider-Man? Well, Des and Mike are here to calm your nerves as they speculate on the future of Marvel now that the Mouse runs the House of Ideas. [ 51:47 || 23.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_339.mp3

:bowdown:

So, yeah, thank you for reiterating that nothing's going to happen to the comics (if they own Miramax and can put out Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs, I don't think we have to get worried).

I like the idea of Disney comics done by Marvel (except for Hannah Montana, which I hate on principle, but that's more a personal thing). You also have a really good point on tying in the properties to get younger readers interested.

They're not doing that already? :P

I will say this: KH could cross with some of the more mystical aspects of the Marvel U. The closest they've ever gotten to a live-action/modern setting was Pirates in the second game, but that was crazy popular at the time.

...Also, Sora spider-swinging through Manhattan would be the most frustrating minigame ever. xD

I haven't heard the show yet.

I am already sick and tired of people going on about "This is the death of Marvel!" and "Just you wait, Spider-Man will be swinging with Mickey Mouse!"

I mean jesus, Disney bought Marvel to add to their portfolio as Marvel is doing good with the movies, and the comics bring a good steady income.

DIsney bought them to make money, not to just destroy the business cause they could, Disney want to make money.

Flash fact.

And Disney will now have easy access to the best writers and artists that Marvel has to offer for their own characters.

Also, KH is so awesome already, I really don't want Marvel characters, I think it's fine with just Square and Disney meeting up.

I really want to get a PS2 and play the KH games again now.

Edit: Mike, the banner is awesome. The only way it could be awesomer is if you used the Mickey from South Park.

Edit: Mike, the banner is awesome. The only way it could be awesomer is if you used the Mickey from South Park.

"See Spider-Man, we need you to wear the purity ring so that when Mary Jane is reaching for your junk while you're webslinging, we can sell sex to little girls and not upset the Christians. Ha ha!"

Seriously, a Kingdom Hearts game with Marvel characters would be balls-to-the-wall awesome. Can you imagine having a Summon Character of Deadpool? You summon him, and he either obliterates all of your enemies for you in 5 seconds and makes a quip; or he comes out, makes a quip, and punches Sora, Donald, or Goofy in the face and disappears.

"See Spider-Man, we need you to wear the purity ring so that when Mary Jane is reaching for your junk while you're webslinging, we can sell sex to little girls and not upset the Christians. Ha ha!"

See Spidey haha, you will swing along, haha, and all the little girls ginys will tingle, haha, then they'll buy DVD's of Spider-Man. Haha.

Seriously, a Kingdom Hearts game with Marvel characters would be balls-to-the-wall awesome. Can you imagine having a Summon Character of Deadpool? You summon him, and he either obliterates all of your enemies for you in 5 seconds and makes a quip; or he comes out, makes a quip, and punches Sora, Donald, or Goofy in the face and disappears.

See, that I can see happening more with the Marvel properties in KH, rather than a full-blown world. Or they just make random cameos, like the FF characters.

Re: Comics - Boom! apparently has the rights to the classic characters, so we probably won't be seeing a Marvel Micky Mouse Comic for the moment.

Tony Bedard had an interesting observation over at Newsarama; With the Mouse's deep pockets Marvel could start taking more risks with their comics line:

With Time/Warner's deep pockets to back it up, DC can develop and nurture lower-selling titles like "R.E.B.E.L.S." or "Jonah Hex", whereas Marvel has had to watch their bottom line and cut titles a bit more ruthlessly. Perhaps Marvel will now be able to give more projects a fighting chance to find and grow their audience. I'm cautiously optimistic about this."

TV: I'm not sure I understand the point you were trying to make about live action TV. You mentioned Smallville as an example of a DC show but for some reason thought a Marvel show would have trouble because they don't have a mainstream cable channel?

But Smallville became a hit on a network that was even smaller than Disney owned ABC. IIRC The Mouse also owns ABC Studios, which produces successful shows like Lost and Desperate Housewives. If anything I'd say Marvel's in a better position than DC when it comes to live action TV.

As a side note, according the Greg Weisman of Gargoyles and Spectacular Spider-man fame, Disney wanted to buy Marvel in the nineties but the company and it's film rights were such a mess that they decided to start from scratch with the Gargoyles universe. The rationale was that Disney needed a property to appeal to teenaged boys. If that demographic is the reason for this acquisition, then the speculation that this deal will lead to more teen girl friendly comics may be premature.

TV: I'm not sure I understand the point you were trying to make about live action TV. You mentioned Smallville as an example of a DC show but for some reason thought a Marvel show would have trouble because they don't have a mainstream cable channel?

Which is why i redacted when it was brought up that ABC is owned by Disney. Sorry for the snafu but if I researched everything Disney owned before recording, then this wouldn't have been recorded yet.

It was redacted though.