Game Boy Micro

Missy

Game Boy Micro Date and Price Revealed

The miniaturized Game Boy Advance will ship next month in two flavors.

by Craig Harris

August 17, 2005 - Nintendo has revealed that the company will release the Game Boy Micro handheld system on September 17th in North America. The unit, available in two different colors (Black and Silver, will retail for $99.99.

The Game Boy Micro is a redesigned version of the existing Game Boy Advance platform, a unit that plays all GBA games in a much smaller handheld system. The unit measures a scant four inches wide, two inches tall, and .7 inches thick, and weighs just 2.8 ounces, complete with built-in rechargeable battery. The device has replaceable face plates that protect the high contrast backlit LCD screen.

The black Game Boy Micro will include one faceplate with a "Flame" design of fiery yellow double helixes on an orange background. It also will come with a green "Camouflage" faceplate and a silver faceplate. The silver Game Boy Micro will include an "Ammonite" faceplate with a dark blue swirling pattern. It also will come with a "Ladybug" faceplate that features a ladybug on a large pink gerbera daisy, and a black faceplate.

The Game Boy Micro is compatible with all Game Boy Advance titles, but will not play Game Boy or Game Boy Color titles. Nintendo did not reveal pricing on individual faceplates.

The Game Boy Micro will also launch in Europe on November 4th 2005. For that territory's launch, the system will be available in four colors: Silver, Green, Blue and Pink. The system will retail at around £69.

I saw this at E3, but mostly ignored it. So it wasn't until now that I came to realize that this little thing is nearly identical in size to the original NES controller. In fact, it's only slightly shorter than the ol' black n' grey controller; the other dimensions are a perfect match.

Images can be seen here.

• 2 weeks later...
But it's small!  Small, James!  Small! :rolleyes:

Small, you say?! Shit, son! :twitch:

Shit yeah kid! And you can put a faceplate on it that is camo~ HARDCORE~!~!

OMG, NO FUKKIN WAY!!! RAWK ON, MAN~!!!@!1

Seriously, though, this is one of the most pointless things I've ever heard of. I just bought myself a DS yesterday (price drop!) and since that can play GBA games, I'm happy as can be.

What DS games did you buy?

Super Mario 64 DS was the only one I got. So far, I have only one thing to say--Yoshi is fucking slow. What gives?

I am thinking of getting some GBA games like the new Fire Emblem, along with the DS games like Advance Wars, Meteos and maybe Kirby's Canvas Course. But I have already spent so much of my paycheck that I'll have to wait a couple weeks to buy any more games at all.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone say "ripoff?" The GBA SP had just enough features to set it apart from the GBA, but this is just Nintendo preying on people who must have the latest thing out. Of course if you're really stupid enough to get it, you don't deserve to have money. :D

You know what they say about a fool and his money.

The Gameboy Micro is completely and utterly... USELESS! Hooray for failure!  :yes:

Useless.. yes.

Failure, not quite yet. From what I heard on one of the video game web sites, it sold a pretty good amount it's first week of sales in Japan a,d outsold both the DS, PS2 and PSP. So that's a good start.

-edit-And no, I can't remember where I read that. It was awhile back.

The Gameboy Micro is completely and utterly... USELESS! Hooray for failure!   :yes:

Useless.. yes.

Failure, not quite yet. From what I heard on one of the video game web sites, it sold a pretty good amount it's first week of sales in Japan a,d outsold both the DS, PS2 and PSP. So that's a good start.

Good God, are you serious?! I don't know weither to laugh or cry...

(Oh, and I'm to blame for Beefstu, my little sister, being brought upon these boards. Sorry in advance.)

The Gameboy Micro is completely and utterly... USELESS! Hooray for failure!  :yes:

Useless.. yes.

Good God, are you serious?!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/652/652773p1.html

Afraid so.

are you sure about the PS2? the article didn't mention it and I dont see it being outsold by a remake of a system.

I think he meant it was the best-selling console the week of its debut.

For example:

Week of 9/12

GB Micro - 800,000 units sold

PS2 - 600,000 units sold

DS - 500,000 units sold

PSP - 350,000 units sold

Or something like that, not that it had a bigger opening week than the PSP, DS, or PS2.

EDIT: Obviously, those numbers are BS since actual sales were much lower than that.

Oh great. If it really is that popular, more stuff like this is coming soon.

NOW IN STORES: The GBP, the Game Boy Phone! Has a game slot so you can play all your favorite games while calling your friends.

And after seeing the phone that acts like a small iPod, I'm getting worried this may not be such a joke...