The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Basically until the very late fifties/early sixties, all of these guys were also, or were attempting to be newspaper strip artists as that was where the money was. So, until certain artists came around (cough! Kirby cough!), comics were essentially rows of sequential strips on one page.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I mean Des is that one panel would take place here(1)

Yet theirs a panel here and your eye is taken to this one first and you have to re-read the last one again, which is no fun.

and the next one here(2)

It's great to re-read stuff to get extra stuff, but not to get the story the first time you read it.

Just be consistent for christs sake.

Loved the Kirby reference their Des.

I've just noticed TFAW's crazy sales...

So I wanted to see what people had to say about a few books in general, and if you've read or are reading a series can you tell me which arcs of TPBs are the best:

The Boys by Garth Ennis

Cable and Deadpool

Earth X - by Alex Ross the original 12 issue maxi series

Identity Crisis

JLA by Grant Morrison

JLA - Tower of Babel

Human Target

Marvels

Ultimate X-men by Brian K Vaughn (I wasn't a huge fan of Millar's run, there were some parts that were ok, but I just couldn't get into it overall. I really liked Bendis' short run, but right around early Vaughn is when I stopped trying)...

They've really messed up the current Wolverine run. Part 7 of 8 of Old Man Logan is supposed to be release at the end of the month in issue 72, but this week they released issue 73 and its a totally new story that apparently takes two issues before another new arc takes over at 75. So where the hell is the conclusion to Old Man Logan? Where is part 8 of 8? And why are they releasing issue 73 before 72? Are they trying to confuse people?

edit: ok apparently its concluding in Giant Size Wolverine, which is fine because its means more story pages, but at the same no-one seems to have any kind of clue when that book will be out. It's as yet unsolicited. This whole thing has been a total cluster. They should have held back 73 until the week after 72 so people don't buy it under false pretenses and the order of release isn't disrupted.

According to Newsarama, here's the revised schedule:

Wolverine #72: 20 May

Wolverine #73: 13 May

Wolverine #74: 27 May

Wolverine #75: 17 June

Giant-Size Old Man Logan: ?

Which is all well and good, but only Wolverine 72 and the Giant sized special have the Old Man Logan storyline in, and I really don't want to be waiting months on end for giant sized conclusion again like I was with Whedon's Astonishing X-men. I'd rather they had all the issues in the bag for a story like this before releasing it. Its not like it time-sensitive, they could have saved it up and released it month by month after the Dark Wolverine arc. This sort of miscalculation is why I get frustrated at Marvel & DC.

According to Newsarama, here's the revised schedule:

Wolverine #72: 20 May

Wolverine #73: 13 May

Wolverine #74: 27 May

Wolverine #75: 17 June

Giant-Size Old Man Logan: ?

Which is all well and good, but only Wolverine 72 and the Giant sized special have the Old Man Logan storyline in, and I really don't want to be waiting months on end for giant sized conclusion again like I was with Whedon's Astonishing X-men. I'd rather they had all the issues in the bag for a story like this before releasing it. Its not like it time-sensitive, they could have saved it up and released it month by month after the Dark Wolverine arc. This sort of miscalculation is why I get frustrated at Marvel & DC.

This creative team is really setting a precedent aren't they?

To be honest, I thought it was alright for what it was. Not made for comic fans and all...

Punisher's dialogue is shit for the most part and Barracuda is as good here as he is in the other Punisher books (not the biggest fan of his frankly, black verison of the Russian that he is.)

To be honest, I thought it was alright for what it was. Not made for comic fans and all...

Punisher's dialogue is shit for the most part and Barracuda is as good here as he is in the other Punisher books (not the biggest fan of his frankly, black verison of the Russian that he is.)

A Black Russian? blackrussian.jpg

A Black Russian? blackrussian.jpg

Don't mind if I do, thanks!

I just found out about Dc's preview pages that you can view online for the first three to four pages of certain comics and the cover, so now it's saving me time in the shop tomorrow as by the looks of things, the only thing I'll be getting is Green Lantern and having a second look at JSA.

I just found out about Dc's preview pages that you can view online for the first three to four pages of certain comics and the cover, so now it's saving me time in the shop tomorrow as by the looks of things, the only thing I'll be getting is Green Lantern and having a second look at JSA.

I wouldn't bother going tomorrow, the bank holiday pushes all UK comics deliveries to friday this week.