Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so yeah watched the second episode of new girl this week... they took out the character i liked, none of the men have any depth whatsoever, zoe deshanell does not fit the dorky kinda girl that is writen for her but she is still major kind's of sexy. weighing all those things the good with the bad, will i still be watching this? yes cause of zoe

also i love how i met your mother

Holy crap, guys. Star Trek TNG is getting completely remastered for 1080p HD on blu-ray.

You've heard the rumors, and now StarTrek.com can officially confirm it: Star Trek: The Next Generation will be released in high-definition Blu-ray, starting in January with a sampler of several popular episodes, followed by a season-one set to be released later on in 2012, and subsequent seasons beaming down after that. Each of the 178 episodes spanning The Next Generation's seven seasons will be transferred to true high-definition 1080p for release in the Blu-ray format and, eventually, for runs on television and digital platforms in the U.S. and across the world. Star Trek: The Next Generation will, as fans know, be celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2012.

“Fans have been clamoring for a high-definition release of Star Trek: The Next Generation," Ken Ross, Executive Vice President and General Manager of CBS Entertainment, said in a statement. “Transferring the series to high-definition presented difficult technical challenges, but our team has come up with a process to create true 1080p HD masters with true HD visual effects. We can’t wait to show fans how pristine the series looks and sounds with our upcoming Blu-ray releases.”

CBS is, in fact, returning to the original film negatives, a mother lode of material encompassing 25,000-plus reels of footage, and editing the episodes together precisely as they were when they originally aired between 1987 and 1994. Visual effects will not be upconverted from videotape, but instead will be recompositioned. The freshly cut film will ultimately be transferred to high definition with 7.1 DTS Master Audio. And all of the work is being done in conjunction with respected, longtime Star Trek figures Denise and Michael Okuda, who are on board as consultants.

Hope we'll get Rick Berman saying "You seen, in the background of this shot I always wanted to have dozens of Ferengi, but we never had the money. Now thanks to digital technology we can go back and improve on those mistakes, make it what we always wanted it to be. And digitally insert the sounds Riker saying NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when Tasha Yar bites the dust".

It really does seem like they're actually putting a ton of effort into this, which is both surprising and really great.

One thing that that release doesn't mention is the fact that TNG was shot with widescreen film and cropped to 4:3. If they're going back to that original film, it's possible, however unlikely, that they might be able to reconstruct full widescreen episodes, possibly with digital trickery. Most definitely wouldn't work for all of the episodes, but maybe a few here or there.

Hope we'll get Rick Berman saying "You seen, in the background of this shot I always wanted to have dozens of Ferengi, but we never had the money. Now thanks to digital technology we can go back and improve on those mistakes, make it what we always wanted it to be. And digitally insert the sounds Riker saying NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when Tasha Yar bites the dust".

And more Muppets. We can't have enough Muppets.

Nah, they'd just replace all the muppets with CGI. You see in the original Sesame Street Elmo was supposed to be a 50ft tall dragon that breathed fire, but they didn't have the budget so they had to make do with things like felt and emotions instead. Thankfully the new Sesame Street on Blu Ray has fully realised Jim Henson's vision, and Elmo is at last how he always wanted him to be, crushing shops and cooking Oscar alive in his can.

Nah, they'd just replace all the muppets with CGI. You see in the original Sesame Street Elmo was supposed to be a 50ft tall dragon that breathed fire, but they didn't have the budget so they had to make do with things like felt and emotions instead. Thankfully the new Sesame Street on Blu Ray has fully realised Jim Henson's vision, and Elmo is at last how he always wanted him to be, crushing shops and cooking Oscar alive in his can.

:bowdown:

Re the Star Trek Blu Rays, the first taster DVD they've brought out is an odd one. Three episodes, The Inner Light (no complaints, it's superb), Sins of the Father (kay, I've seen it a billion times and owned it on VHS but I can live with it on here) and Encounter at Farpoint. Seriously. The fucking shitty pilot from the first series. Come on. That's a double-length episode too, they could be giving me two actual good episodes. All I want is a decent single-disk collection to highlight the quality of the best episodes, I'm not buying the whole series it'd be pointless. Why can't they throw Tapestry and Yesterday's Enterprise in? Because they want to save the good shit so people will buy the sets. I don't even own the DVD sets of season one and two, why would I want anything from them on the Blu Ray?

Urgh. God damn marketing bullshit. I'll just rent this single collection instead of buying any of it.

I don't know if anyone has been keeping up with it but The Simpsons might be coming to an end since the studio wants the actors to take a 45% paycut as opposed tot the 30% cut the actors say they're willing to take. Now it's sounding like the property might be worth more canceled since until the show ends, it's limited to syndication on local stations. I won't be suprised if this scares the actors into agreeing to the 45%.

I don't know if anyone has been keeping up with it but The Simpsons might be coming to an end since the studio wants the actors to take a 45% paycut as opposed tot the 30% cut the actors say they're willing to take. Now it's sounding like the property might be worth more canceled since until the show ends, it's limited to syndication on local stations. I won't be suprised if this scares the actors into agreeing to the 45%.

... They're still making new episodes of The Simpsons?

I'm still saying that the show is able to stay relevant. My best friend was born in 91 so he didn't live through the golden age of the show. He still finds it funny. I've said on multiple occasions that the show is still putting out quality product. Is it the level of Cape Feare, Last Exit to Springfield, or Lisa's Wedding? No but it's still better than the Season 12-16 hump.

I've watched roughly one episode per season, I've tried to like it again and it's just never stuck. I'm happy watching Family Guy because random insanity and non sequiters were always part and parcel of the whole deal, but with Simpson's all always be aware of the slide into imitating it's own imitators. Plus you reach a point where after 20+ years of no-one ageing and hardly anything changing there's just no more stories to tell.

The show has changed, from having all those really good subtle messages, to just being entertaining and not caring about character development as much. It's just as much an indicator of the times we're in, more so than the creators.

Considering the massive pay increase the actors got a few years ago, I doubt the 45% is going to send them broke.

The show has changed, from having all those really good subtle messages, to just being entertaining and not caring about character development as much. It's just as much an indicator of the times we're in, more so than the creators.

Considering the massive pay increase the actors got a few years ago, I doubt the 45% is going to send them broke.

As long as the show has been on, if they saved their money wisely it shouldn't affect them at all.