The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The dialog reads like a bad Bendis knockoff.

Furthermore, look at where Killer Moth is laying in the first panel, then look at him when Palmer turns his way. When and how did Moth get up against the wall? He was in the center of the room before, with Ray standing on his cape.

Edited by Yoda

I get that. Good point. I'm so sick of writers making good, calm heroes into badasses. Sometimes, a good person is just a good person.

It goes beyond that, though. The repeated "I'm speechless," the "Hey back" Atom says to Ray, and just little things throughout.

Furthermore, look at where Killer Moth is laying in the first panel, then look at him when Palmer turns his way. When and how did Moth get up against the wall? He was in the center of the room before, with Ray standing on his cape.

The blood stains on the floor seem to imply he was crawling away from them.

A lot of his Razorline stuff, Ultraverse work and his short Miracleman series is a lot like that.

Some of his Batman, WildCATS and even Golden Age if I remember right.

Definitely his JSA but Bendis was around by then, copying Robinson ;).

Can't find the image on here, but boom! Roasted.

The blood stains on the floor seem to imply he was crawling away from them.

I don't see any blood stains in the panel where Ray first confronts Moth. At least none that would indicate crawling backwards. And how did he crawl away if Palmer was standing on his cape?

Des, I can't speak of that stuff, because I've either never read it or it's been too long since I have, but this is the very first time I've ever seen Robinson write anything like this. I mean, it's one thing if they're both going for a more natural type of conversation. But the stuff seen here, this is pure Bendis.

I'm looking at first page, second column, third panel down; there seem to be what look like bloodstains on the ground by the cape, and a tear on the cape itself? That might just be me.

To the side of the cape, yes, but nothing that indicates crawling away. Thought I'll concede that the cape does look torn.

Couple of things:

In Green Lantern Geoff Johns is showing how much of a bunch of bastards the Guardians really are, and how malicious they can be.

In Green Lantern Corps Peter Tomasi is showing how truly evil Scar has become, and how these two storys when they come together in the Blackest night, how the shit will truly hit the fan.

Other editors should try and have the same flow between their titles like Green Lantern has, sure Batman has some of that, but that's mostly between Paul Dini's Sirens and Streets.

Also, when I was reading the preview of Justice League: Cry for Justice preview, I was slightly taken out of it, by the lettering, I mean it just felt so out of place with the rest of the preview.

Maybe that's just me, it just felt cartoony.

I knew Brian Wood had a history in graphic design (he did art for a lot of Rockstar games including GTA 3 and Vice City, as well as a lot of websites and a Nike advertising campaign) but I didn't know he was an active cover artist. He did 14 covers for Warren Ellis's Global Frequency and does all the covers for his own DMZ book, art which I consider to be on a par with James Jean's work on Fables.

I am also only four books short of owning everything the guy has ever written. Just need Vol 3 of the Couriers, Vertigo miniseries Fight For Tomorrow, his run on Generation X and Channel Zero. To be honest I wasn't that thrilled with the first two Couriers trades but I'm a completest and its cool to see his evolution through different styles as a writer.

• 2 weeks later...

Exiles has a very interesting concept, but Marvel needs to let it rest for a while. I mean, despite a few minor gaps in publishing, it's pretty much had a nonstop run since August 2001:

Exiles #1-100 (August 2001 - February 2008)

New Exiles #1-18 (April 2008 - February 2009)

Exiles #1-6 (April 2009 - September 2009)

Slapping a new "#1" on the cover does not always boost interest in a series, and twice now Marvel has learned that with this book.