New Year's Resolutions 2013

Kscriv

I decided to look back on my resolutions from 2012 only to realize I had not made any so no update there. Since we're only a short time away from the new year I figure it's time to make some new resolutions.

Seriously Kellen, lose some weight: I currently weight 270 pounds, while in past year's I've been ambitious enough to say I can get down to 200 I'm going to go for a more realistic goal of 250, get down there, stay down there and hopefully try to do it without making any drastic changes to my routine.

Spend more time with the family: It became very clear to me during the last week spent out at the lake with the family that I have not been out there enough in recent years. Yes after a week or so my family grates on me but I think I spent all of 2 weekends plus the week at Christmas this year. I am planning on taking the week following Ai-Kon off and will likely hit the beach for that week, but I should get out there more than once every six months.

Save some money for a later day: In the spirit of getting my finances for today and later sorted out I have already decided to put c2e2 on the shelf for 2013, and if things don't change I may need to cancel my plans for Anime Detour as well. In addition I already spend far too much as it is on shit like food out of sheer laziness, not to mention blowing money on video games and such, try to curb that to a degree. In addition I plan to get as many bills as possible set to a bi-weekly paymet (since my rent is already there and it should make everything easier). Between all that and having a tax return that will go to me (as parental debt is all but done) I should have a good deal of funds going forward for 2014 and beyond.

Finally get around to a couple series: I've all but decided on my schedule for Animezing Podcast and as a result I will not be rushed into watching anything just so I can cover it, that said there are a couple thngs that have been on my to do list for some time I need to get through. Hellsing Ultimate OVA and Black Butler, they will be my primary anime purchases of the next year.

No more delays on Animezing Podcast: One of my biggest pet peeves of myself is I will often delay episodes of Animezing Podcast due to simply running out of time to produce it, I need to give myself more time to get this all done and get everything planned in advance.

Nail it at Ai-Kon: For those that dont know I have landed the MC job for Ai-kon and am back at work on game shows. Without going into major details I got some big plans and I hope they pan out according to plan.

And one last one that is pie in the sky:

Find a baseball loving friend, get a bat and a hockey stick, find Don Fehr: For legal purposes I will not elaborate on this one any further, But I do need someone to help out with this. James? Prof?

Right, time to set some (hopefully) achievable goals:

Stay the course with the legal studies: I have exams to sit in two weeks time, then new modules to learn for exams in June. All the while I'll be working 9-5 in my faux-lawyer day job. It'll ease off after June, but in those months, my job security will depend on how I do in said exams.

Fulfil Best Man requirements: The boy Pandy is due to be married in August and he's asked me to be his best man, due to our familial ties of being brothers. So I need to a) arrange a stag do, and b) compose a suitable speech to perform in front of both families. Yowser.

Lose weight: Whilst I'm not obese, the less weight I carry, the better - particularly when considering Pandy's wedding.

Equal your 2012 Museum commitment: In 2012, I went to 20 museums. Whilst, admittedly, that's less than 1 visit every two weeks, that's still a bar to meet, particularly without the luxury of car ownership.

Stay on top of your film watching: Doable.

Stop being a reclusive bachelor: Something I can stride for, especially if I push past the easy get-out of legal studies.

Mines are:

Eat healthier: I am not talking about "I won't eat junk food again! It's fruit and healthy things from now on!" No, I mean that it seems for the longest time, I have actually been feeling ill from the foods that I eat, whenever I eat a fast food burger, I always have to sit down for a moment, and just feel off, and unwell. So, I want to try and cut back on unhealthy cheap food, and eat things that I can eat without feeling like I've been kicked in the guy, afterwards.

Get a job: Self explanatory, I've been unemployed since fucking up my degree during the summer, and the fun of being able to do fuck all all day wore off after day 2.

Get my life in order: This comes down to the first two, but a little bit more, in that I've felt like certain parts of my life have been directionless, and with some interesting life and health issues coming up for me soon, I'd like to at least have a rough idea of where I see myself in the next five years.

Save more money: Does what it says on the tin.

Try and lose some weight: Right now, I'd prefer to actually be able to feel healthier than try and lose weight. I'd rather be a bit bulky, and feel better, than weight a little less than I do now, but constantly feel terrible.

• 11 months later...

I decided to look back on my resolutions from 2012 only to realize I had not made any so no update there. Since we're only a short time away from the new year I figure it's time to make some new resolutions.

Seriously Kellen, lose some weight: I currently weight 270 pounds, while in past year's I've been ambitious enough to say I can get down to 200 I'm going to go for a more realistic goal of 250, get down there, stay down there and hopefully try to do it without making any drastic changes to my routine.

I weighed in at 263.5 today, so while I did not reach my goal, I did go in the right direction. I attribute this to a near complete abolishing of potato chips and non-diet soda from my diet. Aside from that my diet and exercise routines stayed their crappy selves.

Spend more time with the family: It became very clear to me during the last week spent out at the lake with the family that I have not been out there enough in recent years. Yes after a week or so my family grates on me but I think I spent all of 2 weekends plus the week at Christmas this year. I am planning on taking the week following Ai-Kon off and will likely hit the beach for that week, but I should get out there more than once every six months.

I was out for an extended Easter, the Canada Day weekend, the post-Ai-Kon week in July, Thanksgiving and the week at Christmas. I'd say I did alright.

Save some money for a later day: In the spirit of getting my finances for today and later sorted out I have already decided to put c2e2 on the shelf for 2013, and if things don't change I may need to cancel my plans for Anime Detour as well. In addition I already spend far too much as it is on shit like food out of sheer laziness, not to mention blowing money on video games and such, try to curb that to a degree. In addition I plan to get as many bills as possible set to a bi-weekly paymet (since my rent is already there and it should make everything easier). Between all that and having a tax return that will go to me (as parental debt is all but done) I should have a good deal of funds going forward for 2014 and beyond.

On the one hand, I did set up my retirement fund at work and contribute 5% of each paycheck to it (which is then matched by my company), and due to cut hours at work I was left shorter of cash than expected which doesn't help things. That said I did blow my tax return rather quickly on a parking ticket/impound and a hastily decided on giant anime purchase. As of the end of the year I find myself with something of a budget surplus, my bills are under control, and I should be able to pull off Anime Detour and c2e2 next year (hell Detour is pretty much already paid for). May not be the most decisive win on this list but I did ok I think.

Finally get around to a couple series: I've all but decided on my schedule for Animezing Podcast and as a result I will not be rushed into watching anything just so I can cover it, that said there are a couple thngs that have been on my to do list for some time I need to get through. Hellsing Ultimate OVA and Black Butler, they will be my primary anime purchases of the next year.

I have purchased and watched all available Hellsing Ultimate OVA on Blu-Ray, I have purchased both seasons of Black Butler on Blu-Ray (watched Season 1, got Season 2 for Christmas, so a touch behind). I also was able to buy and/or watch RahXephon, Deadman Wonderland, Haibane Renmei, InuYasha: The Final Act, Chrono Crusade, Kaleido Star: New Wings, Pokemon: Indigo League, Soul Eater, the first 3 Volumes of One Piece and season one of Baka & Test in addition to my Animezing Podcast duties. Throw on that I've picked up Saiyuki, Kids on the Slope and the next 5 volumes of One Piece, in addition to some new entries on Netflix I want to see I am very stoked going forward for my anime watching.

[i[No more delays on Animezing Podcast: One of my biggest pet peeves of myself is I will often delay episodes of Animezing Podcast due to simply running out of time to produce it, I need to give myself more time to get this all done and get everything planned in advance.

No change there sadly, but hey I did get the Advent Calendar in on time. Still need to fix for next year.

Nail it at Ai-Kon: For those that don't know I have landed the MC job for Ai-kon and am back at work on game shows. Without going into major details I got some big plans and I hope they pan out according to plan.

For those that didn't listen to the Ai-Kon podcast, some of my best stuff had to be reworked due to logistics. I thought I did very well in the stuff I scripted, not so well when I decided to wing it, I almost ruined the guest brunch draw and failed to re-secure the position for 2014.

And one last one that is pie in the sky:

Find a baseball loving friend, get a bat and a hockey stick, find Don Fehr: For legal purposes I will not elaborate on this one any further, But I do need someone to help out with this. James? Prof?

The lockout was over withing 2 weeks. Total coincidence. :ninja_shifty:

Mine are:

Get a Job: I find my grades are better when I am working. Because I want to get a better job.

Keep my grades good: I was cursed graduating with a 2.995 and almost every scholarship opportunity was .5% away from my reach. I don't want that to happen again.

Get in better shape: cliche but if I switched the my usual breakfast of fried egg for a banana I am more productive during the day.

Illustrate my friends script more: He usually dedicates an hour a day and 20 during the weekend. I could at least try half of that.

Try to read Kscriv without wanting to say "Krishiv"

Be more careful about what museums I visit rather than just try to visit any museum. I still would have rather visited the edo period Morikami museum over the World Erotic Art Museum. Mostly because I don't want people to classify me as a pervert.

Mines are:

Eat healthier: I am not talking about "I won't eat junk food again! It's fruit and healthy things from now on!" No, I mean that it seems for the longest time, I have actually been feeling ill from the foods that I eat, whenever I eat a fast food burger, I always have to sit down for a moment, and just feel off, and unwell. So, I want to try and cut back on unhealthy cheap food, and eat things that I can eat without feeling like I've been kicked in the guy, afterwards.

Totally forgot about that for a while, but now, things are moving along. So not a victory, but not a loss either. I'm feeling less ill, so there's that.

Get a job: Self explanatory, I've been unemployed since fucking up my degree during the summer, and the fun of being able to do fuck all all day wore off after day 2.

Yeah, things happen. I'm closer now, than I was when I originally posted this.

Get my life in order: This comes down to the first two, but a little bit more, in that I've felt like certain parts of my life have been directionless, and with some interesting life and health issues coming up for me soon, I'd like to at least have a rough idea of where I see myself in the next five years.

Again, closer than I was. The interesting life stuff came in, and kicked me around for a few months, then other things happened, but again, I feel a lot better about things than I did this time last year. And, honestly, some of the stuff may have been bad, but it's in the past, and I'm closer to getting my life together the way I want, than I was one year ago.

Save more money: Does what it says on the tin.

Ongoing process.

Try and lose some weight: Right now, I'd prefer to actually be able to feel healthier than try and lose weight. I'd rather be a bit bulky, and feel better, than weight a little less than I do now, but constantly feel terrible.

I'm not feeling so horrible all the time, so that's a level of improvement.

So, not a hit or miss year from me on resolutions and life in general, but in hindsight, it really was a sort of set up year, which is good. Some things I could have been handled better, sure, but I can't change what's happened, I could make excuses, but I feel like I'm making progress in moving my life forward for the better, which in turn makes me feel better than just being stuck in the same depressed cycle forever.

Be more careful about what museums I visit rather than just try to visit any museum. I still would have rather visited the edo period Morikami museum over the World Erotic Art Museum. Mostly because I don't want people to classify me as a pervert.

FYI: There's a penis museum in Iceland. I know I'm saving up for that one!

Here goes:

Stay the course with the legal studies: I have exams to sit in two weeks time, then new modules to learn for exams in June. All the while I'll be working 9-5 in my faux-lawyer day job. It'll ease off after June, but in those months, my job security will depend on how I do in said exams.

Slight bump in the road when I failed my Land Law exam, but I'm re-sitting it in a few weeks. Need to revise a bit more just to knock them on the head.

Fulfil Best Man requirements: The boy Pandy is due to be married in August and he's asked me to be his best man, due to our familial ties of being brothers. So I need to a) arrange a stag do, and b) compose a suitable speech to perform in front of both families. Yowser.

I did pretty damn well at this!

Lose weight: Whilst I'm not obese, the less weight I carry, the better - particularly when considering Pandy's wedding.

I did start a pretty successful jogging regime and whilst the effects weight-wise were negligible, it's worth carrying on with.

Equal your 2012 Museum commitment: In 2012, I went to 20 museums. Whilst, admittedly, that's less than 1 visit every two weeks, that's still a bar to meet, particularly without the luxury of car ownership.

18 to date, so a technical fail, but I have had a lot of on my plate and 18 is probably a fair number. I still have to write up 11 of them though.

Stay on top of your film watching: Doable.

Done, and the addition of HAA! to my schedule gives me a good reason to carry on.

Stop being a reclusive bachelor: Something I can stride for, especially if I push past the easy get-out of legal studies.

Work in progress.

I'll work out some new ones soon enough.