Every film you've watched in 2020

Missy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Midnight Kiss: I've found Hulu's "Into The Dark" series has been iffy at best from the films in it that I've watched. Midnight Kiss is the first one I've enjoyed. It's a slasher film with a largely gay cast and a gay director and it really shows. It's so rare you get one gay character in a slasher who's not a stereotype, let alone a cast of them so this was nice to have gay men that sound like gay men.

Devil's Pass: So I figured, hey, I watched one gay themed horror film, why not make it two. It's not terrible but it wasn't a good film.

Films: 2

The Fugitive: First time watching, despite it being one of the biggest films of the 90s. Loved the cat and mouse interplay between Tommy Lee Jones & team (including Joey Pants) and Harrison Ford. The latter gets to show his intelligence to stay one step ahead of capture whilst hunting for the one-armed man, but without making TLJ & Co look stupid or bad at their job. The dam stunt came much earlier than I expected, but there was plenty to keep the film ticking along. Also intersting to see Stacey from House as the late Mrs Kimble. Entertaining film which very much embodies 90s movies.

The Equalizer: Boy I slept on this one. I loved it. I want to watch the sequel ASAP.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: wonderful film. I was thinking that Tarantino's movies where he subverts history (Inglourious Basterds and this one) are my favourites, but then I remembered Jackie Brown and realized I love all his films that he doesn't appear in. But then I guess that counts Kill BIll, so I don't know what's going on. Pitt is excellent in this one. DiCaprio is having a blast. Kind of wish there was more for Margot Robbie to do, but the scene in the movie theatre was beautiful.

Wishmaster: review forthcoming.

• Features: 3
  • Shorts:
  • Documentaries:
  • Rewatches:

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker: I liked it. I have liked all of the Star Wars movies, including the prequels. I do have some problems with it, especially the way Rey defeats the final bad guy and the plot hole surrounding the consequenses of that defeat, but overall I thought it was very good.

Films watched: 1

15 hours ago, teenalphabro said:

Streets of Fire: it’s pretty good, tbh. Everything’s a bit wooden, but other than that, it’s good. 

Films watched: 4

I need to rewatch that, because Des reviewed it alongside Phantom of Paradise and thought SOF was the second coming, whereas I heavily preferred POP.

Cobra: This is one of the most nakedly political movies I have seen - an absurd far-right fantasy. 

I won’t rant about how wrong it is, but I will say it makes no sense at all. Cobretti’s enemies in the police are given terrible lines and worse arguments, they don’t believe mountains of evidence and Cobretti is too “cool” to explain anything. The final battle sees Cobretti with a Game Genie surgically implanted in his brain, as his ridiculously perfect aim with a handgun had me laughing and guffawing.

Also, Brigette Nielsen is not a good actress.

Films Watched: 2

Hot Tub Time Machine: pretty decent. Very predictable, but there are good performances. Sebastian Stan as the villain of EVERY eighties movie was a delightful surprise.

Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell: review forthcoming

• Features: 6
  • Shorts:
  • Documentaries:
  • Rewatches:

I can't think of two different movies:

Hot Tub Time Machine 2: This was fun as fuck. I enjoyed the change in template, but I feel like the film suffers from lack of Cusack.

Midsommar: I don't want to say much about this film, because I feel a review is in the making. But, holy shit. Wish I'd been able to see this in 2019 now that I think of last year's best, if you catch my drift.

• Features: 8
  • Shorts:
  • Documentaries:
  • Rewatches:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe: Tilda Swinton really is the star here. The child actors aren't bad but this is 100% her movie.

Planet Terror/Deathproof: I ended up watching Grindhouse. Planet Terror is definitely the better of the two films but the last 30 minutes of Deathproof almost make it worth watching.

Iron Man: Starting a slow rewatch of all of the Marvel films this year, taking my time though. Iron Man feels very different from the films that came after it. It's not trying to create connective tissue like in most other films, the look and feel is different, it's just so obvious that the MCU connections came later when it became successful.

Films: 8

The Sheik: what a delightful man. Honestly. His drug addiction stuff is hard to watch, but it never turns him into a monster. 

Next: trying to fill the holes in my Nic Cage filmography with watches and long overdue rewatches. This was a first time watch for me. It's actually pretty fun. It is pulpy AF. It's stupid, but it's got  a lot of heart. Jessica Biel deserved the Oscar for this. I was surprised by the end. I would watch this again. Next up...Knowing.

• Features: 9
  • Shorts:
  • Documentaries: 1
  • Rewatches:

Scream 2: Another re-watch inspired by William and Skyler's review on the podcast.

The opening scene is ridiculous. For a series that tries to set itself in the real world, having people partying and celebrating a movie that recounts what in this universe was a series of real life murders that took place one year earlier is utterly absurd. The victims would have that shut down and all of the people celebrating would be on a terrorist watch list - even before 9/11. This was beyond stupid, and would have been a better fit in one of those awful Wayans' Brothers "Scary Movie" parodies.

There are problems with the rest of the movie (the ending scene was far too partisan) but the opening scene is what I had a problem with.

Films watched: 4

Tammy and the T-Rex: wow...review forthcoming. (Yes the gore cut)

Knowing: this was a genuinely good movie. It has some bad CGI, but I really enjoyed it. I don't know how I feel about the ending, but I enjoyed the bulk of it. Cage is...subdued here. And it works.

• Features: 11
  • Shorts:
  • Documentaries: 1
  • Rewatches:

Pick It Up: Ska In The 90s: Exactly what it says on the tin. Lots and lots of talking heads detailing the history of a subculture that because popular for about three years if we're being EXTREMELY generous. Great story from the guys at KROQ detailing how they found No Doubt because they were looking for a band that sounded kinda like Sublime, but weren't an absolute fucking nightmare to deal with.

Also, have no fear, Dan from 1997; Monique Powell is still pretty fucking hot.

10 Things I Hate About You: There are many movies that I always seem to watch towards the beginning of every year once I can change up everything again. This is one of them. It's basically the best of all the late 90s-early 00s Teen Romance movies.

Bumblebee: I was worried that it wouldn't hold up to a second viewing. It definitely does!

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs: It's not my cup of tea but it's something that I can definitely see has merits.

The VelociPastor: Motherforking Shirtballs! Is it Citizen Kane? Hell no! Is it a campy film about a Pastor who turns into a badly costumed Raptor who fights ninjas? Yeah, and that just makes even more gloriously insane!

Films: 12