Sign in to follow this  
JackFetch

Ant Man

"Amicable" my ass. He's been shepherding this project for eight years.

My guess? Edger mapped out his whole process in his usual deliberate manner, then Marvel changed the release from November to June.

For the first time since Iron Man, I am no longer confident that an MCU movie will be worth watching.

For the first time since Iron Man, I am no longer confident that an MCU movie will be worth watching.

To be fair, there were signs. The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor...

A-fucking-men!

I want to know what his Antman writing partner (+ director and cult TV and radio star) Joe Cornish is doing. If he quits too I'm donion-rings with ultra excitement for this film.

I liked The Incredible Hulk and Thor. I Sort-of like IM2; depends what sort of mood I'm in when I'm asked.

That doesn't mean I don't think Mark Ruffalo isn't a better fit, I just think his Banner is the result of what happened in the Hulk movie, especially the last few seconds.

According to Latino Review (who, bear in mind, are right only somewhat more often than they are wrong), the changes came from over Kevin Feige's head. Reportedly the movie as originally planned strayed a little further from Marvel Movie Formula than Disney was totally on board with (i.e., it looked and felt like an Edgar Wright film), and so they ordered script changes that Wright didn't like.

While that's totally possible, it also sounds very much like the exact thing someone would guess happened. It's like when there's a rumor that a new Resident Evil movie is planned starring Milla Jovovich.

...If you didn't want an Edgar Wright movie, why hire Edgar Wright?

If Warner Brothers was smart, they'd be serving up Booster Gold to Wright on a platter, right now.

But they aren't. Or we wouldn't be getting the clusterfuck currently calling itself Batman V Superman.

The language I'm hearing from all this: They hired Edgar Wright to make an Ant Man movie. Edgar Wright tends to make movies with some dry humor and jokes that tend to go over a normal American audiences head. They wanted big stupid humor since that sells more tickets. Wright probably refuses to dumb down his script and left. They go to get someone who can do some occasional satire but tends to operate more in Dick and Fart jokes AND since Kevin Smith is holding out hopes for a DC movie at this point, they go for that guy who works with Will Ferrel a lot.

Let me be clear:McKay has made some damn funny films, but he's less a filmmaker and more "the guy who brought the camera while all his funny friends goof off." For him to be taking over this project, which was shepherded by one of the most meticulous filmmakers working today is really, really not a good sign.

Nothing against McKay, specifically, he's just all wrong for this project.

Considering that none of us knows for sure what the tone, style, or plot of Ant-Man is, maybe we should reserve judgment.

That's the action credentials of this thing out the window. Sorry but without serious help or unless Wright planned all those shots out with idiot proof instructions and editing guides no way can McCay do it justice. Paul Rudd will be funny, but he would have been better served by being more Spider-man than Anchorman.

I'm just looking at the directors they are trying to court and noting that each and every one is known for comedy. Tends to mean that they're looking for someone to direct a comedy.

I'd tend to agree with you, Will, but if you look at what the guys who directed Winter Soldier had done previously, you could never say for sure.

You got me there. Yeah, I'll be the first to admit, directors are a thing that tend to go over my head unless its someone big like Edgar Wright or Kenneth Brannagh so I never even put two and two together as to who the directors for Winter Soldier were. Okay then, I'll wait to see what McCay does. He does seem to work well with his star.