Fuck this shit!

Missy

IGN is currently running a feature profiling the top 99 games of all time. Sadly, reader reviews were what determined the rankings, which resulted in such stupidity as The Legend of Zelda coming in at #80 while it was beaten out by TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (#73). Additionally, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and the 2003 update of Prince of Persia (85 and 84 respectively) fell to ESPN NFL Football (#81). And let's not forget Metroid: Zero Mission (#93) and Metroid Fusion (#92) getting trounced by NBA Street Vol. 2 (#87).

What the bloody Hell are the IGN readers smoking when they rank and review games? At this rate, the Number One spot is going to be won by something so utterly undeserving that it's going to make me sick.

Thoughts:

Good to see Advance Wars at #62. No way is it better than the original Zelda, but still a classic puzzler.

Link's Awakening should be higher than #54, and I'm tempted to say Mario World should be a bit higher too, although not as much.

I'll be pissed off if Halo tops this thing, because if the IGN folk are as retarded as I remember, it could well happen.

Would it be similar to the way you did the top 20-30 horror characters of all time? That'd be cool, I just don't know if we could get enough people to name a hundred great games.

Yes. I'd ask people to name their top 25-50 games of all time (in order), and then I'd collect the data so as to determine a Top 100. And instead of writing 100 blurbs myself, I'd farm the work out to you guys. That would expedite the process greatly.

Which reminds me.... whatever happened to that horror characters one?

I've compiled all of the numbers, but I never bothered to send the list to Cash so we could actually write the article. Hopefully we'll get it done; it's simply a matter of me getting off my lazy ass.

Should Earth-2 run its own Top 100 Games of All Time?

Oh GOD, yes. Some of these things make my eyes bleed. I mean, I love Earthbound for what it is, but better than Super Mario World or the Legend of Zelda? In no way, shape or form.

In the overall scheme of things, #44 for Smash Brothers isn't too bad, but fucking Conker's Bad Fur Day in front of it? And only a few places down from the vastly superior SMB3, Mario 64, Windwaker and GTA: VC? Ugh.

Ugh!  Halo and Halo 2 came in at 18 and 19, besting Wind Waker (#35).  Goddamn!  (But at least they didn't make the top ten.)

Ha...the put Halo 2 so close to it's predecessor is funny. I meant atleast put two ranks between it if you are going to do that. Halo 2 is vastly superior for a ton of reasons.

Edit: OH SHIT. These MORONS thought Halo:CE was better than the sequel? Are you shitting me? Oh and that World of Warcraft was better than FF3 and MGS? God this is fucking hilarious. I am so scared of 1-10.