Infinite Crisis

elevenball

So, is everyone around here as hyped for Infinite Crisis as I am? And this is coming from a guy who has never been into DC all that much aside from Batman.

The dude at the comic book shop recommended I pick up DC Countdown. His rationale--"Dude, even if you hate it it's only a buck." So I gave it a shot.

Despite generally not knowing what in the fuck was going on (I really didn't know any of the Identity Crisis stuff--I haven't read it, waiting for the trade--except for the Sue Dibny murder and the Batman mindwipe which a comic book nerd like me knows through osmosis), I really dug it. Dug it enough to buy the OMAC book, the Villains United book, the Day of Vengeance book (which is so damn awesome--probably my favorite comic of the year so far), and the Rann/Thanagar War book (where I really do not know what the fuck is going on, but the art by Ivan Reis is just spectacular). And hell, now I for the first time ever I bought a Wonder Woman book (#219) and dug it too.

I think what I like about this stuff is that despite not knowing what is going on with the character histories and whatnot, the talent creating the books is just phenomenal. Bill Willingham has taken a team with a dude with a raggedy cloak, a witch, a blue devil, an old dude with a sword, a hot chick with no discernable personality or powers other than she shoots out black stuff and can teleport, and an alcoholic Detective Chimp and turned it into some of the finest drama I have ever seen in a comic book in Day of Vengeance. Get that book while you still can, people. It's that rad.

OMAC had really made me reconsider my stance on Superman and Wonder Woman--basically, I thought they were boring ass generic heroes. Here, Superman is totally falliable and Wonder Woman is the hero willing to cross the line.

I've picked up some JLA stuff too (Zatanna--what a cool character). And the Donna Troy special.

DC is really, really just rolling as a company right now. Marvel I don't think is going anything nearly as good (save for maybe Astonishing X-Men and anything John Romita Jr. draws), House of M is nowhere near as good of a crossover, and for once this Marvel lifer is saying that DC is putting out better stuff. Yeah, part of me is a victim of the marketing (I hate it usually when you have to buy hella obscure books to get the whole story), but the comic fan in me is also really excited too. All the talents involved with the build-up to Infinite Crisis are knocking it out of the park and putting out some of the best comics I have ever read. I can't wait to see how it all pans out.

• 2 months later...
Yeah I've been reading all the the Countdown Minis and i think Villains United was the best. I'm hoping they get an ongoing with like Deadshot and Catman that'd be so awesome. One question though, Luthor shot Pariah but I was under the impression part of his power was he couldn't die so to quote the Hurricane "Whassupwitdat?"

Chances are he'll show up alive again.

OK.

Superman is upset with Wonder Woman for killing Maxwell Lord. WW had to kill Lord because Lord was mentally controlling Superman and using him to beat Batman to death.

Didn't Superman kill the three Phantom Zone criminals when he was stuck in an alternate reality? Didn't he kill them to keep them from crossing over into Superman's reality and ravaging Earth the way they ravaged their reality's Earth?

Doesn't this make Superman a hypocrite?

I don't know why killing Maxwell Lord was a big deal anyway; even the cops in Identity Crisis mentioned that bad guys keep coming back to life. It's not like anyone (other than Uncle Ben Parker) has ever stayed dead in comics.

:D

Didn't Superman kill the three Phantom Zone criminals when he was stuck in an alternate reality? Didn't he kill them to keep them from crossing over into Superman's reality and ravaging Earth the way they ravaged their reality's Earth?

Yeah but then he cried about it and left Earth and went in to space and met some people and transported into a big monster and was haunted by his guilt and then beat up Mongul and found the Eradicator.

So basically by the end he'd forgotten about it. Which is nice.

OK, I know of two origins of Hawkman:

• He inherited the mantle, wings, etc. from ancient Egypt.
  • He is from Thanagar and came to earth as a super hero.

I have been more interested in the character since Identity Crisis, but I do not have any idea who in the blue Hades this one is. Is this the Hawkman from Ancient Egypt or Thanagar? If he is from ancient Egypt, is there any connection to Thanagar? Who is Hawkgirl and who is Hawkwoman? Can someone explain this to me?

• 2 months later...

The impending "Crisis" has really drawn me in. I started with Identity Crisis a while back, then I went back and read Crisis on Infinite Earths a few months ago in preparation for the event. I am so deep into all things Crisis right now. It really has pushed Comics in general to the forefront of my priorities.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...