PS3 news

Missy

True, I hate paying for XBOX live.

That was the breaking point for me. When Microsoft said this Summer that they have plans to keep the 360 around for another 5 years, I said "screw it. I'm not paying another $250 just to keep this thing running."

If the PS3 hadn't been delayed I would've got one when they first came out.

I believe it was actually that the 360 was rushed out a year early, hence why the consoles are shoddily-made and break so often.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted by the PS3 slim but I already have a 40gb. Problem is it's one of the model's with fans from hell in it, upscale DVDs for five minutes and it revs up like there's a gang of hell's angels skidding around in the back. Still, I could always buy a slim and give the old one to the girlfriend then claim it was all for here. She only plays Burnout Paradise on it though.

...the fuzzy look of the PS3 version.

?

I remember reading online about the tech comparisons between the PS3 and 360 versions, and there was no difference in blurriness. The 360 was slightly more colorful (because the PS3 outputs video in very slightly less saturated colors), but other than that the actual visuals were identical. Is your PS3 correctly hooked up with HDMI?

Yes, everything's hookled up right.

It's not a huge issue, most elements of the game are identical; models, textures etc. The problem is with the resolution. The 360 version outputs natively at 720p, the PS3 version outputs at 640p with a little less detail and then upscales which softens the overall picture. On top of that, the 360 has a GPU that essentially offers 2X Anti-Aliasing without any knock on the CPU. The PS3 doesn't have that and so developers have to find a way around but it can be done. Rockstar weren't in the mood apparently, so they just shipped a sandbox city game with no anti-aliasing and it has the jaggies making it all look less sharp.

I don't think it's a major issue with the game, in fact you probably can't tell if the PS3 version is the only one you played. Unfortunately, I went from playing it a lot on the 360 to the PS3 version and it was very jarring. Also, I should say before anyone takes this as a knock at the PS3. I actually think this situation is more about the issues trying to develop a game for two very different architectures. The lead platform is always going to be superior because it can be tweaked for the system from the ground up.

I actually think this situation is more about the issues trying to develop a game for two very different architectures. The lead platform is always going to be superior because it can be tweaked for the system from the ground up.

Yeah, the PS3 is inherently more complicated because of its multi-cored Cell Processor. It's technically more capable than the 360, but it takes a lot more work.

Yeah, the 360 having that Direct X based API helps a lot too. Apparently it's just like coding for XP. The Cell can do some phenomenal stuff and I think we've yet to see it all. The only real shortcoming I think the machine has is a lack of memory. I know it's XDR ram chips are supposedly out of this world but I don't care how efficient your RAM is, 512mb is not enough.

512mb is not enough.

I think the idea is that the PS3 should be able to use its extra processors and blu-ray drive to read more data off the disk faster, rather than keeping it all in RAM. But that, of course, just makes it harder to program.

I was just listening to a podcast recently where one of the PS3 devs was talking about how different PS3 developers share programming tips and help each other out with tricky coding all the time. That's pretty cool, in my opinion.

There's a big install (about 10 mins I think) at the start that takes a while and then periodically, between acts there are smaller installs. It never happens mid-level or anything like that and they're never as long as the major, first install so it didn't bother me too much. Part of the reason is because the game practically fills the 50gb capacity of a blu-ray disk and so it would just take too long to install it all at the start and the disk capacity is too high for it to run on the fly. Honestly though, the between chapter cutscenes on that game are so long that it's nice to have a break. I sat through 45 minutes of cutscenes on one occasion.

There's a big install (about 10 mins I think) at the start that takes a while and then periodically, between acts there are smaller installs.

Ahh... yeah. I remember reading about how they wanted to "split up" the chapters so that they'd stand on their own, like episodes in a TV series or chapters in a novel.

IGN.com

GC 2009: PS3 Slim and Price Drop Announced

August 18, 2009

The worst-kept secret in gaming is official: the PS3 slim is real. During its Gamescom press conference today in Germany, Sony announced the new system, which will retail for $299 US (or 299 Euros and 29,980 yen) and will hit shelves the first week of September.

The new design has all of the same features of the current system, including WiFi, Bluetooth and whatnot. Our guys at the show say that it looks pretty much exactly the same as the current model, only smaller. It's 34 percent lighter, draws 34 percent less power and, most importantly, comes with a 120GB hard drive.

Oh, and as a bonus, the current system is dropping to $299 as of tomorrow (so don't buy one today).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015007p1.html

gamescom20305353l.jpg

Well, fuck. This throws a serious wrench in my "Maybe I should buy a 360" plan.

Word on that, I've had trouble deciding myself. I'm going to wait and see what Microsoft does, they've got to phase the X-box Pro out sooner rather than later now. But this looks very very appealing, free online, free wireless, not a ton of hidden fees is outweighing the netflix and X-box live feature for me. Although the fact that most of my buddies have Boxes makes it much easier on me in terms of borrowing games. AHHHHH FUCK!

If X-box drops the Elite to $300, packages it with a couple games, and makes Live free, they'll have me swinging the bat for their team.