The Dark Knight

Missy

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked good in the animated series because it was a cartoon. Things don't work the same way in live action.

There's really no way to prove it cannot work.

poison-ivy.jpg

Hey, yeah, thanks for brining up a shit movie into this by trying to justify that costumes from the comics can't be translated.

What's next? Going to post an image from the 1960s Batman and try to justify that the Batsuit cannot be translated to film? Because it's much better to show the Batman wearing an all black rubber suit which constricts his movement. Yeah, we're much better off with that.

He ain't Batman if he needs to wear a bodysuit composed of kevlar when he goes out into the night.

He ain't Batman if he needs to wear a bodysuit composed of kevlar when he goes out into the night.

The Batman in the comics wears Kevlar, or the DC equivalent of it.

Yes, I know that. He's wearing more than just a vest underneath the costume in 'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight.' The costume used in those movies is for protection purposes rather than allowing for quick movement, acrobatics.

Anything more than a kevlar vest and a few, minor other points of armour on the costume, it ain't the Batman.

The difference is, the Batman in the comics is a superhero, so he can get away with tights and light armor. The Batman in the two most recent movies is an urban soldier, therefore he needs more armor than his comic book counterpart.

And the best part is he can be both. As I've said before, Batman is one of the very few characters who can be interpreted many different ways: dark superhero, campy superhero, detective, scientist, ninja, soldier and so on. To say one vision of Batman is right over all others limits the character.

Okay, are we seriously having an argument about how many layers Batman has on under his armor now?

Anything more than a kevlar vest and a few, minor other points of armour on the costume, it ain't the Batman.

Heck, they even addressed it in TDK. Of course, he was still restricted by a ton of armor, but it all comes back to Nolan trying to make a semi realistic version of Batman. I don’t know dude, all your complaints come back to being about accuracy. I want them to try and stay true as much as the next guy, but I know certain things just aren’t going to work in a live action film.

Okay, it's the best-reviewed comic movie of all time, it's the second most financially movie of any kind in history, it's getting serious Oscar chatter, and it singlehandedly brought artistic respectability to a medium that's finally breaking the shackles of "Pow, Zap, Comics aren't just for kids anymore".

I can overlook the lack of Scarecrow's straw hat.

The difference is, the Batman in the comics is a superhero, so he can get away with tights and light armor. The Batman in the two most recent movies is an urban soldier, therefore he needs more armor than his comic book counterpart.

And the best part is he can be both. As I've said before, Batman is one of the very few characters who can be interpreted many different ways: dark superhero, campy superhero, detective, scientist, ninja, soldier and so on. To say one vision of Batman is right over all others limits the character.

We got very little detective out of both of those movies. Hardly was he depicted as an inventor in the movies. No one's really wanting a campy depiction of 'em. Most seem to want the modern incarnation.

Okay, it's the best-reviewed comic movie of all time, it's the second most financially movie of any kind in history, it's getting serious Oscar chatter, and it singlehandedly brought artistic respectability to a medium that's finally breaking the shackles of "Pow, Zap, Comics aren't just for kids anymore".

I can overlook the lack of Scarecrow's straw hat.

So I should just shut up and be happy with what I get right?

One thing you should know about how some are sayin' its the best superhero movie of all time, the same was said about 'Spider-Man 2' and that was pretty much a piece of crap except for the scenes in which Doctor Octopus battled Spider-Man which was the only way I could tolerate watching that movie. And even some of the fight scenes they screwed up.

We got very little detective out of both of those movies. Hardly was he depicted as an inventor in the movies. No one's really wanting a campy depiction of 'em. Most seem to want the modern incarnation.

If by this you mean "most want the version Nolan is giving them", then yes, you're right. I'm not saying you shouldn't want what you want - I can point to things in TDK and think to myself, "That would have been a good place to acknowledge X arcane comic trivia".

No one is telling you to shut up and eat your peas, but you can't presume to speak for the moviegoing public that's made this version of the character so obscenely popular. I don't think this movie is perfect, but is as close as has ever come. I would rather have a great movie than a close approximation to the comic continuity. The closest anyone has ever come to the comics of the time was the Adam West show. We like to pretend it's not so, but Batman comics of the mid 1960s were EXACTLY like what we saw on TV. Is the modern comics version better? Probably, but I don't care for it, personally, and I certainly wouldn't spend $10.50 for the privilege. My all-time favorite version of the character is the fist couple of years of the DCAU Batman, and I can tell you, that character is certainly not the character that was in the comics at the time.

Changes are made for a reason. Often they don't work. Here they worked beautifully.

EDITED TO ADD: Woot! 1000 posts.

So, wait: DC is presenting Batman as a dark, gritty, urban soldier type who is going up against some truly perverted and messed up individuals.

Chris Nolan is presenting Batman as a dark, gritty, urban soldier type who is going up against some truly perverted and messed up individuals.

But because he's not wearing gray spandex, the movie is a failure?

So, wait: DC is presenting Batman as a dark, gritty, urban soldier type who is going up against some truly perverted and messed up individuals.

Chris Nolan is presenting Batman as a dark, gritty, urban soldier type who is going up against some truly perverted and messed up individuals.

But because he's not wearing gray spandex, the movie is a failure?

If by you mean Nolan is presenting a reckless, non-driven full kevlar wearing vigilante afraid of what his childhood girlfriend might think of him taking on weak mob bosses, a not so corrupt justice system, a ninja master residing in the mountains and a psychopharmologist who doesn't wear his costume for half his total screen time and leaving out his behaviour, yeah, I'd say you're right.

I think I’ll bow out of any further arguing. I’m glad you’re passionate about all this Feral One, but all your complaints seem to be about accuracy rather than the quality of the movie itself. I’m being honest when I say that Nolan’s version of Batman is way more entertaining than the scenarios you are presenting.

What did you think of the Joker anyway?

Reread what I said. I didn't say he had to be all or even most of those; I said he "can be interpreted many different ways." As long as the character stays true to his roots (RE: dead parents, he himself is not a killer), the vision of Batman can change over time.