Favorite / Best: Stanley Kubrick

Gareth

Favorite / Best: Stanley Kubrick  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope I'm not boring anyone by doing all these "art-house" directors, but these are just the kind of films I watch. In any case, Kubrick is arguably one of the greatest filmmakes who has ever lived and easily one of my favorites.

Looking at his body of work I realize that there isn't a single film here I don't love (save a couple I have yet to see). I will not vote prematurely but as of right now I'd probably say The Shining as my favorite, it is such a layered and interesting film, and maybe 2001 as his best but I'll have to think long and hard about it first.

Goddamn! A tough one.

Art-house? Call me when you get to Harmony Korine...

As far as favourite goes, there was no problem there: Paths of Glory. It is my favourite war film and hovers around my top three films of all-time in perpetuity.

Best? It really was a toss-up between Strangelove and 2001. Strangelove is likely the greatest example of satire in film, but I went with 2001 because it is as close to a mainstream film gets combining experimental filmmaking and true art.

But the runners-up! Good God! The Shining's intensely laboured horror. Lolita's complete psychological destruction of a man. Full Metal Jacket's bizarre two act structure. Kurbick is probably the best pound for pound filmmaker of all time.

Hmm. I've only seen half of these, Strangelove, Spartacus, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, 2001 and Paths of Glory. Of those Strangelove is my favourite. In terms of quality its tough, probably 2001 because I respect it but there are 3-4 films I enjoy more on the list.

Art-house? Call me when you get to Harmony Korine...

By "art-house" I mean not the ultra-popular summer-blockbuster movie directors that are usually the theme of these kinds of polls. I might have done Harmony Korine if I didn't hate every single one of his films, someone else is free to use Korine if they want.