The Simpsons: The Movie

Missy

Simpsons Film Is On

"Now we're actually doing it," says Cartwright.

June 07, 2005 - Simpsons creator Matt Groening has been promising a feature film for some time now, but as the hugely popular animated series heads into its seventeenth season, there's not a lot of pressure to move quickly on a movie.

Nevertheless, BBC Radio reports that production is finally getting underway on an untitled Simpsons film. The word came straight from Nancy Cartwright, the actress who has performed the voice of Bart Simpson and several other characters throughout the show's run. While Cartwright was in London for her biographical performance 'My Life as a Ten Year Old Boy', she told the broadcaster that the project had already begun.

"You know what? We've just done the table read for the Simpsons movie so although we've been promoting that we're going to do it, now we're actually doing it and are in production.

"I don't know the name of it and I can't go into details about it and we'll just have to see how it goes, but I think it's going to be great and the fans are going to dig it."

Cartwright added that she expected the film to be out in a few years, but no later. Meanwhile, there's no end in sight for The Simpsons on the FOX network. Watch for updates.

That's a very big call. You won't see it at the cinema or you just plain won't see it?

You don't want to be like Bart and the Itchy & Scratchy Movie.

I won't see it at all. Not in the theater, not on DVD, not when FOX runs it on TV. I will never, ever see it. In fact, I refuse to watch the show now because the current episodes are soiling the great ones of the past.

I won't see it at all. Not in the theater, not on DVD, not when FOX runs it on TV. I will never, ever see it. In fact, I refuse to watch the show now because the current episodes are soiling the great ones of the past.

Finally, somebody who agrees with me.

• 1 year later...

Wow it's been a while since this was bumped. I'd honestly love it if the Simpsons was cancelled and this movie bombed. It won't happen though. I have major doubts that this movie will be any good, the quality of the Simpsons has fallen way too much to for me to believe otherwise. Depending on the reviews, I might rent in one day on DVD, but I’m not going to watch it at the cinemas.

Even though he said it a year ago, let me be the first to agree with ragernok2002 and say yes, I think the quality of Family Guy has fallen significantly as well. For the first three seasons they developed a bit of a plot line that was somewhat entrenched in reality, which made the over the top jokes somewhat funny. Then in season 4, they had to make everything zany, reduce the amount of actual plot and just cram in twice as many jokes, which seem to miss way more than they hit.

I, for one, like Family guy, and I like South Park. Both are not like they were when they started. South Park has to have some political statement in each show, and Family Guy goes for as many zingers and pop culture references as they can in each episode. The one I don't like because it's not as funny anymore, is the Simpsons. It needed to be cancelled 4 seasons ago.

• 3 months later...