Missy

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Dread said:

Don't be ridiculous. 300 million dollars in 5 days is doing pretty well.

A sub 100 million opening is an abject disaster for this movie. Really anything under 130 was going to be a problem. I sincerely doubt a Justice League 2 ever gets made, and now fully expect some kinda half assed reboot where they keep Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and shit can everything else.

I don't pretend to know the schematics of tracking a blockbuster. The facts are thusly: 

On the one hand, the initial weekend gross was definitively lower than anticipated, and there have been talks about WB taking a bath because of it.

On the other hand, none of the DCEU films have outright bombed, and although none have grossed a billion, up 'til now they've all been one of the top-ten highest grossing movies of their respective years. 

JL's been out for about a week and has made its money back. It'll need to do more than double to beat Man of Steel's total gross. It'll probably be fine, but it's a fact that the numbers are lower than most people expected.

On 11/23/2017 at 12:44 PM, Donomark said:

JL's been out for about a week and has made its money back. 

Don't forget about it's advertising budget. I don't think it's going to lose a lot, but I don't think it's going to make a lot either. WB is going to have sit down and decide how they want to move forward with the franchise. I have no doubt they will keep going, but I think they are going to reset and go in a different direction. Maybe not a full reboot, but an overall change in tone and direction. I think we are going to lose Ben Afflec as Batman. He doesn't seem happy in the role anymore if rumors are to be believed. 

Saw it today. Liked it, didn’t love it. A lot of the set up stuff was rough, but after Superman hit the scene, it was fantastic. Not a fan of Barry, especially given that we’ve seen his story done so well recently on TV. But, overall, it felt like a big step in the right direction, especially in the Superman Department  

That said, I saw it in an empty theatre with my wife, literally just the two of us. So, I’m not sure word of mouth is great. 

I do have to mention one huge mark out moment:

Booyah! from Cyborg had me freaking out.

On November 23, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Donomark said:

I don't pretend to know the schematics of tracking a blockbuster. The facts are thusly: 

On the one hand, the initial weekend gross was definitively lower than anticipated, and there have been talks about WB taking a bath because of it.

On the other hand, none of the DCEU films have outright bombed, and although none have grossed a billion, up 'til now they've all been one of the top-ten highest grossing movies of their respective years. 

JL's been out for about a week and has made its money back. It'll need to do more than double to beat Man of Steel's total gross. It'll probably be fine, but it's a fact that the numbers are lower than most people expected.

It hasn't made its money back. There is a studio/theater split on that revenue. Remember the stories about Disney using Last Jedi to strong arm theaters in order to get a better percentage?

• 3 months later...

I watched it last night.

Where is the Suicide Squad? Are they playing XBox somewhere? What could possibly be more important right now than stopping Steppenwolf?

Granted, they may not get along well with the heroes, but when facing down the armies of Apocalypse you need all the help you can get.

• 2 years later...

No Zack, it's not. It's some unedited footage and 30 Million to make it into something coherent.

I really do hope that the people who have been barking for this get what they want because if it's just as meh as the original, we'll see so many people try to pretend they loved it to save face.

They are going to be insufferable either way. As you said, Will, if it's bland or worse, we'll be met with so much self-gaslighting. And if it's actually good, we will never, ever, eeeevvvveeeerrrr hear the end of it.

There have been more than a few Director's Cuts that are tonally different from the theatrical cut. Blade Runner is the one that is screaming out there. Coincidentally, so does Superman II. Most just add in deleted scenes that are of little consequence.

There are a large amount of problems here. Dan Olsen did an excellent video back in December that went over most of the talking points. With everything going on, getting certain actors back to do any follow up filing will be a little more difficult. You might be able to get ADR out of them from home but getting some of them there for weeks for little pay is more questionable. Then you have the Ezra Miller situation. He might currently be considered toxic due to the entire choking a woman thing.

13 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

There have been more than a few Director's Cuts that are tonally different from the theatrical cut. Blade Runner is the one that is screaming out there. Coincidentally, so does Superman II. Most just add in deleted scenes that are of little consequence.

There are a large amount of problems here. Dan Olsen did an excellent video back in December that went over most of the talking points. With everything going on, getting certain actors back to do any follow up filing will be a little more difficult. You might be able to get ADR out of them from home but getting some of them there for weeks for little pay is more questionable. Then you have the Ezra Miller situation. He might currently be considered toxic due to the entire choking a woman thing.

This is truly the Darkest Timeline.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:58 PM, Donomark said:

This is truly the Darkest Timeline.

You say that - I had to Google to find out what Will was talking about. It's not on his Wikipedia and he wasn't charged by police. I fully acknowledge that I don't have my finger on the pulse of Hollywood scandals and things going viral, but it's the children who are wrong.

• 2 months later...

Say what you will about Snyder's films, but the fact we are here is truly a testament to the dedication of the fans and supporters. I never thought this would come to be, but I am happy for all those that campaigned and clamoured for this. I really enjoyed Man of Steel, have mixed feelings about BvS, and didn't overly enjoy the theatrical cut of Justice League, so I will be curious to watch this and see how I feel about it, as well as see how Snyder intended it to be. 

Also, in the panel it was announced the film will initially be split up into four hour-long instalments, and then later available as one large film. 

I don't give a thought one way or the other to the movie itself, but what we learned here today is if the fandom screams loud enough, and acts shitty enough, the studio might cave in and go back and change shit. It happened with ME3, it happened with Sonic, and it's happening now with JL. This is a very, very, very bad precedent to set, and I am not happy about it.

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't give a thought one way or the other to the movie itself, but what we learned here today is if the fandom screams loud enough, and acts shitty enough, the studio might cave in and go back and change shit. It happened with ME3, it happened with Sonic, and it's happening now with JL. This is a very, very, very bad precedent to set, and I am not happy about it.

Maybe I am out of the loop, but what was the "shitty" behaviour in this situation, aside from complaining and spamming the ever loving hell out of every forum and comment section with #ReleaseTheSnyderCut or complaints about the theatrical cut? Not trying to argue or disagree, I am just genuinely curious if I missed something, since I wasn't paying much attention to this "movement" early on. It seemed to me that fans were pouring their own money into advertising and donations

1 hour ago, batguy10 said:

Maybe I am out of the loop, but what was the "shitty" behaviour in this situation, aside from complaining and spamming the ever loving hell out of every forum and comment section with #ReleaseTheSnyderCut or complaints about the theatrical cut? Not trying to argue or disagree, I am just genuinely curious if I missed something, since I wasn't paying much attention to this "movement" early on. It seemed to me that fans were pouring their own money into advertising and donations

I've personally seen memorials and WB employee obituaries spam-bombed by cries to RELEASE THE SNYDER CUT. 

1 hour ago, Donomark said:

I've personally seen memorials and WB employee obituaries spam-bombed by cries to RELEASE THE SNYDER CUT. 

Yikes, thats not a good look. Thanks for the info - I had no idea. I'm hopeful that the described actions were those of a very small, toxic faction, that doesn't represent the entirety, similar to the toxic (and racist) Star Wars fans that surface every few years to spread hate and harass. But still, there is no excuse for that behaviour. 

I'll amend here my previous comment to note that I am happy that all those that campaigned or were hoping to see the Snyder Cut and were respectful during the process will be able to see it. Similarly, I'm happy for my friends and those that were involved in the original principal photography and had their work scrapped, altered or otherwise removed, who will now get to see their work completed. 

Y'know, maybe it's the fact that I'm drunk, maybe it's the song choice, maybe it's how unfinished the visual effects look but I don't think I have laughed this much in months. Zack Snyder's Justice League is already comedy of the year! It's definitely better than Darkseid Gets Hit With Football In Groin!