Sign in to follow this  
JackFetch

Venom

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dan said:

... sym-BUY-ote?

Right pronunciation, wrong em-PHAS-is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think this is on the right track, but framing Eddie as a worker for "DA MAN" and this super slick reporter...IDK how much that's just advertising to seel the thing and how much will actually be in the film. I wish Venom's eyes were slightly bigger, but damn if he doesn't look creepy and on point. I think the tone is good.

But fuck Sony for their original stories BS. Venom needs Spider-Man. The whole corporation, even if it's the LIFE Foundation from the comics, reeks of the ASM movies, which no one (but I) liked. This isn't Catwoman off the mark, I like Hardy as Eddie from what I've seen. but it can only be so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Master said:

I thought it was pronounced sim-BEE-oat.

SIM-bee-oat and SIM-bye-oat are both considered correct, although Marvel properties have only ever used the former.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Donomark said:

I actually think this is on the right track, but framing Eddie as a worker for "DA MAN" and this super slick reporter...IDK how much that's just advertising to seel the thing and how much will actually be in the film. I wish Venom's eyes were slightly bigger, but damn if he doesn't look creepy and on point. I think the tone is good.

But fuck Sony for their original stories BS. Venom needs Spider-Man. The whole corporation, even if it's the LIFE Foundation from the comics, reeks of the ASM movies, which no one (but I) liked. This isn't Catwoman off the mark, I like Hardy as Eddie from what I've seen. but it can only be so good.

I liked the ASM movies too. I mean, as much as was possible. They're about as good as other superhero fodder. I like them a lot more than about half the Marvel movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 16 when ASM came out so the series was just right for me. I watched the first one 4 times in the cinema, something I haven't done before or since.

I'm bothered with the antihero label they're putting in the publicity for this, when there seems to be no real hero to contrast with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Davedevil said:

I was 16 when ASM came out so the series was just right for me. I watched the first one 4 times in the cinema, something I haven't done before or since.

I'm bothered with the antihero label they're putting in the publicity for this, when there seems to be no real hero to contrast with.

There doesn't have to be a hero to contrast the antihero. An antihero is a protagonist without heroic qualities (i.e.: The Punisher).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not getting the "this sucks" vibe that a lot of others are. Yeah the "turd in the wind" line is a head-scratcher, but Venom is pretty much spot-on as depicted. I'm not expecting brilliance, but this looks to be a film where the central character completely carries it and is worth the price of admission (unless you're of the 50% of comic fandom that flat-out just does not like Venom).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Master said:

This looks so bad.

Yeah. The first trailer looked promising, but this one indicates way too much comedy.  Venom is a terrifying monster and should not be making poop jokes. Still has potential to be good. Holding out hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Removing Venom from the circumstances of his creation results in a lot of generic material to fill in the gaps because there's nothing else there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish "Life" actually had been a Venom prequel. It would have been a perfect explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched Venom. Went from being like I don’t know I like this to genuinely thinking this is a good movie. So I don’t get the reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Delete said:

Just watched Venom. Went from being like I don’t know I like this to genuinely thinking this is a good movie. So I don’t get the reviews.

I'm thinking the reviews are "this is a Marvel product but not a Marvel Studios film, so it is inferior."

That's how those things work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched this yesterday because it was $5 and I was bored.  Went in with the lowest of expectations.  I thought the trailers looked bad.  Wasn't exactly excited.

It was alright.  Kinda bog-standard comic book movie.  Straight popcorn. It didn't stay with me.  I normally let a movie sit with me for a day or so before I give thoughts.  I normally think about it randomly throughout the day.  I didn't think about Venom until I saw this thread.  

To me, it comes down to Tom Hardy.  If you like his Eddie Brock, then you will probably like this movie.  I really didn't.  He was annoying for a good 80% of the time. 

Last thing: I almost watched this on Sunday.  But the 2:20 runtime put me off a bit.  But it is not even close to 2:20.  Movie started at 1:20.  Credits started at like 3:10.  Then the LONGEST credits I have ever seen play.  And I'm brainwashed into staying until the end for that 'bonus' scene.  And then they just play five minutes of a different movie. 

Spoiler

As far as the mid credit scene, I expected the tease, but I didn't expect Woody.  Which give a slight interest into a character I have no love for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.