Episode 01

RSS

In this inaugural episode of Married to Movies, Desmond and Megan review 2008's estrogen-laced ensemble piece The Women. What the hell happened to Annette Bening? Can Meg Ryan still act if she can't change her facial expressions? Can Eva Mendes in lingerie not be sexy? And where did all the men go? All these questions and more are answered inside. Join us in unholy movie matrimony. [ 28:24 || 13.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/marriedtomovies/episodes/marriedtomovies_001.mp3

I said "Awesome" out loud when I heard that Robocop was getting reviewed on the next episode! Thankfully, I was at my computer at home so potential embarrassment was avoided. Given that the motion picture industry caters far more to a young, male audience than a female demographic, The Women sounds like an even better letdown. Most films aimed specifically at women fail because they're written or produced by men, so you wonder what the writer/producer/director was thinking. Nice outtake too!

Whenabouts might it hit iTunes?

I've seen The Women already a few years ago so you have my sympathies, Dread. It is sad how Annette Benning has fallen in he past few years. She was one of the best parts of American Beauty and then she does stuff like this anyway.

This episode already has a bunch of moments I'm keeping in mind to vote for in next year's main page awards. The "Desmond's Mistress" conversation alone had me cracking up.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Thanks Will.

And yes, the site is not connected to the wordpress site yet because the wordpress site is empty right now.

I hope to get it up in the next week.

oh ok cool... really looking forward to this podcast... You both do an excellent job.

Thanks Will.

And yes, the site is not connected to the wordpress site yet because the wordpress site is empty right now.

I hope to get it up in the next week.

Also, is it just me or is Annette Bening so photoshopped on that poster that she looks like Vanessa Williams?

TheWomen_Poster.jpg

vanessa-2.jpg

It is not "just you."

Having never seen the movie, and only seen the poster, I indeed thought Vanessa Williams was in this flick.

Notes as I listen (and read submissions...and talk to Mike):

- "Men don't pee, they piss." Does this change if a man is going sitting down?

- I too am a fan of Murphy Brown. Kudos, Megan. Also, I appreciate a lady who can still use "retarded" as a pejorative.

- Be nice to your wife. It's a good thing she doesn't look like Meg Ryan (as she is now).

- Caricatures! Dykes! Sluts! Woman scorned! What would storytelling be without easy outs?

- "I hate the T-word, I hate that." Awww, Megan is so impossibly sweet. Nice that the site has a new lady podcaster that is not as crass as yours truly.

- You have one "loyal fan," Megan. There is one (at least)!

- It seems like the "redemption" of the men at the end leaves the take-away message that men are only worthwhile when they are of direct use to a woman: support during a birth, sex, being an untouched canvas to mold at your will as a baby. Boo.

- I like the ending music idea. I may steal it. MAP needs more music.

Fantastic first effort. I will certainly keep listening.

Good stuff! Don't worry about reviewing bad movies Megan. They can make for great episodes, just look at E2's Batman and Robin reviews.

Is it the headphones I have on at work or is the audio bad?

It may be the headphones. Quality sounded great to me.

I've seen the 1939 version but I don't recall it being a musical. There was an extended colour fashion show sequence though.

According to Wiki the play and the '39 adaptaion were both written by women.

Looking forward to Robocop!

this podcast might very well be the #2 podcast I listen to from now on... only WFP has #1 :D

Thanks dude.. and to all the other fine listeners.. we appreciate the comments and feedback. Especially from you, Nicolette!

PS: This is my first post on the forums! I may turn geeky yet! bahaha!