The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Torchwood' attracts 'Buffy,' 'Breaking Bad,' 'House' writers

Russell T Davies has firmed up the writing staff for the fourth season of "Torchwood," which debuts in the summer of 2011 on Starz.

Davies, who created the "Doctor Who" spinoff, will of course write several episodes of the 10-part series, but other writers for Season 4 include John Shiban ("Breaking Bad," "Supernatural," "The X-Files"), Doris Egan ("House," "Tru Calling," "Dark Angel'), Jane Espenson ("Game of Thrones," "Battlestar Galactica," "Buffy") and John Fay (a U.K. "Torchwood" writer).

The writers are currently hard at work on the new season of the show, which tells an international story and feature the kind of serialized, overarching story line featured in "Torchwood: Children of Earth," the miniseries that put the cult sci-fi series on the map when BBC America aired it in 2009.

In this 2009 interview, Davies talked about his newfound love for the miniseries format, which allows him to tell one large, taut story rather than a dozen or so separate tales over the course of a season. "I absolutely love it," Davies said. "I've been writing for 20 years and it's very rare to be given a new format."

"The new series will allow Davies and his writing team to tell a more explosive and global story, one that takes advantage of the unlimited narrative opportunities of a premium television service like Starz," the network said in a June press release announcing the new season.

For Season 4 of "Torchwood," John Barrowman will return as Captain Jack Harkness, Eve Myles will be back as Gwen Cooper and casting is underway for several new characters. Filming on the Starz-BBC co-production will begin in January, and though some of it will be shot in the U.K., a substantial part of the new "Torchwood" season will likely be filmed in North America.

John Fay wrote Day 2 and Day 4 of Children of Earth, I enjoyed some of John Shiban's episodes of Supernatural and The Lone Gunmen, I don't remember seeing any of Doris Egan's work, and Jane Espenson keeps on proving herself to be one of the best SciFi/Fantasy writer's on television. So, I'm kinda excited.

Espenson's the only one whose work I've seen a lot of, but I think the more intriguing aspect here is the details. A 10 episode Torchwood arc made internationally. This is going to be challenging. Here's hoping they air it in a run as opposed to week by week. I think the biggest part of Children of Earth's success was the event feel it created, aping the nightly episode schedule of Dead Set.

Details are available for Relics of Time, the first episode of the new Tom Baker audio series Demon Quest.

The BBC Audiobook production comes in five parts and is a sequel to Hornet's News released last year. Tom Baker reprises the role of the Fourth Doctor and is joined once more by Richard Franklin and Susan Jameson, reprising their roles as Mike Yates and Mrs. Wibbsey respectively.

The Doctor returns to Nest Cottage but lands in trouble when a key component from the TARDIS disappears. Mrs. Wibbsey is inadvertently responsible, but all she can offer in recompense is a bag containing four curious objects. It seems that each one is a clue, and the beginning of a chase through Time. In ancient Sussex they are apprehended by primitive tribesfolk, and mistaken for wizards. Can the revered goddess Wibbsentia get them out of hot water? Who is the fearful wizard in the neighbouring village, and why is the countryside littered with bodies? The Doctor and Mrs Wibbsey are about to discover that all is not right with history.

The series also features Nigel Anthony as the Wizard and Rupert Holliday Evans and Kate Sachs as the Warriors with with Samuel West, Lorelei King, Jan Francis, Finty Williams and Rowena Cooper.

The series is written by Paul Magrs and the first part is released in the UK on 2nd September and in the US on November 16.

Source

'Torchwood' relaunch is more global

By Hanh Nguyen

August 7, 2010 4:52 PM ET

"Torchwood: The New World" isn't a John Smith-Pocahontas homage, but does set a significant amount of storytelling in the U.S. In fact, the show will visit many shores beyond Cardiff.

"It has this global sweep to it which is justified by the story," creator Russell T. Davies says Saturday (Aug. 7) during the final day of summer press tour. "I hate to say 'international in scope' because it usually means a scene set in Berlin for no reason."

Davies hadn't automatically planned to continue "Torchwood," but then changed his mind after "Children of Earth" aired.

"[it] got phenomenal figures in Britain and did beautifully over here on BBC America," he says. "There was just a buzz about it. 'Children of Earth' was a new form of 'Torchwood' and something clicked. It just inspired me. The story of the new 'Torchwood' is something that's been ticking away in the back of my head for a long while."

"Torchwood" picks up a while after the events of "Children of Earth," but still deals with Capt. Jack Harkness' (John Barrowman) state of mind after those devastating events that left him dispirted. Gwen Cooper (Eve Myles) will also be back. A new character, CIA agent Rex Matheson -- who's yet to be cast -- will serve to introduce new audiences to the world of "Torchwood."

"Rex has no idea what Torchwood is and has to investigate," explains Davies. "Torchwood has been destroyed. It's ike a legend now, it's almost ceased to exist a long time ago and is spoken only of in whispers. We also have a watch analyst at the CIA called Esther. The two of them become embroiled in the Torchwood legend and investigate what Torchwood is or was and they find themselves on the run and meeting Captain Jack and Gwen, having to decide whether they're friends, whether they're enemies. It's a decision that takes a long time to be decided. That's part of the 10 episodes is the two teams coming together, a lot of sparks, a lot of excitement."

Despite the global scope, "Torchwood" won't abandon its Welsh roots.

"The Welsh setting still features in a really significant way as we move forwards so when we start filming in January, we will start filming in Wales," confirms executive producer Julie Gardner. "There will be beautiful landscapes. Gwen Cooper is still that character. She's still Welsh. Her story will take place in the U.S. but also very much in the UK, so that flavor of Wales will be very apparent."

Since filming has not yet begun, Davies has few details to share, but we also learn:

* Rhys Williams (Kai Owen) will be back with their baby.

* Sorry Capt. John Hart fans, but James Marsters is not going to be in this 10-episode season, but he's still in good with Davies for possible future participation.

* The new series continuous and very arced.

* Scheduling of the new "Torchwood" will be "very close" on both sides of the pond.

* Since the show is on a premium cable network, "Torchwood" can have nudity in sex scenes, but Davies is only sold on that if the story demands it. "There's nothing worse than a great big global international thriller that stops for a sex scene. Get on with it please."

"Torchwood" will run in Summer 2011 on Starz

Source

Most of my £15 iTunes voucher went on classic Dr Who, as I had a limited imagination of what I wanted to buy for my iPod. As such, I chose The Two Doctors, The Three Doctors & Terror of The Autons. All of which I'm glad I purchased although I'm weary of buying more classic Who until they've either been covered on BOTI or I muster up the strength to tell Richard that he was right all along about how compelling the show was before it was brought back.

That is quite the good story, I'd also highly recommend The Curse of Fenric. I've only seen the first part (As I want to see the extra-length Director's Cut.) But just from that first part I can say that it is a fine fine story.

Curse of Fenric is very good. In fact, McCoy's last two seasons are, by and large, prety damn good. Just avoid his first season at all costs.