Every comic you've read in 2015

Missy

Agree with you on Uncanny #600 Hannah

Dr. Strange #1 was really annoying to read for me. He's being written as RDJ Tony lite. The whole "I can save the day by flirting with whatever female personified supernatural creature is causing trouble" really really turned me off.

Edited by Donomark

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sensation Comics #16 - Both stories were terrible and had unappealing art. 

ASM #3 - Other than the last couple of pages, this was just annoying. Art was really good though.

Star Wars #11 - Another great issue. Luke had some really funny lines in this. "Okay...so...closing your eyes doesn't always work..."

Eleventh Doctor Season 2 #2 - Abslom Daak alternated between funny and annoying. I don't know what to make of the plot. I can really feel Si Spurrier's influence in this.

ASM: The Book of Ezekiel - I don't really care for the mystical spider aspect, but I guess JMS giving that "Why not both" reasoning excuses it. I generally don't like Spidey mixed with the mystical, but whenever it was about Peter Parker and MJ, it's fantastic. Might be the last great work from JRJR.

@Dread: The controversy around Hercules is that Alonso is now painting him as 100% straight. I don't know how accurate that is (Herc 1 is in my pile), but given that he's canonically bi and he wrote off Sera and Angela as a couple with multiple kisses in Angela #1 as ~see what you make of their relationship~, I'm at best eye rolly at him right now. (Also we can apparently tag people now.) (Also we still need to yell at each other about comics, because I liked Angela.)

Hmm...there's a moment in the issue where there could clearly be a little bit of gay subtext. I didn't even know that Hercules was bisexual in the first place.

Survivors Club #2: Not as good as the first issue, but it's still quite promising. I think I'll drop it and grab it in trade form.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #51: the first issue of a new status quo. Pretty solid. Great art. A real sleeper in today's comic market. one of the best monthlies going.

The Hangman #1: kind of a hollow horror conceit to start this series. I'll check out another issue, but it will have to go leaps and bounds to escape the doldrums I think it's mired in.

The Twilight Children #1: painfully decompressed. There's about 8 or 10 pages of story here, tops. The art's okay. not Cooke's best by a long shot. A little too Saturday Morning cartoon for the content methinks.

UFOlogy #6: what a fucking weird ending. Did not like.

Unfollow #1: Okay, I really dug this. 

Comics: 1464
Graphic Novels: 64
Trade Paperbacks: 115
Omnibus: 15

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #51: the first issue of a new status quo. Pretty solid. Great art. A real sleeper in today's comic market. one of the best monthlies going.

What's the new status quo? Is this post-Donny's death? (Or was he revived somehow?)

What's the new status quo? Is this post-Donny's death? (Or was he revived somehow?)

Donnie's back, but Splinter killed Shredder and is now the head of the Foot Clan. Mikey is choked about it and left the team to go solo like Raph usually does. Looks like Mikey will join the Mutanimals, which I love.

Virgil: Queersploitation graphic novel set in Jamaica form the writer of Midnighter. It's fucking fantastic. 

Vision #1: I started hating this, but started to enjoy it by the end. I'll try another issue.

What If Infinity-Dark Reign #1: Norman Osborn gets the Infinity Gauntlet during Siege. I checked it out because Josh Williamson wrote it. Goran Sudzuka drew it, which is awesome too. The book is still like every modern What If? story in that it just isn't good.

Comics: 1466
Graphic Novels: 65
Omnibus: 15

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Vol. 3)(Image) - I knew all about this series beforehand.  I knew all about the EXTREME~! re-branding and had very low expectations.  I pretty much expected to hate this.  But I don't.  Now. these are not good, but not the dumpster fire I had imagined.  The characters are all off.  Nothing has weight to it.  Leonardo gets his hand bit off and it takes two issues for someone to say anything and he is all 'meh' about it.  Donatello 'dies' like 17 times and no one cares pretty much ever.  No weight.  None.  Raphael becomes the new Shredder and leads the Foot (which I really like the idea).  You'd figure that would be a major thing.  Nope, half an issue and they laugh it off.

I get what was intended with this series.  Yet, I don't think it worked.  Some ideas were interesting, but execution was lacking.

Comics: 561

Digital First Comics: 65
Graphic Novels: 24
Trades: 145 (775)(4)(144)

Ms Marvel 1: Another renumber, whoooooo. Is pretty glib about the whole Secret Wars situation, gets into some neat stuff with gentrification and Kamala's life being kind of off the wall nuts. Though, you'd think Tony would be aware of anything with people misusing a member of the Avengers' image? Also was clearly meant to go after the new Avengers dynamic had been established, but since issue one only just recently came out, that's not really there yet. Touches on some stuff from the last issue, which I appreciate. Wilson is doing great balancing what can best be described as a weird ass situation to be in in the writer's seat. And the art continues to be fucking great. Nice to see the changes in the side characters too.

Mighty Thor 1: And again, we have a weird push and pull of status quo leftover from the last issue before the renumber and the other in universe titles that were going on prior (most notably: Loki Agent of Asgard). We get a good explanation for what the hell is going on with Jane and why the cancer's killing her despite the whole Thor thing, and get a sense of the status quo in the Nine Realms (hint: the AllFather is an AllDick again), and our villains begin to make their move. Dauterman and Wilson on the art on this is fucking gorgeous. 

Secret Wars Too: Pretty hilarious, for the most part. Leth's Kate/America story is cute, Al Ewing's is a convergence of godawful puns, there's something about Galactus as a food blogger, idk, D man shows up, and Bearverse. But really, the lead is the main story in the front, by Hickman, which basically made both me and the boyfriend look at each other and wonder out loud whether or not Hickman is okay or if it was just a massive cry for help. 

I Love Fairyland 2: Manages to keep the sheer insanity and momentum of the first issue going. Not as many laughs, but still fun enough. 

Pretty Deadly 6: Emma goddamn fucking Rios, kids. We have a neat lead in from the last volume into this volume's story, and a good new setup of the status quo with WWI. I am so here for this. (Not so much for the Valkyries thing in back, which I'm not sure whether or not it's gonna be a recurring thing now?)

Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl 4: Call back to the old McK black and white, with sparing but excellent use of color, Scott Pilgrim/mid 00s comics parody/homage, and a nice brief break from the main story? Hell yeah, hell yeah. 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Dreamwave) - Based off of the 2003 cartoon.  Fun and quick reads.  A really good Raphael story is this standout of these seven issues.

Creed/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Forgot about this one earlier.  I have no knowledge about Creed and that makes this pretty much useless to me.  The turtles look awesome tho.

Green-Grey Sponge Suit Sushi Turtles - Also forgot this one.  Wish it had stayed that way.  Parody of the first movie.  Horrible.

Comics: 570

Creed/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Forgot about this one earlier.  I have no knowledge about Creed and that makes this pretty much useless to me.  The turtles look awesome tho.

Holy shit...I remember when Creed was THE book. I sold the first issue for like $50 before the world discovered how shitty it was.

The Complete Alias: read this in prep for the Netflix show and I have to say it's not very good. It goes overboard trying to be shocking (3 f-bombs on the first page, anal sex in the early issues). Kind of like it's written by a thirteen year old with their perception of adulthood. It gets good in the second half, but by then I would have dropped the book. Oh well, it seems well built for a TV show and I look forward to it. Gaydos' art is terrible.

Comics: 1466
Omnibus: 16

Blade: The Vampire Slayer Black and White Collection:

Collecting Vampire Tales #8 and 9, Marvel Preview #3 and 6, Blade: Crescent City Blues #1 and Marvel Shadows and Light #1, this trade reprints Blade's first solo adventures and some random others all in Black and White, by Wolfman, Claremont, Gene Colan and Tony Dezuniga. I was really into it in the beginning. I loved the hyperbolic 70s aesthetic of it, loved the Hammer Horror quality of the stories, found Blade to be entertaining. The collection kind of rides on that initial high and by the end the novelty wore off. I still like Blade as a character quite a bit, but I'm definitely more attuned to his more modern origin. Here, he's just a well trained human who can't be turned by a vampire bite. I think I read that Morbius gave him his later powers, then his origin was straight retconned into Deacon Frost's biting his mom making him half-vampire. That origin is more interesting to me. I do like the fact that he's a horn player and was raised in a brothel, and that most of his adventures take place in London. Elements like that are pretty awesome, but the trade kind of petered out for me by the end. Still, I'm down to read some more Blade stuff.

Suicide Risk #1-25: the comic starts by building a really cool world. I'd say the first half is good, but it moves onto stuff that's a little too high and mighty for the quality.

Invincible vol 2: this is super solid. Looking forward to more.

Comics: 1491
Trade Paperbacks: 116

Next testament vol 3: as the final volume, this didn't live up to the huge expectations set by the previous two, but it was still fantastic. It was right up my alley, and I'll be thinking of this when I finally read The Scarlet Gospels and am let down.

X Vol 6: X against two very superpowered dudes. Interesting to see his methods. Not sure how much more I will be supporting this series.

Puppet Master #1-7, Halloween Special: the first 2 arcs of the ongoing are pretty solid and fun. Along the lines of the early films. The special is a prequel to the first film and is basically Gallagher bringing the puppets into a sorority house on Halloween night and having them kill all the slutty-costumed girls. Pretty bonkers.

Comics: 1499
Trade Paperbacks: 118

Shadow of the Batman - Five issue Baxter series reprinting the Englehart-Rogers(And Wein and Simonson) Detective run. I like Englehart's writing, but he's not my favorite of the 70s Bat-Writers. (That'll be the aforementioned Len Wein) Marshall Rogers, on the other hand, is one of the definitive artists for me. The stories were all pretty solid, but they capped it off fantastically with Laughing Fish. Englehart can write Joker dialogue better than almost anybody. The random backups weren't to my taste, but hey more Marshall Rogers art is never a bad thing.

All-New All-Different Avengers 1 - Left a bit to be desired but the characters were spot-on. Loved the art on both stories.

Ultimates 1 - Not into cosmic, but I dug this. Art was pretty too, if a bit stiff.

Web Warriors 1 - Fun as hell, writing and art-wise.

An intermission from TMNT comics:

50 Girls 50 - Solid idea that was never realized.  Went for too much cheesecake in the first issue and never recovered.  And a pretty big storyline is never resolved, which is unforgivable when you know it is a 4 issue mini.

Curb Stomp -  Gang wars, focusing on a group of badass chicks.  I say that because that is how they set it up.  I didn't see any badassery in these issues.  And the coloring really killed the art.

Lunita - Crappy B.P.R.D. ripoff.  And really inconsistent issue to issue in keeping the story focused.  It feel like I missed of content.

Comics: 582

Airboy #4: seriously one of the best books of the year. What an ending. I've never been a big fan of James Robinson. In fact, I've been pretty outspoken in my dislike for a lot of his projects. This is one of the bravest things I've ever read in comics. Fucking ballsy man. I'm buying the trade when it's out.

All-New Hawkeye #1: Naw...I'm good.

All-New All-Different Avengers #1: I liked this one ok. I'll give it another issue.

Batman & Robin Eternal #6,7: Still solid. INteresting to see how this unfolds.

Batman Europa #1: Wow...I almost completely bypassed this, but Jim Lee's art is gorgeous. Maybe the best it's ever looked. The story's pretty fun too.

Black Knight #1: I was jazzed about this before I read it. Not sure how i feel about it after. I'll give it another issue before I decide.

Black Bag #1: There's a lot of bad girl spy comics lately. Haven't found a single one that's good yet.

Bloodshot Reborn #8: so fucking beautiful. 

Book of Death-Legend of the Geomancer #4: Bonkers. As the origin for a universe, fucking amazing.

Captain America #3: this issue went places they never needed to go and the world is better for it. Damn you, Nick Spencer, you magnificent bastard.

Clean Room #2: Ok, that was weird. I'll give it another.

Crossed Badlands #89: Holy shit! This might be the best arc of the entire run. Fuck, man. Crazy sauce.

Comics: 1512

Ms. Marvel vol...? Kamala Khan vol.2 #1

Loved this, a GREAT return to the character, although she never really left. LOVE the combo art with Miyazawa and Alphona. Hope they have a run akin to Jock and Franciso Francavilla during Snyder's 'Tec run. Wonderful teen drama stuff and great diverse characters all around. Best "#1" issue I've read in a while.

TMNT intermission part 2:

Bill and Ted's Most Triumphant Return - Took til the fourth issue, then I realized that this was Back to the Future II.  Reading Bill & Ted is a lot less fun that watching them.  I chuckled a few times, but I think I rolled my eyes at all the meta jokes more.  I wanted to like this but no. 

Notti & Nyce - I got four issues before I quit.  It was interesting for two pages.  Would have quit sooner but it was the only thing left on the tablet. 

Comics: 592

GI Joe #219: Pretty solid. Interesting to see where this goes.

God is Dead #44: consistently one of the best comics on the market.

Godzilla in Hell #5:The first issue was amazing. 2, 3 and 4 were bullshit terrible. Five was even better than the first. Incredible. Dave Wachter's amazing.

Harrow County #7: solid.

Huck #1: Despite Millar's shameless "oh Man of Steel hurt me so much I had to create a comic" PR stunt, this was actually really good. Albuquerque's art is incredible too.

Illuminati #1: Williamson killing it. Art isn't the best, but I'll give it another issue or so.

Imperium #10: Valiant is still the publisher publishing the largest amount of good monthly comics. Unstoppable. Their line is like 1/10th the size Marvel and DC's is too.

Infinity Gauntlet #5: eh, ended with a whimper.

Justice League Darkseid War Shazam #1: Goddamn. this was good.

Justice League Darkseid War Green Lantern #1: a beautiful looking book, but not very well written.

King Tiger #1: fun ending.

Limbo #1: amazing. I love this.

Paybacks #3: the best issue yet.

Puppet Master #8: okay...I have a novel pitch ready for Full Moon if they ever go there and I was wondering when the comics would enter the territory of my pitch. Here it is. Kind of fun.

Red Thorn #1: This feels like garbage to me.

Comics: 1527