Round 1: Iron Man 2 v Thor: Ragnarok

Missy

Round 1: Iron Man 2 v Thor: Ragnarok   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the best

• Iron Man 2
    • Thor: Ragnarok

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/03/2020 at 05:00 PM

Iron Man 2 has some interesting ideas, does a decent job developing Tony, and has a version of the Silver Centurion armor, but Thor: Ragnarok is easily one of the best MCU films to date. It's fun, has epic stakes, does more for The Hulk than his own movie, introduces the badass that is Valkyrie, continues to really dig in deep to Thor's psyche, and, of course:

6640230-hela.gif

43 minutes ago, slothian said:

tenor.gif

Up until my last rewatch I was with you but going into Ragnarok knowing what to expect made its aping of GOTG much more tolerable and I really enjoyed it. 

IM2 gets a lot of shit - it's pretty poor but there are some decent moments in amongst the bullshit. 

I still can't decide if Ragnarok's humor gets in the way of the critique of imperialism, or if it enhances the piss-take. Like that bit from Korg at the end saying that Asgard will be rebuilt then saying never mind as it gets wrecked to nothingness, it didn't feel like an accident it came from the director himself. But it still feels so much like the typical Marvel humor.

Either way, it's still Ragnarok that's superior, even if I did enjoy IM2 in the cinema.

12 hours ago, Donomark said:

An interesting match-up would be Ragnarok against either of the Guardians movies, since they're made from the same think-street of irreverent wise-assery. 

Except the Guardians movies do tone better. And humour. And soundtrack usage. And direction. And pacing.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:01 PM, Davedevil said:

I still can't decide if Ragnarok's humor gets in the way of the critique of imperialism, or if it enhances the piss-take. Like that bit from Korg at the end saying that Asgard will be rebuilt then saying never mind as it gets wrecked to nothingness, it didn't feel like an accident it came from the director himself. But it still feels so much like the typical Marvel humor.

Either way, it's still Ragnarok that's superior, even if I did enjoy IM2 in the cinema.

I don't buy into much of the pats on the back people give Ragnarok for critiquing imperialism as much as it does, on the basis that it doesn't really seem to change much. T'Challa got a scene where he confronted his father for his past sins which lead to turmoil in the present. Odin gets to have both the shady background and the heavenly spirit image while Thor seemed to not give a shit about learning anything he learned of his dad. Like, yeah, Odin was a shit, with Hella conquered and killed untold billions of people and from those crimes created Asgard, but it's still awesome that he encourages Thor at the end. Like, how sincere is Waititi's inclusion of that thread, really?

I don't think you can lay any of the story beats specifically at Waititi's feet as he was solely the director and has no official hand in the screenplay. That's not to say he doesn't have input, but I think you have to divorce the man from the critical reading of this movie.

Ugh, the "critical reading of Thor: Ragnarok" - tragic occurences does not equal depth. God, I can't wait to vote against this garbage....

• Missy locked this topic